PDA

View Full Version : Electric stapler for 1/4" cedar strip planking?

JimConlin
11-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Can anyone recommend an electric stapler for securing 1/4" cedar canoe strips?
I've been using an Arrow T-50 gun but a powered tool, perhaps with a little more capacity, would be nice.

Bill R
11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Have you looked a pneumatic gun?

I have a Chiwanese import of the brand "Surebonder" that takes standard Arrow T-50 staples. McMaster-Carr for about $50 IIRC.

I like it a lot more than any of the electrics I have had and/or tried.

paladin
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
I used a small air driven unit...and depending on whether or not you pull the staples...you can machine about 1/16th off the bit to countersink the staple...I used monel staples on my boat in some areas and left them in...

Bill R
11-24-2008, 06:16 PM
McMaster-Carr #93458A6

$47.51

Page 3280 of the current catalog

JimConlin
11-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks, Chuck & Bill.
Alas, I am without a compressor and I don't want to have one with me in the current small shop. In the next shop, there will certainly be serious air (and vacuum and dust suck) for many tools. In the meantime, I'm contemplating a strip composite boat or two and I don't want to aggravate a bum (CTS) wrist. So what's available in electric staplers?

Canoez
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Personally, I'd skip the corded stapler in favor of one (or two) of the Powershot types. They work very well and the staple exits where you are applying pressure, unlike the Arrow or Bostich types. I've tried a few power and air powered staplers and pin nailers, but find the hand powered to be the best and most consistant. (I find that I spend as much time untangling cables as I do using them. YMMV)

Don't forget to put a layer of tape along the bottom to keep it from getting all buggered up with glue. Also, a small strip of cardboard near the staple's exit keeps the crown of the staple from becoming buried in the wood.

Well, that's what I prefer at any rate.

Bruce Hooke
11-24-2008, 07:24 PM
FYI...In my experience McMaster is an expensive place from which to buy tools. I'd check first with places like Amazon.com. Actually, for electric staplers you can probably just visit your local Lowes or Home Depot and then it will be easier to return the tool if it does not do the job.

capt jake
11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I would second the Powershot suggestion. Though I have both pneumatic and corded staplers, I ended up using a hand operated one on my kayak. No cords or hoses to get caught on a carefully laid piece or what have you. ;) More control also. Heed the advice on the thin cardboard. ;)

JimConlin
11-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a Powershot and a couple of T-50's, and i'd hope there's something that's easier on my creaky paws. If I have to live with a compressor in confined space, i have to, but my wish is for an electric tool.

kc8pql
11-24-2008, 11:34 PM
I have one of these that I use to do cabinet installations so I don't have to haul around a heavy compressor. I use it for brad and finish nailers or a narrow crown stapler. It's small and only weighs 20 lb. It's quiet and would fit in even the smallest shop.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/toolsplus_2030_267658225

JimConlin
11-25-2008, 12:22 AM
OK, I'll stop resisting, and I won't complain that it hasn't the capacity to power bigger sanders.

Ken, belated thanks for the bit of bronze. It was used to good effect.

Canoez
11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Well, I think I may have found what you're looking for...

But OMG :eek: - the $$$

Arrow Cordless Electric Stapler (http://www.all-cordless.com/ar10licostgu.html)- $129

http://i35.tinypic.com/amax5c.jpg

JimConlin
11-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Flashy styling- just like that Lee Valley plane.

Todd Bradshaw
11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
If you're shooting staples into canoe strips, and as long as they aren't made of some sort of unusually hard wood, there really isn't much need to go very fancy on the gun. As long as it will shoot a 9/16" staple, most B&D electrics, or other common big box store brands, will shoot through strips and into plywood or particle board forms without a problem. You don't want the staple buried anyway (the suggestion of adding a cardboard shim under the tip to make sure the crown doesn't bury is well worth heeding). We also always used a tiny gun (the smallest you can find that shoots round-legged staples that look like office staples) for keeping strips aligned between the forms. These would be 1/4" staples that don't go all the way through the strips. You back them up with your hand and shoot a row of them in, straddling the strip joints about half-way between every pair of forms. These little guns pull very easily and the tiny round holes all but disappear on the finished boat. The guns are about $12. The one I used is a Bostitch T-11 Tackler, but I don't think it's still made. In any case, there are other similar models at the stores.

