PDA

View Full Version : Terror attacks in Mumbai, India

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 04:14 PM
"7:59 AEST UPDATE: AUSTRALIANS are bunkered down in Mumbai, India, amid terror strikes against westerners leaving at least 78 dead.
Nine Australians are among terrified tourists hiding from armed men amid a series of bombings and shootings in India's financial capital.
Other Australians have fled the attacks in which gunman opened fire at luxury hotels, restaurants, the main railway station."
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24714136-952,00.html

The Indian Army has been called out and is assulting the Oberoi Hotel where hostages have been taken and 'terrorists' are still inside. This is an evolving situation now.

Incidentally Aussie DFAT advice current today says "We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in India because of the high risk of terrorist activity by militant groups.
Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media and other local information sources for information about possible new safety or security risks.
The arrest of a high-profile political figure on 21 October 2008 may cause violent protests and riots in Mumbai and elsewhere in Maharashtra."
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/india

John of Phoenix
11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Seems to be a coordinated attack.
60 killed in multiple Mumbai shootings, blasts
1 hour ago

MUMBAI (AFP) — Nearly 60 people were killed in a series of attacks in the Indian city of Mumbai late Wednesday, with five-star hotels among the targets of gunmen armed with powerful assault rifles and grenades.

Maharashtra state police chief A.N. Roy told the NDTV channel that "unknown terrorists" had opened fire in "at least seven to eight places" across the city.

"Fifty-eight bodies have been brought in. There are another 50 who are injured, some critical, who have been transferred to the nearby J.J. Hospital," a spokesman for the city's St George's Hospital told AFP by telephone.

Television reports put the death toll as high as 80, while the Press Trust of India said as many as 200 people had been injured.

Mumbai General Railway Police Commissioner A.K. Sharma said several men armed with AK-47 rifles had stormed into the passenger hall of Mumbai's main Chhatrapati Shivaji railway and opened fire and thrown grenades.

At least 10 people were killed in the attack shortly after 10:30pm (1700 GMT).

The coordinated assaults also targeted two of Mumbai's best-known hotels, the Taj Mahal and the Trident, with gunmen taking hostages and engaging in gunfights with anti-terrorist squads.

Police said two of the gunmen had been shot dead.

Firing was also reported at Cama Hospital in south Mumbai, and three people were reported killed in what police called a "bomb blast" in a taxi in the southeast of the city.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemned the attacks and said the Maharashtra state government would be given all the assistance required.

The Taj hotel, next to the British colonial era Gateway of India monument, is one of the world's leading hotels and regularly attracts VIP visitors.

The head of the Madrid regional government, Esperanza Aguirre, was staying there at the time but she and her delegation escaped unhurt, a government spokesman in Madrid told AFP.

Mumbai had been the start of a four-day official visit to India.

The BBC News website said a British member of the European Parliament, Sajjad Karim, was also in the hotel at the time and saw a gunman open fire in the lobby.

"All I saw was one man on foot carrying a machine gun-type of weapon -- which I then saw him firing from and I saw people hitting the floor, people right next to me," he was quoted as saying.

One British guest told local Indian television that he had been among a dozen people herded together by two heavily armed men and taken up to the hotel's upper floors.

"They were very young, like boys really, wearing jeans and T-shirts," the guest said.

"They said they wanted anyone with British and American passports and then they took us up the stairs. I think they wanted to take us to the roof," he said, adding that he and another hostage had managed to escape when they reached the 18th floor.

As he was speaking, there was a loud explosion from the roof of the hotel.

It was not immediately clear if some hostages were still being held.

British Foreign Secretary David Miliband "unreservedly" condemned the attacks, saying they were yet another reminder "of the threat we face from violent extremists."

India has witnessed a wave of coordinated attacks in recent months.

A little-known Islamic group, the Islamic Security Force-Indian Mujahedeen, claimed responsibility for serial blasts last month in India's northeast state of Assam that claimed nearly 80 lives.

A total of 12 explosions shook the insurgency-hit state, six of them ripping through crowded areas in the main city of Guwahati.

