PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging our best

ishmael
11-30-2008, 07:43 AM
There's a tremendous amount of talk about how we are killers. We are, there's no question. But rather than encourage that lets give the nod to what we can be, lovers.

I get tired of the sappy way this is produced. But we have the very real capacities of kindness. Let's cultivate those, not our darker natures. The dark nature makes better drama. If you don't have a villain you haven't got a film. That's fine, many make their lives spinning it. But that doesn't mean we have to live it.

Tylerdurden
11-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Your playing my song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgfk7DRpDDg

gregleeber
11-30-2008, 09:42 AM
You are way off target. America is the first to come to the aid of people and countries that need help provided, in large part, that it is in our best interest. Sometimes that interest is; well, interesting.

We are a country with good morals. Actually, America is a country with the best morals.

And my friend my last name is Leeber. In German that means LOVER.

You'd be surprised how much tail I was able to pull as a bachelor with that line...

Captain Blight
11-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Let's not forget that in an evolutionary sense, we are all just stupendous badasses, and we stay that way by ruthlessly exterminating competition and by spamming our immediate environment with replicas of ourselves. I don't know if "America is the country with the best morals" but I do live here, am familiar with the currency and speak the language so I might as well stick around, and try to make my environment a little more amenable to any replicas of my stupendously badassed self might be running around.

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Don't know how you consistantly dream up these strange assumptions.
If you had read any US military history you would would have found that US soldiers were very enthusiastic till it came time to start killing the enemy. They always got the hang of it when they became the targets but it was not instinctive. Killing done eyeball to eyeball was particularly difficult.
In WWI we lost about 120,000 troops in about 9 months. That's a lot of bodies. But Americans had no desire to go that route again when WWII started. Remember "America First" and our desire for neutrality?

Keith Wilson
11-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Let's not forget that in an evolutionary sense, we are all just stupendous badasses, and we stay that way by ruthlessly exterminating competition and by spamming our immediate environment with replicas of ourselves.Not quite accurate - or at least partial truth. The one thing that human beings do WAY better than any other species, the thing that has allowed us to dominate the planet, is cooperate. You probably drive a car. How many human beings had a hand in it? Think of them all - the folks who designed it, made the tooling and the production machinery, made the parts and put them together, mined the steel and aluminum and copper, drilled for the oil, refined it, made it into gasoline and motor oil and plastic feedstock, those who developed and made the paint, the upholstery fabric, the tires, the little electronic circuits for the engine controls and the stereo . . how many are there - a million? Ten million? 100 million? It's a project stretching back centuries and covering most of the planet, just to let you drive to Cub Foods. While we may use our cooperative skills for good or evil, to make war or make peace, to enslave our neighbors or perform symphonies or learn science, the fact is that cooperation in complicated enterprises is our species' characteristic talent.

ishmael
11-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, Chuck, I'll agree that the way Americans are made tends toward egalitarian and fair. That's what I saw growing up, and the way a culture raises its kids has a lot to do with how they behave in life.

My point was, why do we have this undercurrent of violence? The simple answer is it sells. Not an undercurrent, it's on the surface. Yet, "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" sells as much copy as "Terminator."

A guilty pleasure of mine is watching the cop dramas on the tube. Most of them are demure as to anything graphic, but not all. I like the forensics and the legal wrangles. Tickles my fancy because I actually know some of the science, and the legal stuff is just kinda silly, mostly.

Just questions.

LeeG
11-30-2008, 11:41 AM
We are the world, we are the children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APmHR2bmQgw

Memphis Mike
11-30-2008, 06:23 PM
"Just questions."

And so many.