PDA

View Full Version : I took this through airport security....

Larks
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM
without knowing that I did:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/Larks_01/Spyderco.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/Larks_01/08122008001.jpg
I'd been packing up everything in my apartment in Darwin to move out so really didn't have much of an idea where anything was.

Just before leaving for the airport I swapped carry-on bags so that I could take some study materials on board to read on the way home and had no idea that this was at the bottom of the bag until I just tipped everything out on the bed here at home on the GC.

As you can see it is not a particularly small knife and it is particularly sharp as I use it all the time.

Great airport security eh????????:(

Paul Pless
12-07-2008, 05:05 PM
That's not a knife.

sorry... couldn't resist;)

Rich VanValkenburg
12-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Not exactly something I'd tell the world about. Someone sinister might get the idea that they can try it. Airport security varies though, and also depends on the attitude of those working security.

BrianW
12-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I accidentally took a Leatherman through TSA during our vacation to Hawaii. I can understand how they missed it, with all the camera gear and other stuff that was in my backpack.

Stuff happens.

JimJ
12-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Would you have protested if security took the knife from you before you boarded and who would have been at fault?

Dan McCosh
12-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Not surprising at all. Last time I took off with something like that, I went through the U.S. and Amsterdam security, until finally they noticed it in London.

BrianW
12-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Would you have protested if security took the knife from you before you boarded and who would have been at fault?

Me? It was my fault, even if I disagree with the rule. These days, they have mailing envelopes at many airports at security, so you can mail it home and not lose your place in line.

troutman
12-07-2008, 06:09 PM
My little Case is still at the Kerry Co. AP in Ireland. Forgot to put it in the checked bag.

willmarsh3
12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I saw a dinner silverware knife get taken at the airport in Great Falls, MT. If I ever forgot to leave my leatherman and they didn't take it I'd be mailing it back at the earliest opportunity.

Phil Heffernan
12-07-2008, 06:41 PM
TSA is fighting LAST YEARS terrorists...It is a theatrical production to give us the ILLUSION of security, when in fact there are loopholes and security gaps big enough to drive a truck through...Namely, enter the plane through the BACK door...

It's a sorry state of affairs. If I was a terrorist, I'd forget about planes (I think they have) and look at biological weapons...We need to treat these criminals as a police/interpol/intelligence issue...

PH

Bill R
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
My recent flight down to Florida, passed my SOG FlashII thru security in my laptop bag- Manchester to Philly, then Philly to Ft. Lauderdale the next day. I found it in Florida and FedExed it home.

Larks
12-07-2008, 07:01 PM

Not at all, it'd be my fault entirely and I'd have been p'ed off with myself for not checking my bag before hand and having to hand it over, it is a very good knife and I use it daily. I had actually wondered where I'd packed it when I was moving out of the apartment but I was in quite a hurry and a lot had happened over the previous 12 hours so didn't go looking for it.

bruce w
12-07-2008, 07:44 PM
late last year i took a internal flight to join our boat ,the uk security were ultra keen ,and i was called back to hold baggage check ,the issue was engine filters and 8 injecters these were in there original sealed packaging , i had to open them all ,not easy without a knife, and a specalised inspector had to be found to check them over , and at last let me fly , i arrived at my destination, Inveness, and my hold luggage ,no where to be seen ,that had been sent to Aberdeen ,on another plane ,the security now were not interested ,and simply pointed me to lost luggage ,so the boat was held up over the weekend ,whilst the injectors were tracked down , unacompanied luggage security not interested when its there fault.

Woxbox
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Today I had a tube of toothpaste confiscated. It was only half full, but they still thought it too big and dangerous.

paladin
12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Overall I think, personally, they are a bunch of idiots....especially with the crap that I carried on international flights.

pila
12-07-2008, 11:51 PM
A lady friend flew to Florida last year, and found her .357 in the bottom her carry on when she unpacked. She FEDEXed it home.
Nothing like good security.

johnw
12-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Meanwhile, I doubt you could take over an aircraft with a broadsword. The other passengers would find a way to overpower you. Or would, if their tweezers and wine bottle openers hadn't been taken away...

Yeah, that part's all theater. Putting a lock on the cockpit was the important bit.

Spin_Drift
12-08-2008, 02:21 AM
OMG... Can't resist posting this...

Australian airport security. One for the ladies reading the thread. A bit improper but amusing if you have your humor on today...

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Spin_Drift/Movies/?action=view&current=Airport.flv

Back to the serious business...;):):D

Shang
12-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Today I had a tube of toothpaste confiscated. It was only half full, but they still thought it too big and dangerous.

Well, sure... you could whack somebody over the head with it and hijack the plane.

They took my nail clippers so I couldn't clip off the plane's wings ...