Six weeks earlier, the capital New Delhi had been hit by a series of bombs in crowded markets that left more than 20 dead. Those blasts were claimed by a group calling itself the Indian Mujahedeen.

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Direct reports from the Taj Palace Hotel by a mobile from a woman laying on her bathroom floor is that the hotel is on fire, grenades exploding, gunfire in the corridor. Report from a hostage similarly is that they are 'mudjahadeen' and asking for passports to pick out Americans and British. A confused and developin situation still.

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Live pix on Sky I'm told, not accessable here.

The549
11-26-2008, 06:11 PM
What is their line of thought? What do they want?

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Way too early for any ideology I'd think, the fighting is still in progress.
Probably religioi/political as usual.

JimJ
11-26-2008, 06:18 PM
This should put the shivers up anyone who is in the IT industry. If this place is shut down who is going to take over all the call centers and computer programming. Could this be a backdoor way of financially crippling what is left of the US?

Rum_Pirate
11-26-2008, 06:24 PM
78 lives ended for what?

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 06:27 PM
There's a delegation from the NSW dept of Education in the Oberoi. Two Aussies injured.

pila
11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I was watching on CNN a few minutes ago, and some think it hasn't ended yet, after hitting two hotels, a hospital, and a train station.

An over-crowded place like India seems like a place to stay away from. Always some turmoil going on, and likely there always will be.

PeterSibley
11-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I was watching on CNN a few minutes ago, and some think it hasn't ended yet, after hitting two hotels, a hospital, and a train station.

An over-crowded place like India seems like a place to stay away from. Always some turmoil going on, and likely there always will be.

You seriously underestimate the pleasures of India .I thoroughly recommend it , an amazing place .

PeterSibley
11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
It's still evolving Norman ,you'll know tomorrow .

PeterSibley
11-26-2008, 07:05 PM
But right now ,were I betting ,I'd put my money on Kashmiri separatists .

Larks
11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
seperating lives from bodies

bamamick
11-26-2008, 07:37 PM
One of my professional mentors is from Mumbai and has moved back there after about 40 years of living and teaching in the US. He once told me that the only reason there is an India as we know it is because of colonialism. That it was never intended to be one country or even three or four countries. So many different religions and languages, such a diverse culture. And now you can buy an rpg on the black market for $100. It doesn't take but a small group of angry people with bad attitudes to make a city a dangerous place.

This is extrememly scary.

Mickey Lake

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Ah yes, colonial borders, lines on a map. Same as Africa.

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Well, we can agree on that eh? But except for the odd armoured car and maybe a drone or two we are the client of the US. Obsolete fighters, the JSF, tanks that don't fit across our bridges and I don't think are in the country etc.

Larks
11-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, we can agree on that eh? But except for the odd armoured car and maybe a drone or two we are the client of the US. Obsolete fighters, the JSF, tanks that don't fit across our bridges and I don't think are in the country etc.

Subs', ACPB's, LCH's?

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Not to subvert the thread, but the subs are someone else's design mostly, patrol boats, minehunters, probably appropriate for our needs but hardly an industry to threaten anyone.

skuthorp
11-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Six members of a NSW trade delegation unacounted for but the situation is evidently ongoing and 'fluid'.
http://news.smh.com.au/national/seven-of-nsw-delegation-in-mumbai-safe-20081127-6j4b.html

pila
11-27-2008, 12:56 AM
At midnight EDT folks were still hearing gunfire in some parts of the city, according to CNN. The Indian response people were not very organized it appears, after the Chief of the anti-terrorist guys was killed.

PatCassidy
11-27-2008, 01:25 AM
This may not have targeted Americans and Brits. Looks like the majority of the deaths were locals.

Larks
11-27-2008, 01:40 AM
One Australian dead

JimJ
11-27-2008, 01:58 AM
"What is left of the US?"

With the amount of financial and IT business conducted in this city on behalf of major companies worldwide, any disruption to the commerce of the city will only add to the woes happening on Wall Street.

ishmael
11-27-2008, 03:21 AM
Look, no one wants this aside from a small minority of weirdos. To find a way to either capture them or kill them is in order. Peace and blessings on those killed and their families.

