PDA

View Full Version : The financial crash and sport sponsorship

skuthorp
11-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Quote from another thread:
"AIG, Citibank and a number of other federally bailed-out financial institutions have no plans to cancel hundreds of millions of dollars in sports team sponsorships"

What would happen to 'sport' in the US, both professional and amateur, if these sponsorships ceased? TV rights seem to be the mainstay for professional game playing which is more about entertainment than sport. Here professional basketball teams have ceased to exist with the demise of their sponsor. Many local football and cricket teams are 'sponsored' by local businesses, even if the sponsorship is in kind rather than in cash.
It's one side of the economic collapse that seems not to have been mentioned. It does not seem to have surfaced here either, but must be playing on the administration of various sporting bodies.

Michael Beckman
11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I'd never notice.

Rigadog
11-24-2008, 10:22 PM
It would be nice if at least corporate stadium names would go away.

Paul Pless
11-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Tiger Woods just lost his GM sponsoship - it's begun!They mutually negotiated the early cancellation of his endorsement of GM, saving GM $1 million in the last year of his contract which was worth nearly 50 million over the last 8 years...

Sounds like a good deal for Tiger, he's now free to negotiate a new deal with another car company. I'm guessing he signs with Mercedes in less than a year.

C. Ross
11-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I figure Tiger's planning to buy GM. Market cap today is $2.2B, he should be able to swing at least a third of it in cash.

Paul Pless
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
LOL!!!

:d...