Tylerdurden
12-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Don't y'all love the illusion of security?:rolleyes:

David Tabor (sailordave)
12-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Took a pocket knife through security (unwittingly) in carry on home from Bermuda. Found it when I dumped every thing on my bed to put it all away.

But the one that really got me was flying home from a bike ride and they took my little pack of foldout ALLEN wrenches b/c they "are a tool, TOOLS are not permitted!" WTF? Am I going to use one of these miniature things to gouge some Flight Attendant's eye out? Oh, I might unscrew something and take the plane apart midflight. Geez.

Wouldn't believe the questions I get about a flat roundish thingy on my keychain that was a tchotzke from DWYER mast at the boat show years ago. They can't figure out wth it is!

Tom Wilkinson
12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Tools under 7" long are permitted per the TSA website. Of course arguing that point with the TSA at the checkpoint will probably not go very well.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Shang
12-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Returning by air from a painting trip, I was hand-carrying my wooden oil painting box. The Security Thugs sent the box through the x-ray machine, but since paint tubes in those days were made of lead the x-ray showed only a white blob. So Attila's Henchmen opened the box to hand search it.
"AH HAH...!" they exclaimed, "WE'VE FOUND THE WEAPON...!"
There, on top of the paint tubes and brushes was the tiny tack hammer that I use when stretching canvases.
"Oh shaw," I said, "You've got me dead to rights... I use that tack hammer to conk the pilot on the head. Then I fly the airplane home myself, where I paint it another color and sell it...!"
That probably wasn't the right thing to say because they all started screaming at me. About that time the pilot of my flight happened by on his way to the cockpit.
"Hey!" I called to him, "These goons don't want to let me on your plane because of a tack hammer...!"
The pilot stopped, picked up the tack hammer and looked at it. He tossed the hammer back into the paint box, closed the lid and said, "For Pete'sake let the guy on my plane and let's get the show on the road..."

When I got home I dumped the paint box out on the table so I could reorganize everything.
There on the very bottom of the box, hidden by the lead paint tubes...
...was a nine-inch dagger I had used to cut some canvas, tossed in the box and forgotten about...

John of Phoenix
12-08-2008, 10:06 AM
I was behind an elderly woman waiting to go through the xray/metal dector and we were listening to the TSA guy shout to the crowd, "Remove your shoes, remove your overcoats, remove your jackets and any belt with metal in it."

She said loud enough for those around her to hear, "I'm not taking off any more clothes until someone gives me some money." Cracked everyone up(except the TSA guy).

Mrleft8
12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Carter gets through security with a BIC lighter nearly every time.....But they confiscated her miniature (1/4") scissors for cutting cross stitch thread 4 times. She now has a razor blade dealie disguised as a piece of jewelry that goes through un-noticed....

Taylor Tarvin
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Once you understahd that we have developed a security system to protect the flying public from the elderly and aircrew members it all becomes crystal clear.:D

John of Phoenix
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Once you understahd that we have developed a security system to protect the flying public from the elderly and aircrew members it all becomes crystal clear.:D

Right as the liquids ban went into effect, and all the confusion associated with it, a pilot friend related the story of an Air Marshal who had his 2 oz bottle of Visine confiscated by TSA.

Loaded pistol? No problem. Visine? No way.

Phillip Allen
12-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I think our government owes us a HAND written appology and the lay-off of ALL TSA people and a pay back of all things stolen with this ruse...I want public humiliation for all the criminals who devised this stuff...the public needs to come out legally whole

Three Cedars
12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Biological weapons can be undetectable , heck someone could be infected with some highly transmittable disease get on a plane , cough several times and pass it on, not to mention any other simple means of dispersal. If symptoms took severals hours to manifest .... the radius of infected people could be immense. Otherwise you would have to hold travelers in quarantine like was done in the age of sail for a couple weeks or more , still not perfect but something to think about.

TimH
12-08-2008, 03:24 PM
That's not a knife.

sorry... couldn't resist;)

LOL.

I had my Buck Yachtsman knife in my bag for about a year during which time I flew 3 times and they never found it. I didnt even know it was there.

A few weeks ago I flew back from DC and they found it. Had to fed ex it to myself.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d6/Crocodile_dundee_poster.jpg/390px-Crocodile_dundee_poster.jpg

paladin
12-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Prior to all the hullaballoo I carried a Ruger Super Redhawk in a little leather zip notebook bag. I would remove the shells and replace them with .44 magnum remco shot shells...you shoot someone in the crotch from 20-30 feet away with that and watch the fun, or from a low angle to the face and put a few BB's up the nose and into the brain.....and then the little FEG airweight .380 loaded with Glaser safety slugs to finish any needed business.
When things started going to hell in a handbasket we were told to let the pilot know we were armed. After takeoff I gave the Stew. a note for the pilot advising my seat number and the fact that I was armed....after a while the co-pilot comes back...walks past me...then comes and sits down...shows me the note and asks if we have a problem. I said no that HQ had asked us to advise the aircrew in case of an emergency....he looked rather relieved. I was on a flight a couple of months previously that someone decided the skyjack.....but we didn't go where he wanted and he won't do it again.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
I accidently had something really dangerous in my shirt pocket that would have caused some excitement had it been detected.
I put it there and uh.... forgot about it.
I could have taken over the whole plane by myself, no problem.