The Bigfella
11-27-2008, 03:34 AM
My daughter is on her way to India at this very moment - and is not enjoying herself - no sleep on a crowded plane full of crying babies - diverted to Dubai for a day instead of Bangkok - which has its own problems... Emirates Miserable Airlines won't give her a hotel room or any assistance - despite having diverted her there.....

I'm gathering my thoughts - but my immediate suggestion to her will be to dye her hair black and preferably dress Indian.... She won't be staying at the sort of places these scumbags are targeting - but......

Larks
11-27-2008, 03:41 AM
My daughter is on her way to India at this very moment - and is not enjoying herself - no sleep on a crowded plane full of crying babies - diverted to Dubai for a day instead of Bangkok - which has its own problems... Emirates Miserable Airlines won't give her a hotel room or any assistance - despite having diverted her there.....

I'm gathering my thoughts - but my immediate suggestion to her will be to dye her hair black and preferably dress Indian.... She won't be staying at the sort of places these scumbags are targeting - but......

It's not going to be much fun for her either, arriving at the airport with a high security alert in place. Where is she arriving to?

Duncan Gibbs
11-27-2008, 03:46 AM
When my beloved does a Mumbai pattern she often goes to both the Oberi and Taj hotels as a way of getting out of the heat and smog and getting a nice cuppa. Meanwhile she's still stuck in BKK! No sign of which way the military will swing there just yet, but considering that the Thais will be hosting the ASEAN meeting in 2 or 3 weeks I would think they will act soon... Very soon!

The Bigfella
11-27-2008, 04:05 AM
It's not going to be much fun for her either, arriving at the airport with a high security alert in place. Where is she arriving to?

New Delhi.

Btw - there are no computers for travellers in the airport at Dubai - I only got a message from Kim when a woman saw her crying.....

If it wasn't just as likely to provoke a negative response, I'd put a rocket up someone at Emirates Airlines......

The Bigfella
11-27-2008, 04:06 AM
When my beloved does a Mumbai pattern she often goes to both the Oberi and Taj hotels as a way of getting out of the heat and smog and getting a nice cuppa. Meanwhile she's still stuck in BKK! No sign of which way the military will swing there just yet, but considering that the Thais will be hosting the ASEAN meeting in 2 or 3 weeks I would think they will act soon... Very soon!

It might get a bit nasty for the locals. I'm sure the flying kangaroo will look after her though Dunc. You are speaking to her from time to time I hope? (Kim hasn't got a phone with her, dammit)

PeterSibley
11-27-2008, 04:15 AM
New Delhi.

Btw - there are no computers for travellers in the airport at Dubai - I only got a message from Kim when a woman saw her crying.....

If it wasn't just as likely to provoke a negative response, I'd put a rocket up someone at Emirates Airlines......

A bribe offer might be more effective .Good Luck Ian and Kim .

hansp77
11-27-2008, 06:54 AM

From my Sister and a best friends (a girl) accounts, who have both at different times recently traveled alone through India, I think the hair thing is generally a pretty damn good idea- and also while not necessarily dressing in Indian garb, dressing respectfully and a little conservatively. From all I could gather, traveling alone as a young, blond, attractive female is certainly an experience in India. Challenging. Oh yeah, and tell her to wear a wedding ring- most of them won't believe it, but it at least helps to ward off the numerous marriage proposals. Seriously.

And best wishes for your Daughter, though I am sure she will be fine.

ishmael
11-27-2008, 07:16 AM
I heard a guy talk on the radio yesterday. A well educated and well spoken Pakistani, raised in California his first nine years. His family decided to go back to Pakistan. A strong point he made, well taken, was that in their recent elections 97% of the people voted either center right or center left for secular parties. Only 3% voted for religious parties.

What it made me realize was that there are a bunch of Muslims who are on the side of secular governance. Pakistan has 160 million people. Roughly half the US population.

Resentment grows with our incursions into Pakistani territory. Yet he acknowledged the difficulty of the tribal areas which are breeding fighters and suicide bombers. He decried US incursions, and I don't blame him. But I wanted to say to him, well, go get them! Sweet lord, no one wants to kill 100 people in a bombing raid by Nato planes, when the target is a cell of six. So, go get them, on the ground, with precision.

