PDA

View Full Version : Volvo automobiles

cathouse willy
12-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Are there any Volvo drivers- lovers/haters on this crew? I've adopted an 85 240 wagon.Purchase was cheap for it's condition.I've now become familiar with the terms (all expensive) air mass meter,idle speed control motor, fuel pump etc etc.and I was well on my way to being a Volvo hater. Now 1 year later the bugs seem to be worked out and I'm fast becoming a Volvo lover. Anyone got Volvo stories?

Lew Barrett
12-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I owned one Volvo, an '82 I bought new. It was without a doubt the worst new car I have ever owned, and the dealer service backed that up in spades. I once left the car at the dealer's for them to find a persistent problem that caused the car to not start intermittently. Not only did they fail to find the problem, they stole my radar detector and refused to make good when I pointed out that the detector was not on the windscreen. They acted as if I were the criminal.

I can't blame that on the car, that is, their crappy service, but not starting? All Volvo. I had many other problems with that car as well. It may have been a lemon, and probably should have been reported as such, but once bitten twice shy.

BrianW
12-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I sense an ebb in the Force... somewhere JoeCSOH is overheating an iPhone in response.

cathouse willy
12-13-2008, 08:24 PM
The lights have been flickering here too. Too bad he's Banned

BrianW
12-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Didn't know he were banned again.

Let me try to help 'channel' Joe...

"Love my gronical warming heated seats, space for Lucky, and the way they soar gracefully in a lateral 360 roll, landing back on all four wheels." "Ya folla?"

paladin
12-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Good grief.....Joe dunn shot himself in the foot again....whaddiid he do this time....?

The Bigfella
12-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I think it involved a dog and a rope

Hughman
12-13-2008, 11:07 PM
I've driven Volvos for a long time. Usually ancient ones - I had a '65 wagon with 500K+ on it, -2 junkyard engines, - and currently have a '90 240 wagon with 280K. Anyone who was at the WB show this year will attest that I am trying to beat it to death....

I'd recommend a company in Portland OR called IPD http://www.ipdusa.com/ for aftermarket parts and advice. They will talk to you, really!

Lew, you car wouldn't start because the booster pump relay was pooched. I'd bet on it. That one drove me nuts for a while, :D

SMARTINSEN
12-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I have a 1992 740 wagon, closing in on 200,000 miles. It is going strong. 30 MPG on the highway (with a tailwind). It is rust-free after all of these New England winters; better than any other car or truck that I have ever had. Good in the snow with snow tires.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/3106627968_596797a7c0.jpg?v=0

You can see why they are called bricks.

IPD is good, but FPCGroton.com is cheaper, and they carry a more complete inventory. There are lots of older ones on the road,and the parts are easily availabe at the junk yards.

My car has been reliable, and it is easy to work on for preventative maintenance or if repairs are needed. I plan on keeping this car forever.

There is a Volvo forum at Brickboard.com. Like here there are many knowledgeable members that can answer just about any question that you may have. (But they don't have the Bilge.)

Hughman
12-13-2008, 11:52 PM
yup, http://www.fcpgroton.com/ is good, I bought an exhaust system from them. shipping from Portland OR to Portland ME adds cost, although sometimes IPD has free shipping weeks

Rapelapente
12-14-2008, 02:52 AM
I had a 88 760 Turbo. And hadn't any trouble with her for 200,000 Km. At that point she died, gloriously, in saving my life. I had an accident on a motor way. The car was destroyed, in a banana shape, no more wheels underneath, no more windshield nor glass windows, the rear bumper raised to the top of the "formal" roof... and no injury for me ... Oh! yes ! i got soaked from the rain....

Bill Lowe
12-14-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm on my third 1995 850 Wagon 5 speed stick, 219.000 miles runs good, holds 2 kayaks, tows boats, holds lots of tools, line, etc.

rbgarr
12-14-2008, 06:52 AM
My children carpooled to school in another's Volvo on some days. Someone t-boned them in the driver's wheel well one day.

The front clip separated and swung around so that the front of the car lay along side the back half just like a door swung all the way open. They hardly felt a thing sitting in the back seat.

Volvo is okay by my lights.

The Gentleman Sawyer
12-14-2008, 09:02 AM
We have a 240 with 189K miles. Still as tight as the day we bought it. Easy to work on, but Hughman is right, that fuel pump relay will drive you crazy! I often wonder if the carmakers would be in as much trouble if they still made cars like the 240. Simple, safe, reliable transportation.

Ken

michigangeorge
12-14-2008, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE= I often wonder if the carmakers would be in as much trouble if they still made cars like the 240. Simple, safe, reliable transportation.

