PDA

View Full Version : The Overtaking Working Group of the FIA

Paul Pless
12-02-2008, 03:08 AM
The OWG is a think tank committee of engineers and aerodynamicists, that is taking action to implement new rules for 2009 to promote more on track passing; these rules will be independent of KERS. As such new rules include:

a narrower and taller rear wing
a wider front wing with on track, driver adjustable angle of attack (this should be interesting)
a reduction in the amount of sidepod and mainbody mounted appendages
a return to full slicks
a new rear diffuser that should help clean up the wake of F1 cars

The new rules are intended to reduce the amount of aerodynamic grip of the cars and increase the mechanical grip. This should promote more passing as the overtaking car will not lose as much front downforce in the draft of the lead car.

Paul Pless
12-02-2008, 03:11 AM
I wonder if the OWG can hear me shouting, "Bring Back Ground Effect Tunnels"

We'd surely get our passing back that way. The arguements against tunnels, being safety, Senna's death comes to mind(Senna's death is often blamed on tire conditions - flat tire - that negated the ground effect downforce of his car) and expense. I don't really have a convincing arguement one way or the other about safety, but screw the expense argument, this is Formula One, its supposed to be hell on the team pocketbooks!

Paul Pless
12-02-2008, 03:14 AM
Regardless of the lack of ground effects, next year should prove to be exciting.:)

seanz
12-02-2008, 03:19 AM
And if those changes fail to produce excitement...there's always F1 bikes.
:D

The Bigfella
12-02-2008, 03:29 AM
I hate to say it, but I almost always end up dozing off during F1 races - bearing in mind they are on late at night here.... its a rare race that I watch all the way through. The MotoGP bikes on the other hand....

I'm happy to work on the problem for them - at discounted rates too, provided they give me a drive of a couple of cars....

Don't they have some sort of capacitor storage device coming in that gives them a 60kW boost for overtaking?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Don't they have some sort of capacitor storage device coming in that gives them a 60kW boost for overtaking?

Google KERS kinetic energy recovery system - aka the MAD MAX FLYWHEEL.

The cure for overtaking - Speed humps in the pit lane and a ban on wings.