PDA

View Full Version : The Welfare Fleet

Chris Coose
12-08-2008, 08:06 AM
An outcome of yesterday's assembly of rats in Portland was the birth of two actions.
We are a new yacht club called the Welfare Fleet. (The name lifted from a club in Northeast Harbor that is defunct).
We have a cruise planned for August around the mid coast.

As to details, to which there are none as yet, we'll probably return to People and Places but a Bilge announcement this time of year will alert those internationalists, New Porters, Headers and locals who may need 9 or 10 months to prepare.

The Bigfella
12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
But there are no photos to prove that this event even took place.

Mrleft8
12-08-2008, 11:08 AM
And when the race is over, will everyone go to the Wellfleet Fair? :D

Hughman
12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
ok, I guess I'll float the ol leaker next year, just to attend this....

rbgarr
12-09-2008, 03:00 PM
The entire cruise will be photo-forbidden. Anyone caught taking endlessly self-congratulatory snapshots will be sluiced. Vanity is a sin. Here endeth the lesson.

The Great and Wonderful CMC* has spoken.

*Club Membership Chairman

Chris Coose
12-09-2008, 03:50 PM
ok, I guess I'll float the ol leaker next year, just to attend this....

Hooked.
That's the one I most wanted to lure.
You've got 8 months brother.

What's the best bait for the Hudson River cat?

huisjen
12-09-2008, 04:02 PM
What's the make-up of the fleet? Will the cruise come as far down as Eggemogin Reach?

Dan

John of Phoenix
12-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Sluiced? Sounds like a ride at WaterWorld.

Good luck with your membership drive. You have some great cruising waters.

David G
12-09-2008, 05:09 PM
The entire cruise will be photo-forbidden. Anyone caught taking endlessly self-congratulatory snapshots will be sluiced. Vanity is a sin. Here endeth the lesson.

The Great and Wonderful CMC* has spoken.

*Club Membership Chairman

WAIT -- I thought vanity was a reason for existence. We must be of different religions ;) As evidence, please see the following 34 links to fotos of myself, my kids, my boats, my matchbox collection, and my dogs best buddies. Enjoy!:)

Seriously, you think you can assemble a great group of boats, cruise some of the finest waters in the world, and not share it at all with the rest of us who are not so blessed??? You parsimonious, greedy, old skinflint :eek: I may just have to take up a collection to bribe one of your members to do some stealth foto work - and maybe smuggle a skunk aboard your boat :p

"We are born brave, trusting, and greedy. Most of us remain - at the very least - greedy"

rbgarr
12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
That better be a sizable collection. I have a sixth sense and uncanny hearing that can locate the direction and location of a shutter click within half a degree and a few millimeters. I think I caught the superpower from Gareth during a yacht delivery.

Sluicing is not to be taken lightly. Waterboarding? Ha! Mere child's play by comparison. The implements of infliction alone will cause you to 'shrinkwrap', if you catch my drift.

Among the beasts of the animal kingdom skunks understand and fear sluicing the most. Wise creatures.

rbgarr
12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
That was most likely the Downeast Yacht Club, also from Boothbay Harbor (not that I feel any need to defend the BHYC). They are truly a rowdy and fun-loving group, consider Seal Bay their ancestral stomping grounds by divine right and have been doing what you experienced for decades. Kind of like snowmobilers or tailgaters only afloat. Or an out-of-control summer camp.

I think they actually enjoy annoying people who are looking for solitude and peace.

StevenBauer
12-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Mary and I are in. We've been meaning to take Talisman up that way for ever. :D

http://sims.myphotos.cc/%7Ewave16/2008cruise/10_11_08/content/bin/images/large/cr_10_11_08_115.jpg

Steven

rbgarr
12-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Good luck!

http://www.downeastyachtclub.com/events.html

Chris Coose
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
What's the make-up of the fleet? Will the cruise come as far down as Eggemogin Reach?

Dan

No make up allowed. Unless rbgarr drags out in his Capt. Jack Sparrow costuming.
The talk so far was a few days of cruising, mid coast because as it turned out the crew at this historic assembly all have boats located in the mid coast.
Eggemogin might be on the upper edge of the neighborhood. Don't they already have some wooden boat stuff scheduled down that way?

rbgarr
12-10-2008, 06:25 AM
HEY!! Watch it, buddy. I may be the only one in a power/safety boat and that little cat boat makes an easy target even if it is teak planked.

(How did you know about the make-up, anyway?? Margaret has no idea.)