http://www.marijuana-picture.com/gallery/animated_marijuana_pics/images/animated_joint.gif

BarnacleGrim
12-08-2008, 05:27 PM
I accidentally took a Swiss army knife right through the metal detector and got away with it many years ago. I guess the sensitivity varies, sometimes I can walk through with my belt on, sometimes not.

And this weekend I had a screwdriver in my coat pocket that got confiscated on the return trip, but it went through the x-ray just fine a few days before. The least they can do is be a little consistent. Even more annoying is that the guy searching my coat couldn't find the damn thing without my help. I told him to do whatever it takes, but I guess he was just too incompetent.

Shang
12-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Several years ago I was taking the Chunnel from London to Brussels. I didn't give much thought about security since on a previous trip there was none, but this time there was, they were x-raying all of the passengers' luggage.
A guard came over to where I was waiting and said, "Excuse me, Sir, but we found this in your luggage..." He was holding the teargas spray I had packed.
Reacting with my usual James Bond aplomb I said, "Uhhhh... duh... uhmmm..."
The guard said, "I perceive that you are an American," and he produced a piece of paper which was printed with the statement, "I don't know how that [fill in the name of the contraband ] came to be in my possession. It certainly isn't mine, and I wouldn't mind a bit if you were to confiscate it right here and now."
I signed the paper on the dotted line.

The guard was quite nice about it. He explained that the authorities didn't care so much about me having teargas or hand grenades, but they were concerned that these sort of things might be pick pocketed from me and fall into the hands of the bad guys. That seemed like a convincing argument, so now when I travel I only carry everyday objects that can be used as improvised weapons, and leave the teargas and hand grenades at home.

Wild Dingo
12-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Last time I went to the mine last year I took my pocket carver in my carry on... the sheila found it and asked if I wanted to put it in my cargo luggage to which I replied "given that the cargo luggage has gone already that would be a tad hard" she smiled and asked if there was anyone that could take it and mind it till I got back I looked about saw no one I knew spotted an sniffer dog and said "No theyve gone but that dog looks like it needs a new toy if I cant have it give it to him?" she laughed gave me a slip to sign and dropped it into the bin!! friggin wacko buggars!! 200 smackers gone only had the thing for a month and in the flamin bin???? STREWTH!!!

Mad Scientist
12-10-2008, 12:30 AM
... I was on a flight a couple of months previously that someone decided the skyjack.....but we didn't go where he wanted and he won't do it again.

Another fine example of why I respect you immensely, and hope that you will, someday, find a way to publish your Memoirs.

Tom

Bob Adams
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Another fine example of why I respect you immensely, and hope that you will, someday, find a way to publish your Memoirs.

Tom

Amen to that! Hey, this sounds like an armed citizen came to the rescue. How come we never hear about that sort of thing?

BarnacleGrim
12-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Last time I forgot that my can of shaving cream was 200 ml - twice of what is allowed per container. And I had to throw away the cartridge on my razor before going through security. Makes me think I should have brought my electric one instead. But that one turns into a real weapon once the protective foil is removed!

The Bigfella
12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I carry a loaded syringe every time I fly. Damned if I know why I am allowed to do it - and I declare it each and every time.....

JimJ
12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I carry a loaded syringe every time I fly. Damned if I know why I am allowed to do it - and I declare it each and every time....

If you are carrying medication, this may explain

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/legislation/resources/pdf/prohibited_items_guidance_paper.pdf

The Bigfella
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks Jim - I've never had any accompanying documentation - and hae generally been met with blank looks. I better get a letter from the Doc.

TimH
12-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Shortly after 911 I was caught with one of these on my key chain

http://www.copeusa.org/store_files/p38opener.jpg

Cant believe they made a big deal about it.

paladin
12-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Ye olde P-38....I carry one in my wallet....my dad carried it on a key chain in WWII.....I carried it thru Vietnam...

skuthorp
12-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Yup, I have had one so long..... from scouting days I reckon. Never wears out and doesn't seem to get blunt.

Concordia...41
12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
OMG... Can't resist posting this...

Australian airport security. One for the ladies reading the thread. A bit improper but amusing if you have your humor on today...

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Spin_Drift/Movies/?action=view&current=Airport.flv

Back to the serious business...;):):D

Good. Very good. :D