PDA

View Full Version : How long do you plan on?

ishmael
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I got a gander at myself in the mirror the other day. Boy, I was fit as a drum twenty years back, but now I look kinda doughy. It didn't bother me much, but I had to look at it. This is the common way of all our fates. We like to think of ourselves as fit, and we do our best, but in the end we all end up doughy.

It doesn't matter what you own, what you've made of life. How strong you were at one time.

Hwyl
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Jack I've been spending too much time in hospitals lately.

I'm very impressed and grateful to the volunteers, I think you would benefit by doing something like that. Work is good for you, you're somewhat lucky being independently, financially self sufficient, but it's good to have a reason to get out into the world.

PatCox
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I plan on having my brain transplanted into my new, freshly cloned young body when I am 120 or so.

boylesboats
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Jack,
I'll tell ya... About 12 or so years ago... I was lean.. very little belly fat... Throwing logs, wrassled with hogs, throwing hay bales onto hay wagons, fellin' trees, even picked up bare chevy small block...
Now, I could not do these things anymore without breakin' my back...
Buildin' boats as a hobby..

Yup, I am gettin' become a fat rat, because winter is near or already here...

As soon the weather warms back up in the 90's... I'll shed about 10 pounds

LeeG
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
It doesn't matter what you own, what you've made of life. How strong you were at one time.

what is "it"?

Like my sister said,,"what you do now is preperation for what you do later, is THIS where you want to be?"

where nothing matters

Captain Blight
12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Well, I plan on living forever or dying trying to.

Until then, I will probably remain a slightly tubby but quite a strong man; at 41, I can bench-press 380 (My peak was 425), deadlift over 400 (back issues) and squat nothing at all (back issues). But I work out on the leg press with 800 pounds all the time. I ride my bike *everywhere,* even when its raining, even when it's snowing, even when it's Minnesota cold. I don't do it because it's good for me (though obviously it is, my resting heart rate is 52 this morning just sitting here, and the last time I had my BP checked it was something like 78/120) but because I enjoy feeling smug at all the cagers.

That's what fitness is all about for me: feeling smug. I will never be in the kind of shape I was at 28, but in the Upper Midwest as long as you can still see your shoes you're considered 'not too heavy." I'll settle for that.

pcford
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I've been a lifelong couch potato.

Sitting in front of a computer has got to be one of the most dangerous things you can do with your body.

As I have mentioned before, I have two jobs...I do boat restoration and video now. I am doing mostly video stuff these days...I do the gym three times a week. Helps a huge amount...my body does not ache all the time. That's not a function of getting old...just being out of shape. My posture is much better and I think I have more energy.

I will likely be doing boat stuff again in a month or so...It is better than computer stuff...you are always on your feet but it really is not a workout. I hope I have the discipline to continue.

Popeye
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
there is natural limit , for most earth people, of about 150 years in our cellular lifespan

LeeG
12-01-2008, 12:57 PM
but in the Upper Midwest as long as you can still see your shoes you're considered 'not too heavy." I'll settle for that.

mine are under the couch

pcford
12-01-2008, 01:08 PM
there is natural limit , for most earth people, of about 150 years in our cellular lifespan

Don't know if I will settle for that.

Tylerdurden
12-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Try work instead of drinking and speculating about ghey crap all day.

adampet
12-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Get outside and just walk. It's cheap, it easy, just one foot in front of the other.It's the best thing you can do to keep your muscles in shape. Exercise helps with depression as well. I'm closing in on 50 and I find it's a matter of keeping moving.

Last year I passed my Red Cross Lifesaving course. I was the oldest by at least 20 years. I had to swim 500 yards, tread water for 10 minutes and pass all the course work,swimming every day for 5 days. I wasn't the fastest by far but my experience counted for lots.

This year I plan on rowing the Blackburn Challenge again. 24 miles of open ocean around Gloucester. It'll take at least 8 weeks of rowing every day to train.

" Do not go gentle into that dark night....rage , rage against the dying of the light."

have Plan, keep moving.

Adam

ishmael
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with Adam. Walk. Stay lean. But age catches us all. When I worked building houses I was rough, tough as a piece of tempered steel. I was also thirty years old.

The changes don't bother me much.

TimH
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Being in good physical shape help you get in good shape mentally.
You cant have one without the other.

ahp
12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Stay lean and exercise. The last time I took tennis lessons our teacher was 95. Skinny little guy, but good. He told us that when he decided to go to a local community college at age 70, he tried out for the varsity springboard diving team, and made it.

ishmael
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
The last time I thought on this hard was at my brother's grave. He was, potentially, a "great man." Well spoken, well studied, and it all ended in the grave. He did some good things, did some bad ones. It all ended back in the soil.