Hwyl
12-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Fare ye well oh welfare

Tylerdurden
12-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Yes, you're right... it was the Downeast Yacht Club. I have no objection to rowdiness and fun-loving... but those of us who value a magical evening of the quiet solitude of a place like Seal Bay shouldn't have to put up with that crap.

SWMBO and I have decided that we won't go back to Maine until we have their cruise schedule in hand... so we can avoid those assholes!

Typical Masshole. This is their home not yours.

Chris Coose
12-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Note to the chair of the membership committee:
Check the by -laws on a couple items, would ya?
Is there any prohibition on somebody's address?
Is there any prohibition on the material a member's boat is made of?

Tylerdurden
12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Note to the chair of the membership committee:
Check the by -laws on a couple items, would ya?
Is there any prohibition on somebody's address?
Is there any prohibition on the material a member's boat is made of?

Address? This planet with exception of committee.:eek:

Materiel's? Must enable the craft to float.:rolleyes:

Chris Coose
12-10-2008, 09:10 AM
So I'm thinking Seal Bay is home to seals and those of us who visit the top part don't get to call it home whether they are from Boothbay or MA.

Cripes, I am a masshole who is disturbed when sharing a cove with one other boat who quietly settle in at dusk. When a fleet shows up I pull anchor.
It's not worth raising a turf battle as you never know who might have a magazined shotgun in the cockpit.

Russ Manheimer
12-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Chris/Dave,

Any thoughts of dates? I'll be up for the SRR and for a week in August. Perhaps a WBF charter might be in the cards. Are reciprocal club rights honored?

Russ

John of Phoenix
12-10-2008, 10:36 AM
That Down East Yacht Club does look like a rowdy crowd. They even have their own air force. I'd wager there's a swivel gun or two hidden in there.

http://www.downeastyachtclub.com/emAlbum/albums/Sunflower%20Raft/DSC03216_JPG.jpg

Chris Coose
12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Russ, Are you asking if reciprocal club rights gets you a date for the cruise?

How about that week August 16th - the 22nd? Why not pick the best week of the summer to cruise Maine?

Eventually this thing should get lifted to People & Places. I'll go there now with a new thread.

Russ Manheimer
12-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Sounds about right for me. If you find yourselves near the Reach, Julia and I can appropriate one of my brothers boats and stop by for a day or so. Maybe even Jamie can show up for an August visit. He got as far Downeast as North Haven last year.

See you upstairs,

russ

rbgarr
12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
That Down East Yacht Club does look like a rowdy crowd. They even have their own air force. I'd wager there's a swivel gun or two hidden in there.

http://www.downeastyachtclub.com/emAlbum/albums/Sunflower%20Raft/DSC03216_JPG.jpg

See those people swimming in the center of the raft? They are the losers from the traveling non-stop game of strip poker. Shortly after the pic was taken they were the targets for 'Flare Pistol Family Fun'.

Joe (SoCal)
05-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Bump for captains meeting this weekend. As usual trying to get my ****e together to go :) Whats the game plan where am I driving what am I doing and how am I doing it LOL :)

stevebaby
05-19-2009, 09:45 AM

http://www.downeastyachtclub.com/emAlbum/albums/Sunflower%20Raft/DSC03216_JPG.jpg"Target-rich environment"?:D

StevenBauer
05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Bump for captains meeting this weekend. As usual trying to get my ****e together to go :) Whats the game plan where am I driving what am I doing and how am I doing it LOL :)

Drive up here after work Friday. I'll put you to work sanding and varnishing Saturday morning and at noon we'll head up to South Bristol. Skipper's meeting, lobster dinner, a little boating, sleep on the dock under the stars then after breakfast Sunday head to Boothbay and see Vinny's Acacia on the way home. :D

Steven

Joe (SoCal)
05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Drive up here after work Friday. I'll put you to work sanding and varnishing Saturday morning and at noon we'll head up to South Bristol. Skipper's meeting, lobster dinner, a little boating, sleep on the dock under the stars then after breakfast Sunday head to Boothbay and see Vinny's Acacia on the way home. :D

Steven

Sounds good, So I'll leave my boat supplies, paint, varnish & scrapers in the Volvo eh ;)

BTW what's the Lucky Dog possibilities ? I have a neighbor that can watch him but he likes road trips ;)

StevenBauer
05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Lucky is always welcome here. :)

Steven

Chris Coose
05-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Begin with google map:
1942 Rt. 129 South Bristol, Maine

Then determine if that is doable.

I shall be there from noon Friday till later Monday.
Steven, Mary, Hugh and a few others should be around.