Maybe Syed has something to say about all of that?

Phillip Allen
11-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes, anything that passes for an engagement ring is sensible. And a headscarf, eg fake Hermes, is common sense.

I don't need a visa to go to Dubai. I need one when I go to Australia. I reckon Dubai is pretty civilised....

that's cause you already sent all your UN-civilized people to Australia! :)

The Bigfella
11-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Kim should be in India around now - but she didn't enjoy Dubai - the head scarf thing didn't work...

so then i wandered the streets and bought a couple of samosas and a headscarf, very muslim style, in the hope people would stop staring at me. it didnt work so its back in the bag. then i came back to the airport cuz it was hot and there isnt actually anything to do in the city. now im passing time by watching gross men leer at me.

A good learning experience eh?

As for Emirates - it was them who dumped her in a different country for 24 hours then did nothing for her - no hotel, etc. Not what one would expect of an airline.

PeterSibley
11-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I heard a guy talk on the radio yesterday. A well educated and well spoken Pakistani, raised in California his first nine years. His family decided to go back to Pakistan. A strong point he made, well taken, was that in their recent elections 97% of the people voted either center right or center left for secular parties. Only 3% voted for religious parties.

What it made me realize was that there are a bunch of Muslims who are on the side of secular governance. Pakistan has 160 million people. Roughly half the US population.

Resentment grows with our incursions into Pakistani territory. Yet he acknowledged the difficulty of the tribal areas which are breeding fighters and suicide bombers. He decried US incursions, and I don't blame him. But I wanted to say to him, well, go get them! Sweet lord, no one wants to kill 100 people in a bombing raid by Nato planes, when the target is a cell of six. So, go get them, on the ground, with precision.

Thanks for posting that Ish .One solution would be an independent Pashtunistan ,something they have wanted for 100 years or so .

The Bigfella
11-27-2008, 06:51 PM
To put it bluntly, Ian, I think you are behind the times. The days when airlines could afford to put a planeload of passengers into hotels for the night because of a problem that was none of their making are long gone, along with the sort of fares that gave airlines the margins they needed to do that.

What sort of ticket was she flying on?

Full fare business or first = hotel

Zoo class, probably discounted = tough luck.

Any blonde young woman is going to get leered at in the Middle East and in the Subcontinent - I am sure you told her that before she started.

Qantas is accomodating ALL passengers who turn up in Bangkok.

Leering - Yeah - I told her that. She'll be fine Andrew - she's just dealing with exhaustion I think - and the disappearance of her travelling companion, who will hopefully re-materialise today... She's probably just wishing she'd gone back to China again. She loves it there - especially the public transport and personal safety...

Back to the terror attacks - it is still unfolding, but our government's (lack of) response to its citizens in need is getting a caning in the media....

Larks
11-27-2008, 06:55 PM
I saw KRudd on the Today Show interview, why can't this guy learn to impart a bit of confidence? He gave the impression that we should expect to hear worse news yet to come but his failure to elaborate was quite pathetic.......?????? How many are still unaccounted for or being held hostage?

The Bigfella
11-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Mate, Rudd is so full of lemon juice his lips will disappear one day soon.

Here's part of what he had to say....

We'd much rather get all of our facts absolutely right first.

Don't know the answer to how many still held - but they are now saying three Aussies dead - one of the owners of Blacktown Timber, the ex Deputy Mayor of Woolahra and a 50 year old woman

GaryK
11-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Ish, a man called Imran Kahn was interviewed on oz Tv last month, he is an opposition leader in Pakistan and a celebrity through half the world, but I doubt he is known in the US (being former star cricketer). He is a very impressive guy and is very popular here.

He points out that Pakistan army has lost more lives than the US has in both Afgahnistan and Iraq put together, fighting their own borders.
He also said Americans have always been popular in Pakistan, but you guys are throwing that away by those border incursions, which isnt surprising. After all, none of Americans problems are Pakistans responsibility, why would they be?

