PDA

View Full Version : Can this phone be saved?

Another One
11-20-2008, 10:18 AM
I got myself a new phone on Saturday - a touch-screen LG that would accomodate GPS navigation. It's actually designed for users who want to play a bunch of .mp3 music, but I have other gadgets for that. But it's supposed to be rugged, with a metal case and all.

Last night I turned quickly, and in a classic move it slipped out of my pocket and into the toilet. It was underwater for no more than 2 second, and I dried it off, pulled off the cover and dried everywhere I could reach, then charged it overnight so it would have that soft internal warmth. (Actually, you would have thought my language would have blasted it dry.)

It seems to be working okay, but the touch screen is foggy around the edges and the camera lens has condensation on the inside.

Any ideas?

Spin_Drift
11-20-2008, 10:22 AM
A brand new phone. What a drag.!!!!!:(

Try and dry...

Captain Blight
11-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Put it a plastic bag with some uncooked rice. Take the battery out first and leave the cover off--open it up as much as you can. If there are any little screws holding it together, loosen those up as much as you dare.

Popeye
11-20-2008, 10:32 AM
i once dropped a delicate piece of electronic equipment in water , dried it as much as i could and then left it in a food hamper (insulated box) , with a low wattage light bulb overnight , dried it out fine

a good cheap and abundant desiccant would be a cup of salt or baking soda

willmarsh3
11-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I took the battery cover off and opened it up and put it in a chandelier overnight and left the light on. The slow bake around 100 degrees F dried it out without hurting it. It has worked fine ever since. Sounds crazy but it works.

John of Phoenix
11-20-2008, 10:35 AM
The screen may not be your problem. I took my Treo 650 for a swim last summer. (A fellow capsized his dinghy at the dock an I went in to help.) I got it home opened it up and blew it out with compressed air. Next day everything worked fine - screen, keyboard, data card, the various programs and all the data was there. The phone however was dead. Bought a new 700 with the insurance plan. Five dollars a month and if anything happens = new phone for free. By any chance do you have insurance on your phone plan?

Another One
11-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Five dollars a month and if anything happens = new phone for free. By any chance do you have insurance on your phone plan?

Yes, $6.99 a month for a $50 deductible. I guess the kicker is, I had a 30 day trial period on this phone and I had just about decided I wanted to return it for something smaller. Now I don't think I can do it.

Rick-Mi
11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
I got myself a new phone on Saturday - a touch-screen LG that would accomodate GPS navigation. It's actually designed for users who want to play a bunch of .mp3 music, but I have other gadgets for that. But it's supposed to be rugged, with a metal case and all.

Last night I turned quickly, and in a classic move it slipped out of my pocket and into the toilet. It was underwater for no more than 2 second, and I dried it off, pulled off the cover and dried everywhere I could reach, then charged it overnight so it would have that soft internal warmth. (Actually, you would have thought my language would have blasted it dry.)

It seems to be working okay, but the touch screen is foggy around the edges and the camera lens has condensation on the inside.

Any ideas?

Wow, what a bummer :( Been there, done that....

Being an outdoorsman myself along with carrying a family plan with five lines for many years I've got plenty of experience dealing with the perils of water and cell phones.

Rule number one is already water over the dam which is don't turn it back on until the phone has been completely dried. My suggestion is to turn the phone off right now and take several steps to dry out the internals. The phone may work presently, but that moisture you see in the screen will come back to bite, guaranteed!

People may cringe at the thought of this, but I have had good success leaving a phone that got wet in the oven overnight several days in a row. Take the battery out and leave the compartment cover off to allow as much escape route possible for moisture. Turn your oven on it's lowest setting (perhaps 150 degrees), let it heat up completely, turn it off, wait about 15 minutes so the oven cools slightly and then put the phone in overnight, then repeat multiple times. This really sucks the moisture out of deep places and if done properly won't hurt the phone one bit.

Whatever method you use, get it as dry as possible before you start using it again. Otherwise it will only be a matter of time before a key or function starts going bad with more to follow until the phone becomes junk. I've experience this same progression more than once.

It is also important to note that the warranty option isn't a possiblility because there is a moisture detecting strip inside the phone and that is the first thing they check.

Get it dried out completely and good luck......

Rick-Mi
11-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, $6.99 a month for a $50 deductible.

That's good news.

Phillip Allen
11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
let us know how it all washes out :)

John of Phoenix
11-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Norman nailed it, they'll do just about anything for that monthly fee. And with the insurance, you should be in fine shape.

Another One
11-20-2008, 11:27 AM
It's dissasembled and warming on a south-facing window sill right now. I'll do the "bag of rice" thing as soon as I can this evening, and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice!

(And yes, the toilet had not been in recent use at the time. :) )