Steven may be hauling the blue Jay down with some of steven's crafts. I'll look to rig Victoria Friday and into Saturday if necessary.
We have a large canoe and a couple kayaks and plenty of places to sail and paddle to.

Just mapped it from Cold Spring to S. Bristol. 6 hours 30 minutes.

There are beds, floors, couches, platforms to tent. Do bring at least a sleeping bag, an air mattress and a tent if you've got one.

Bring your favorite luxury food and drink and we shall make at least one trip to the grocery store when we inventory the eaters. There is a big cooler on the pier and free ice from the ice pond house up the road.

Likely a lobster feed on the pier for saturday night but the steamer and grille on the pier would be prepared to roar at any time.

The weather looks overcast for the weekend.
I may be coming down by big new FG powerboat, assisting a friend who would like to bolster his seagoing confidence.
Lucky dog ought to love it.

High water is 10:41 AM Saturday for Captain's reference.
Slips, and launch facilities are all within a stone's throw of the house.

Joe (SoCal)
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Driving directions to 1942 State Route 129, ME 04568
363 mi about 6 hours 30 mins

Doable ;) Cold Spring to Tabitha is 450 miles some of it beltway and 9+ hrs Did that one once for just a 24 hr visit :eek:

Chris Coose
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I am real happy to hear that Joe.
Good you brought this up on the bilge page just in case.
Remember, I'll be around till Monday. Just in case you might want to take some time on Victoria.

Everybody is welcome.

Forgot to add ..... there a couple nice berths on Victoria.

Joe (SoCal)
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I am real happy to hear that Joe.
Good you brought this up on the bilge page just in case.
Remember, I'll be around till Monday. Just in case you might want to take some time on Victoria.

Everybody is welcome.

If I cant go on Talisman ( at least I can help sant & scrape :) ) I better be going on Victoria if I'm driving all the way up there ;)

I'll be driving back on Monday afternoon just as long as I can make it home by 10pm ish I should be fresh for the cubical on Tuesday :p

John of Phoenix
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Don't forget -

Pictures
Pictures
Pictures

Joe (SoCal)
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Don't forget -

Pictures
Pictures
Pictures

UH DUH :rolleyes:

rbgarr
05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Chris,

If I can come over by boat on Saturday afternoon is there (a) mooring and dinghy available ... or a dock for landing anyway?

Thx-

StevenBauer
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
You can go on Talisman, Joe, but she'll be in the driveway. You could sleep onboard, even. I scraped and sanded the starboard bottom today. Port side tomorrow. :)

We're thinking we'll work on the boat in the morning then head up to Chris's by lunchtime.

Steven

huisjen
05-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I haven't figured out all of my plan yet, but was more or less thinking of coming in the early afternoon on Saturday. I haven't fixed the centerboard trunk on the lightning yet. I was thinking of bringing The Ensign's Gig. So that would be a skiff on hand.

Dan

StevenBauer
05-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Joe, it should be just under 5 hours to my house. If you leave the cubicle at 5 I'll pour the rum by 10. :D

Steven

rbgarr
05-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Steven,

Will Mary be going along, too?

StevenBauer
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Mary's coming but not the kids.

Steven

Chris Coose
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Chris,

If I can come over by boat on Saturday afternoon is there (a) mooring and dinghy available ... or a dock for landing anyway?

Thx-

Yep to both.
There is a mooring close by and we'll watch for you to skiff in. By the time you get to my pier anytime after mid afternoon there won't be water.
On the Boothbay side of the Gut swing bridge is the town landing with a small float that you can tie up to and walk up over the street to the house.
But do go through the bridge and steer right directly into the little cove. You'll see Victoria.

Chris Coose
05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Steven, I've rigged the Blue Jay for travel. Easy snatch from the lot next to my house. I believe it is now 50-50 that I'll be headed by boat. Which means I may drive down and haul the Blue Jay. I'll remain in touch.
We'll figure the tow ball business if necessary.

Chris Coose
05-19-2009, 06:45 PM
It'll be nice to meet you in person Dan.

Chris Coose
05-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't see anybody who is headed down Friday.
My plans have changed a bit which gets me there later in the afternoon on Friday.
207-831-1792.
Phone reception is in and out but generally pretty good out next to the road. There is no phone hardwired and there is no internet connection. Unless you go over to the neighbor's and pirate his wireless.

huisjen
05-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I should be underway in a few minutes. ETA within three hours. I'm just trying to remember what else I should be bringing along.

Dan