The only danger is when you pick up the gun, start a new row and suddenly (and painfully) realize that you accidentally picked up the gun with the 9/16" staples, instead of the 1/4" staples. Your glove is filling up with blood but you have a bunch of strips with wet glue on them that need to go on right now and you can't stop. After repeating this scenario a couple of times you start paying close attention to which gun you're picking up.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/T-11.jpg

Canoez
11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
To prevent the stapled finger thing I just wrap a ring of colored tape on the handle of the stapler that I've got loaded with 1/4" staples because my staplers are exactly the same. Works for me - usually.:o

watson1990
11-25-2008, 11:37 PM
NOt sure the picture[ drawing ] will come through here.Knda new at this :

Something That I used successfully was this.: Don't use staples. Instead ,you can glue a small square of scrap near the edge of each frame or cut a trim piece that matches each frame ,but atttach it to each station about 1/2 inch away from the outer edge. That will give you something to clamp your clamps to and you won't have any staple holes in your cedar. Another way is to drill holes near the edge of each station and use the holes for a :foothold" for your clamps ..makes for a much nicer finish

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/CID:{9C03191F-F36A-40D8-AC79-3ECEE5CD0880}/Email0015.jpg
watson

JimConlin
11-26-2008, 12:17 AM
NOt sure the picture[ drawing ] will come through here.Knda new at this :

Something That I used successfully was this.: Don't use staples. Instead ,you can glue a small square of scrap near the edge of each frame or cut a trim piece that matches each frame ,but atttach it to each station about 1/2 inch away from the outer edge. That will give you something to clamp your clamps to and you won't have any staple holes in your cedar. Another way is to drill holes near the edge of each station and use the holes for a :foothold" for your clamps ..makes for a much nicer finish

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/CID:{9C03191F-F36A-40D8-AC79-3ECEE5CD0880}/Email0015.jpg
watson

If you absolutely must have no staple holes, there are lots of methods for clamping one strip to each side of the boat until the glue dries. The drawback is that you need to wait a while before disturbing the clamps and placing the next strip. Not everyone can tolerate, or pay for, that pace. Hence, the staples.

watson1990
11-26-2008, 01:08 AM
HI,
You are correct.
The thing that is nice about this method is that ,in reality ,we really don't ALWAYS work on our cedar strip canoes every night. But if you only had to spend 5-15 minutes each night, and you could keep your better half happy, then you will end up with a finer end product.
My way will only allow 2 pieces of strip to be applied each day after work. [unless you have a few minutes early each morning . then you can do 2 pieces for each side .
But Even if you can only do two strips a day ....how many days will it take until you are at the point where you need to pay extra attention to the "Football "?
I live in New Hampshire and I got 8 inches of snow this morning..
My Newfoundland dog was outside and in 10 minutes ,I went outside and I could only see a white BUMP in the snow ,with a black nose sticking out. The point of this is that: You ain't going nowhere ...at least not anywhere near where I live...so take your time ,,,,do 2 strips a night ...no staples ..and it will certainly qualify as a museum piece...I don't mean to insult....however those staple holes drive me nuts !!!!!!!!
GOD grant me patience ,,,but DO IT NOW !!!!

Tylerdurden
11-26-2008, 05:55 AM
I have an Arrow electric which works well. Find the cord a bit of a pain in the arse but it drives well. I got it at a local hardware store and it runs the same t-50 staples.

Sailman58
11-26-2008, 09:24 PM
When I built my stripper I had an electric gun loaded with longer staples to shoot into the frames, and a manual unit with shorter staples for use in between frames.

Ron