PDA

View Full Version : KATY build update 8/dec/08

Bernadette
12-08-2008, 04:55 AM
just a brief update

finished lofting and started on the sawn frames now. we are using grey satin ash (otherwise known as watergum) for the laminated frames. finished frame size will be 2 1/2" x 2 1/2". doubled up in way of the mast and an extra lamination on stations 1 and 9 as im not putting in any collision bulkheads this time. bent timbers (ribs) will follow in between the frames.

its been a bit difficult to get timber and we are probably looking at using grey satin ash for the stem and sternpost but the keel is of course spurwood as previously mentioned. we will be planking in spurwood and yellow siris.

im thinking that i will be varnishing the transom and painting the hull green (the latter just like KATY)! ive always wanted to do that so here's my chance! dad and i are very taken with the dark hull. its never really given much consideration here in the tropics for obvious reasons.

the weather here is extremely hot. despite the relative physical ease of planing timber, rivulets of sweat continuosly roll of our bodies and our clothes get sopping wet very quickly.

bernadette

Thad
12-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the update. Moving right along!