Don't mean to be maudlin, but his life ended without resolve.

pcford
12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Being in good physical shape help you get in good shape mentally.
You cant have one without the other.

That's great.

I was doing a stress test and the assistant...in his 60s...said there were guys in his rowing club in their 80s. And doing well.

On the other hand. We have friends that would be hard put to walk a quarter mile. Barring accidents and disease, it's up to you.

LeeG
12-01-2008, 03:51 PM
The last time I thought on this hard was at my brother's grave. He was, potentially, a "great man." Well spoken, well studied, and it all ended in the grave. He did some good things, did some bad ones. It all ended back in the soil.

Don't mean to be maudlin, but his life ended without resolve.

what is there to resolve?

skuthorp
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
While you are here you do the best you can, try not to harm anyone and we all fool ourselves that we leave the place a little better than when we arrived. Some with ambition do more harm than most, some with a lust for power are disastrous. A few really do try, and then we are gone leaving our or others children to repeat the process. Till that process breaks down and it gets up to bite us as a species.
Personally, it doesn't matter how much 'stuff' you accumulate, how many 'monuments' you build, how much power or talent or skills you have, you still end up dead and leave it all for someone else to clean up. You live on in memory, some good some bad, and that is up to you.

ishmael
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
"what is there to resolve?"

Bill was smart as a whip. Two masters degrees, one in history one in library science. A life long learner. He was also, when a young man, a political activist. He refused induction into the army circa 1969, when Viet Nam was raging. Worked the streets speaking against the war. Risked a lengthy prison sentence over his conviction.

Resolve? It can't be other than it was, but he would have been good in politics. Didn't have the ambition. Our father's fault, if I tried to lay blame. After Viet Nam he retreated to his books. I don't blame him.

Far from a perfect man. He was angry, a lot. And didn't cotton love well. But a fine person whom I miss.

Memphis Mike
12-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Well I guess sitting on one's butt in front of a computer for five years tends to make one a bit doughy.

Tylerdurden
12-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Well I guess sitting on one's butt in front of a computer for five years tends to make one a bit doughy.

:D:eek::D

Saltiguy
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Genetics have a lot to do with our longevity. When I hit 60, I realized I was in the 4th quarter of my life. Now, I'm seventy but still feel like I'm 45. Living in Florida is a benefit, as I'm outdoors every day, operate a charter boat, and enjoy every minute of it. Just started a new business - renting boats to vacationers. How about that! A new business endeavor at 70! Through observation, I feel that with luck and care, one can maintain a good active life up to about 85. Then, old age takes over and everything get more difficult. That's the way it was with my Dad - died at 88, and had all his health problems in the last 3 years.

LeeG
12-01-2008, 07:34 PM

whew, it's taken its toll on me. Pedaling my extra 25lbs of fat over a pass in Oregon sure drove that point home. "ok, you're doing fine, as long as my head doesn't start pounding, woof, woof, woof"

Peter Malcolm Jardine
12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm a few weeks from 50... just under six foot, weigh 205 34 waist, 44 chest. I can still pick up a small block chevy short block, altho it's seems to be getting harder...:D

What I notice is a difference in agility, but then I get doing stuff with other friends my age, and I feel okay..;)

spirit
12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
It's not the time that counts, but what you do with it... still true after all these years. Do what you want to do.

TimH
12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
so the real measure of health is if you can pick up a short block V8 or not?

capt jake
12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I have been rather sedentary the past 5-8 weeks due to an injury. Even though my food intake has lessoned a bit, I really feel doughy. Put on at least 1-14 pounds. Most of it in the first 2 weeks.

Not too many years ago....like last year, it didn't matter what I ate or did; I stayed the same weight. everybody has always told me that it would catch up with me someday. "Yeah, right!" I guess they were right! :eek:

I plan on getting at least back on the treadmill and doing some mild weights. The added weight has added to the loss in agility also. I really want to get back out in the yard working there. ;) That is the 'fun' work out! :)

Oh, the SB Chevy block? I 'used' to be able to, back I can't remember back that far. ;)

PeterSibley
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm 59 ,slower and a bit heavier than I used to be .7 pound more than I was at 30 ,some of that is muscle but most is around my waist .
Heart rate (resting ) 65 ,blood pressure 70/110 , hangin' in there .My aerobic fitness is way down , but I'm still "working fit " .I've cut my eating down a lot in the last 10 years ,an older body just doesn't seem to need the extra food .
Mum is 91 and still lives at home by herself ,so my genes are positive ! She has a few problems , but nothing that stops her doing most of what she wants , actually she has a better social life than me ! Dad died of asbestos /smoking related illness 30 years ago .