Ken[/QUOTE]

I had two 240 series and they were wonderful cars- built like a tank.
My wife also had two of the newer models - not so good :-(

Safe, simple, reliable and well built are just what we need !

retrowood
12-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Purchased new 240 DL sedan in 1986, sold with 120,000 and it drove very well and was very tight still at that mileage. My experience was they're good cars overall although have some weaknesses. Location of fuse panel is a problem with moisture and corrosion. Relativley easy to work on. I think if you follow the factory maint. requirement intervals and have dealer do all the work they can be expensive. I'd like to have a wagon w/ 5 speed manual again. They have tons of room inside and if you blow the engine you can put either a small block, Ford or Chevy in them.
I feel happy ownership depends on if you can DIY.....

Retrowood

Bruce Hooke
12-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I grew up in Volvo wagons (1972 and 1980 models or thereabouts). My experience was that they were great cars but that it was vitally important to have a good Volvo mechanic. The dealers charged absurd prices and people who did not work on Volvos all the time didn't understand Volvos.

I would love to have 1980's vintage Volvo wagon but at this point they are too old to be reliable in my opinion, and the gas mileage is also not that great.

Nicholas Scheuer
12-14-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't know which model it is, but a friend tows a 35000-lb GVW Shearwater yawl and trailer all over the NE with his Volvo. A Shearwater is a Bolger/Duff designed 28-ft yawl constructed in fiberglass and Airex foam core.

Moby Nick

cathouse willy
12-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Mine is an 85 with 180k miles.It's still very tight and solid. They have lots of sporty features for a fat heavy car, eg; real fuel inj, 4 wheel disc brakes,decent suspension, rack and pinion steering, overhead cam, iron block. A useful pleasant driver tho the fuel mileage is not good.For the same dollars I could have bought an equally worn k car or their like, and at 6' 1" and over 200 lbs it fits well so I'm happy.

Lew Barrett
12-14-2008, 08:06 PM
I see that I am heavily outweighed. I'm glad you guys are enjoying your Volvos! I really am! No, really!

john l
12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
i have a 92 240 wagon with 210,000 miles. going great, so far. bought in used in 94. also have a 02, v70 with 140,000 miles. leased it for 3 years then bought it. its been a fantastic car- great driving and comfort- no problems so far. hope to keep both of them till 3rd son is out of college. but a diesel vw sportwagon is looking pretty good.
the thing with volvos is to avoid the dealers. you need to find some guy who has his own shop after working at a dealer. i'm not saying all dealers are bad,
my dealer used to be good until he was bought out by a concern that owned
multiple dealers. i stopped using him once car went out of warranty.
i found a company in washington state that reconditions your old 240 and fits it with a rebuilt volvo diesel. this makes them good for another 15 years. it costs $10K.

Lew Barrett
12-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I expect the warning about the dealers is a key. There was nothing inherent in the car that spoke of poor quality; after all, I test drove it and was impressed enough to buy it. The dealer (Ravenna Volvo, since moved and, under the same ownership, now called "Seattle Volvo") was the worst I ever dealt with. In the car's defense........

elf
12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Joe asked me to post this:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m320/fosterhere/Crash.jpg

He survived unscathed.

Chris Coose
12-15-2008, 12:08 PM
I've got a 91 940 SE sedan with 210,000 on it. A real peppy 4cyl. turbo
It went into a shop a couple of years ago and the tech changed all the fluids and did a complete blowout on the PCV system. Cost a couple of grand to have this guy work the old car through.
I switched to synthetic oil at about 150,000.
I've got a permanent roof rack and a trailer hitch on it.
The contractor down the hill has dubbed it the only 3/4 ton Volvo pick up in Maine.
Great stereo. Great heater. Decent mileage.

I expect that major run through by the guy who knew exactly what the car needed added another 1-200,000 to the life of the car.

Canoeyawl
12-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I am a Volvo fan...
"For many years, it was one of the safest cars in the world. American automotive fatality records, which are very complete, recorded no fatalities in a Volvo 240 until 1993. After that year, however, fatalities rose to 80-100 per year. Of course, an unknown portion of this may be because of the demographics of the Volvo driving population, which would tend to be more stable and less inclined to higher risk driving."
link (http://www.cars-directory.net/gallery/volvo/245/)

schlaboatnic
12-15-2008, 02:40 PM
A few years back the wife went to the dealer to test drive a nifty XC wagon and came home with the XC90, which has now been the worst car we have ever owned! A sampling of the problems:Drivers window stuck in the down position, drivers door speaker/trim fell off, transmission growling (not what was going on but fixed under warranty). Just last night she asked me to fill up the windshield washer resevoir. I did and found most of it spilling out on the garage floor. Turns out the tank is leaking. A simple fix you might think?!? No, we're talking Volvo here. After I removed the HEADLIGHT MODULE to inspect the tank more closely, I find the unibody or whatever the hell construction type you want to call it prevents any type of "easy" removal. I still can't figure out how to replace the tank. Maybe go after it from underneath, hard to say. Unfortunately, this does not fall under our engine/drivetrain warranty. She traded in a Ford Expedition on this little beauty.
The Ford got 16/20 MPG, the Volvo 14/16. Not to mention, I'd be able to change the washer fluid resevoir myself!