Larks
11-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Four Australians dead and that number is expected to rise (what KRudd seemed to be inferring this morning):
"Acting Foreign Minister Simon Crean (http://search.news.com.au/search//0/?us=ndmnews&sid=2&as=news&ac=ninews2&q=Foreign Minister Simon Crean) said Australia should expect the worst, with the Australian death toll anticipated to rise"

The Bigfella
11-28-2008, 04:49 AM
Just found out that the first Aussie whose name was released (the timber guy) was best mates of a friend of ours.

Phillip Allen
11-28-2008, 05:03 AM
Have we got a defined purpose for this business...? What was the point?

Duncan Gibbs
11-28-2008, 07:01 AM
None I'd say Phillip! And knowing the history of religious conflict and intollerance in the Sub-Continent I'd reckon most muslim Indians would be feeling pretty worried about their status and future by now.

Duncan Gibbs
11-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Just found out that the first Aussie whose name was released (the timber guy) was best mates of a friend of ours.

If possible pass on our best wishes for his family mate. :(

ishmael
11-28-2008, 08:49 AM
"but you guys are throwing that away by those border incursions"

If I were king of the forest I'd stop them. I think no matter the benefits they are outweighed by the loss of popular sentiment in Pakistan. Again, two things: No one likes feeling invaded in their territory, and AND the Pakistanis will have to spill more blood on the rascals. It's tough. The US attitude has become, in the last year or so, "If you aren't going to deal with these criminals then we will."

Syed
11-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Indian press started blaming Pakistan, immediately after the incident. Today's Pakistani news papers have posted these photographs of one of the alleged terrorists wearing 'kalava' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalava), a Hindu holy wrist band.
http://express.com.pk/images/NP_LHE/20081201/Sub_Images/1100532112-1.jpg

carioca1232001
12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
It is very easy for the Indian press to look for the "obvious scapegoat" here, and unfortunately some members of the Indian Government may be tempted to deflect criticism by blaming Pakistan. But one must hope that more responsible people will continue to ask, "What possible benefit could this bring to Pakistan?" The answer can only be "None whatsoever." But there may be people wanting to damage the relationship between the two countries for reasons of their own.

The photographs of the terrorists that have been posted in the press are by courtesy of Sebastian D┤Souza, a Goan photographer of the Mumbai Mirror. He was brave enough to make his way into the train station just to capture images of the killers, or so it was reported in our newspapers quoting The Independent (from the UK).

Apparently he pleaded with the police on duty - some of whom were armed - to open fire on them, but they chose to keep mum. He pleaded again when the killers made their way to the end of the station, when they could have been easily cornered and collateral damage reduced to negligible proportions, but to no avail. Very strange indeed...

Some 25 years ago, a close cousin of mine was Mumbai┤s Police Chief. He had an impeccable record and was later to captain anti-terrorist operations in the Punjab following Mrs Gandhi┤s assasination by her own guards, when the term 'bullet for bullet' was coined. The rowdy crowd in the Punjab got the full length of the stick and they targeted him on two ocassions, but he was lucky to escape unscathed. He has since been an outspoken champion of human rights in India.....

I wonder if under his leadership Mumbai┤s Police Force would have beeen so complacent - as the current ones apparently were - with the killers.

carioca1232001
12-02-2008, 03:33 AM
.....I wonder if under his leadership Mumbai┤s Police Force would have beeen so complacent - as the current ones apparently were - with the killers.

As to the woeful operational state of the Mumbai Police force:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Mumbai/Mumbai_police_bought_luxury_cars_not_new_weapons/articleshow/3776792.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Mumbai_cops_hadnt_fired_in_10_yrs/articleshow/3783461.cms

As for Mumbai┤s Top Cop in the early-mid 80┤s :

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2006/20060428/punjab1.htm#8

LeeG
12-02-2008, 08:27 AM
not sure if anyone noticed,,,the same number of people were killed in Iraq last week by acts of terrorism.

the Bush/Wolfowitz Doctrine (the one Sarah Palin didn't know about) keeps on giving.

