PDA

View Full Version : Knots and pitch pockets in keel

Alex Low
11-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Ahoy,

Looking for some info on pitch pockets in timbers - specifically our keel timber. Do we want to take these out? And if so, what to replace them with? We are trying to avoid epoxy as much as possible for a few reasons - we really dont want to make any 'wedges' that cause the timber to split in wet/dry cycles - not sure if we are treating the issue a little to tenderly.

Also, we uncovered this monster as we have been shaping the keel - it probably needs to come out?

Any experiences are welcome!

Thanks,

Alex
http://www.alexlow.ca/cockle/knots.jpg

kc8pql
11-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I'd call that a spike knot. It'll probably fall out, or at least loosen as the timber drys out. What I'd do about it would depend on where it is and how thick the timber is.

Alex Low
11-26-2008, 11:26 PM
The timber at that point is about 4"x12" - the knot goes about 1/2" deep. As you can see by the pith we have shaped off half the knot.

Flitch
11-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I'd call that a spike knot. It'll probably fall out, or at least loosen as the timber drys out. What I'd do about it would depend on where it is and how thick the timber is.

This knot will not fall out or loosen. We call it a live intergrown spike knot and you will notice that, for the most part, the fibres of the knot are intergrown with those of the surrounding wood. From what I see, the effect on strength would be negligible. I wood (sic) leave it alone.
Flitch