Paul Pless
12-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Of course, an unknown portion of this may be because of the demographics of the Volvo driving population, which would tend to be more stable and less inclined to higher risk driving.Joe notwithstanding.;)

john l
12-15-2008, 10:44 PM
hey, i think this thread is a jinx. tonight, all of a sudden my transmission isn't shifting into top gear on my 92-240 wagon. i'change the fluid tomorrow and hope that solves it.

SMARTINSEN
12-15-2008, 10:58 PM
hey, i think this thread is a jinx. tonight, all of a sudden my transmission isn't shifting into top gear on my 92-240 wagon. i'change the fluid tomorrow and hope that solves it.

Overdrive relay is behind the ashtray.

David McCollum
12-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I had a '91 240 sedan, and it was a good car. Later we had a '99 V70 and it was not near as good. Got rid of it at around 103,000 miles because if you started it up but then quickly shut it off for any reason, it would not restart, until a day later. Dealer admitted it happens a lot to their new ones on the lot, like when they need to shift them around and run them only briefly. No solution. The '99 was less comfortable than the '91 240

My biggest complaint about the '99 was the factory official repair manual was outrageously expensive. It wasn't even a book, but a CD ROM. It cost $700 as I recall. And that was just the basic one without transmission overhaul info. On the plus side, I always thought Volvo parts at the dealer were reasonably priced.

GM repair manuals are only $140, and they are on real paper.

cathouse willy
12-16-2008, 03:06 PM
It seems that whenever auto makers end a long established run of a model they have to start over again as far as quality and reliability.I believe the 200 series ran from 73 til 93 and was the last of the rear wheel drive volvo's. There are still lot's of good buys out there if your're careful.Unless I win a lottery I'll never buy another new car, I'll just shop for another 240 when this one dies.

SMARTINSEN
12-16-2008, 07:08 PM
It seems that whenever auto makers end a long established run of a model they have to start over again as far as quality and reliability.I believe the 200 series ran from 73 til 93 and was the last of the rear wheel drive volvo's. There are still lot's of good buys out there if your're careful.Unless I win a lottery I'll never buy another new car, I'll just shop for another 240 when this one dies.

940 is RWD and was built til 1996

Also the 960 which morphed into the V90/S90, which is 6 cylinder. They are also RWD and were built up to 1998.

But you are correct that 1993 was the last year for the 240.

On the Volvo boards You can start an argument along the lines of "Is CPES good or not?" , by asking "Which is the better car, the 240 or the 740?"

Properly cared for, the B230 engine should last just about forever. I agree with you 100%, as I have said, I plan to run my Volvo for as long as I can drive.

tonydezoc
12-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I rolled my 345 on my way to work about ten years ago, hit black ice and ended up sliding sideways on the wrong side of the road at about 50mph before hitting an earth bank and flipping over, walked away with a bruised thigh, glad there wasn't anything coming against me at the time though

Mad Scientist
12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Once upon a time, the 200-series cars were assembled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, from `kits`shipped from Sweden. In those days, the Halifax facility had the highest quality rating of all Volvo facilities anywhere.
Then, around the time that the 700-series was introduced, Volvo got bought out by some other automaker, and they closed the Halifax facility, and moved production to Mexico.
There might have been a `learning curve`for the Mexican employees, but I`m inclined to blame Volvo for getting away from their `roots`, WRT simple, solid cars.

Tom

Popeye
12-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Once upon a time, the 200-series cars were assembled in Halifax, Nova Scotia, from `kits`shipped from Sweden. i can remember that , iirc it had to do with hafilax being the nearest port of call for overseas shipping , and a neat way to get the cars into the na market , back then volvo build quality was a bit dicey tho'

afaik , vw has an 'assembly' plant in mexico ,and they turn out lower quality than the german plants for some unknown reason

Popeye
12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
anyone , remember , recall , ever heard of ..

the bricklin ..

http://auta5p.eu/katalog/bricklin/bricklin_sv1_05.jpg

Mad Scientist
12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes, most of us in the `40-plus`crowd in Atlantic Canada would remember the Bricklin.
My most prominent memory: they bought engines from GM, and discovered that they needed stronger springs in the front end to carry the weight! I guess somebody couldn`t do math...

Just another in the long list of govenment-subsidized failures in our part of the world. This one was in New Brunswick, but Nova Scotia had Clairtone, and Newfoundland had that cucumber greenhouse scheme...

Tom

john l
12-19-2008, 09:44 PM
well a transmission fluid change did the trick on my 240. shifting as good as new. somewhere over the years i read that changing transmission fluid in 200k
plus cars could actually hasten their demise. we'll see. my fingers are crossed.