Tylerdurden
12-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Mumbai terrorists had been staying at the Jewish Centre (Nariman House) in a guest house for 2 weeks prior to the attacks

http://108morris.wordpress.com/2008/11/30/mumbai-terrorists-had-been-staying-at-the-jewish-centre-nariman-house-in-a-guest-house-for-2-weeks-prior-to-the-attacks/

carioca1232001
12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
So that we may put things in their true prespective, the following news paper article offers some clues:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/armed-police-would-not-fire-back-ndash-i-wish-id-had-a-gun-not-a-camera-1040238.html

But what angered Mr D'Souza almost as much were the masses of armed police hiding in the area who simply refused to shoot back. "There were armed policemen hiding all around the station but none of them did anything," he said. "At one point, I ran up to them and told them to use their weapons. I said, 'Shoot them, they're sitting ducks!' but they just didn't shoot back.".......

As the gunmen fired at policemen taking cover across the street, Mr D'Souza realised a train was pulling into the station unaware of the horror within. "I couldn't believe it. We rushed to the platform and told everyone to head towards the back of the station. Those who were older and couldn't run, we told them to stay put."..............

The militants returned inside the station and headed towards a rear exit towards Chowpatty Beach. Mr D'Souza added: "I told some policemen the gunmen had moved towards the rear of the station but they refused to follow them. What is the point if having policemen with guns if they refuse to use them? I only wish I had a gun rather than a camera."

Muslim Indian religious leaders have recently manifested their full support for the war against the Islamic extremists, whilst also exhorting their followers to do the same.

However, the Muslim clergy are demanding - and rightly so - that Hindu extremists be given an equally hard time, considering that a Lt Col of the Indian Army was recently implicated in a murderous bomb blast (in Malegaon )

Part of the story is available in the following link :

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/FullcoverageStoryPage.aspx?id=9eb8bbb2-a271-4384-8b39-45e6cd3b25feMumbaiunderattack_Special&&Headline=Mosques+send+out+anti-terror+messages

TimH
12-05-2008, 07:26 PM
is there really a carioca number? Like a social security number here?

carioca1232001
12-05-2008, 09:16 PM
is there really a carioca number? Like a social security number here?

Please clarify, brave one ! Your comments are way above my tiny brain !

TimH
12-05-2008, 09:59 PM
is a carioca a citizen of Brazil or just Rio?

Syed
12-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Quote;

"As tension in the region builds, US Senator John McCain has warned Pakistan that if it didn't act fast to arrest the "Bad Guys" he had personal information that India would launch air strikes on "terrorist camps" in Pakistan and that Washington could do nothing because Mumbai was India's 9/11.
But November isn't September, 2008 isn't 2001, Pakistan isn't Afghanistan and India isn't America. So perhaps we should reclaim our tragedy and pick through the debris with our own brains and our own broken hearts so that we can arrive at our own conclusions (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/12/mumbai-arundhati-roy)."

seanz
12-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Thanks Syed. The best article I've read for a long while.......

Nor for that matter will any other quick fix. Anti-terrorism laws are not meant for terrorists; they're for people that governments don't like. That's why they have a conviction rate of less than 2%. They're just a means of putting inconvenient people away without bail for a long time and eventually letting them go. Terrorists like those who attacked Mumbai are hardly likely to be deterred by the prospect of being refused bail or being sentenced to death. It's what they want.
What we're experiencing now is blowback, the cumulative result of decades of quick fixes and dirty deeds. The carpet's squelching under our feet.
The only way to contain (it would be na´ve to say end) terrorism is to look at the monster in the mirror. We're standing at a fork in the road. One sign says Justice, the other Civil War. There's no third sign and there's no going back. Choose.

Powerful writing.

The Bigfella
12-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Agreed

carioca1232001
12-15-2008, 07:09 AM
I daresay I have yet to come across an article on the issue of terrorism - at least in the South Asian context - that has been so wide in perspective, yet maintaining a sense of balance, objectivity and above all, justice.

Not surprising as Ms Roy has an unusual background, with a Kerala Syrian Christian mother and a prosperous Bengali Hindu tea-plantantation-owner father, educated at Christian Schools in India, her first hubby was Gerard da Cunha, a leading Indian architect hailing from Goa etc. etc.