I reckon I'll be able to sail OK 'til I'm 80 /85 ...barring accidents .Good Luck and Good Health to all .

The Bigfella
12-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm 53 have put on a few pounds more than I should - and am taking them off. I'm going to my wife's cousin's funeral on Thursday. She was 53 and didn't look after herself...

I plan on being around a lot longer....

Chris Coose
12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
How much of a tally do you get looking in a mirror?
I've got 3 friends, all hovering around 50, who are in end stage cancer. They still look pretty good in the mirror.
It's more about what shape the guts are in.
Using them as a pump and filter station for toxic chemicals is a lousy plan for good living.

PatCox
12-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Ish, in the grand scheme, everyone's life ends without resolve. In the grand scheme, we all start equal and end equal. We are all together for this fleeting journey. We are all together, we are, all, together, in this. I will die like your brother, you will die like your brother, we will all die like your brother, a mixture of good and bad, squandered opportunnity, mistakes, sins, acts of redemption.

Just do, thats all there is, just do, don't let the years fly by wondering what to do, your situation is something many people would dream of, you are free, noone depends on you, you have noone left to disappoint but yourself. Ish, whatever there is in your thoughts that makes your heart leap, fucking do it, man, just do it. You could buy a serviceable fiberglass sailboat and head out for the Caribean tomorrow for next to nothing, what are you afraid of leaving? Here you are, what, about 50, 20 good years left, nothing holding you back, make your life an adventure, man, go, go go. I wish I had the freedom you have and don't appreciate. Go. Go. Go, man, stock up a library, go, read, live, take life as it comes, I bet you would meet a woman of like mind, quickly, too, and find what you now only dream of. Ish, I have tears in my eyes, that you are squandering your days. Read "Voyaging On a Small Income." Seize not just the day, but all of your remaining days, break out, Ish, don't be a tragedy. Please Ish, don't be a tragedy.

Shang
12-02-2008, 12:41 AM
"...at 41, I can bench-press 380 (My peak was 425), deadlift over 400..." --Capt. Blight

Aww...gedoutofhere, Capt. B. !
Three-eighty...? Poo!...My car weighs almost that much...!
[Good for you, Capt. B. ..my max was two-seventy...with a trusted spotter!]
I'm not yet twice your age, but I work out with half my body weight and am happy for it. Iron is seductive.
Those of you with long memories will recall my challenge... a consecutive push-up for every candle on the birthday cake... I made it last year, and I'm training for it this year.

My daddy was shooting for a hundred years, and he was really pissed that he didn't quite make it.
So was my mother.
===========
Edit: Ish, get out and walk, or jog, or adopt another doggy from the Animal Shelter.
They can't bury you as long as you're moving...

chiefypoo
12-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Its all in your mind, I 'll be 75 in january and I'm still building stuff, reading stuff, getting stuff and still wanting stuff ( old tools old boats ) my 1500 sq ft shop is get
ting crouded . I still get the job done,
Quote (Git off your duff and do some stuff )

TomF
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
... but I'm getting to enjoy the workouts, and it might even boost my energy levels. ...my brother's been working out in a restrained version of CrossFit for about 18 months.

When I saw him last month, Steve said that he thinks he's got about an extra hour every day, even in addition to the time his workouts take, because his energy levels are so much improved.

The Bigfella
12-02-2008, 05:33 PM
They say that you are as young as the woman you feel.

Paul Pless
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Just do, thats all there is, just do, don't let the years fly by wondering what to do, your situation is something many people would dream of, you are free, noone depends on you, you have noone left to disappoint but yourself. Ish, whatever there is in your thoughts that makes your heart leap, fucking do it, man, just do it. You could buy a serviceable fiberglass sailboat and head out for the Caribean tomorrow for next to nothing, what are you afraid of leaving? Here you are, what, about 50, 20 good years left, nothing holding you back, make your life an adventure, man, go, go go. I wish I had the freedom you have and don't appreciate. Go. Go. Go, man, stock up a library, go, read, live, take life as it comes, I bet you would meet a woman of like mind, quickly, too, and find what you now only dream of. Ish, I have tears in my eyes, that you are squandering your days. Read "Voyaging On a Small Income." Seize not just the day, but all of your remaining days, break out, Ish, don't be a tragedy. Please Ish, don't be a tragedy.Ish you should take this advice. Goodluck my friend.

The Bigfella
12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I thought that was one of the best pieces of advice I've ever seen on this forum.

Yep - listen to it Jack