PDA

View Full Version : Best Wooden Boat Yard in the Northern Neck of Va.

Cruis Along
08-22-2003, 07:37 AM
I have a 1967 33' Cruis Along Sedan Cruiser. I purchased the boat last fall, and now want to begin to restore the boat back to orginial condition. Hopefully there is someone who has used a repair facility in this area, and could recommend based on either word of mouth/personal use. Would appreciate any recommendation you may have so I can get the job done right the first time.

Larry James
08-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you but I'm hoping someone else on the forum does.

I have a home in the Northern Neck and if all goes according to plan, I hope to have a wooden boat there soon. I'll need a boatyard that understands wooden boats.

There is a marina in Lancaster county but I know nothing about them other than what is up on their website. http://www.yankeepointmarina.com/

Hope somebody chimes in with some advice.

Larry

wle
08-26-2003, 07:36 AM
We have looked around for a place to take our old Deadrise and have chosen Cockrell's on the Little Wicomico. If you are still looking after we get our work done I will let you know.
Wayne

Wayne Jeffers
08-26-2003, 08:54 AM
I can't remember exactly where Colonial Heights is on the Northern Neck, but . . .

Three years ago we spent a week on vacation on the Northern Neck and we did some poking around at wooden boat places.

At a marina at Kinsale, VA, (Port Kinsale Marina?) on the Potomac side, they were doing some work on a skipjack, Virginia W, and were kind enough to let us take a look. Shortly, the shipwright returned from lunch and he spent a good while giving us a tour of the ship, describing the work he was doing, and answering questions. A very personable 50-something fellow named Ian with a strong British accent who had been in that trade since he was a youth.

From my brief visit, I had the impression he was doing good work, though not always in the most traditional manner. For example: He had replaced parts of the chines by scarphing in laminated sections using epoxy. When I expressed surprise at noticing part of the hull was strip-planked, he explained that hanging the big planks in the traditional manner is a job for a crew of men in the prime of life, and since he was working with but one helper replacing a few bad planks with strip-plank made more sense.

Anyhow, I got the sense that he was someone I would trust to do good work, if I wasn't concerned about rigid adherence to traditional methods. Maybe it is worth checking out if it's not too far from you.

Wayne

Larry James
08-26-2003, 09:46 AM
You'll be interested to know that the restoration of Virginia W is complete and that she took part in the Turkey Shoot Regattta last fall at Yankee Point, just off the Rappahannock river.

Oh, and you're right, it was Port Kinsale.

I stayed at a bed and breakfast just opposite the Port Kinsale marina during my stay in September 2001.

Larry

[ 08-26-2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Larry James ]

Wayne Jeffers
08-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Larry.

I'm glad to hear Virginia W. is good for a few more years of sailing.

I think I recall the bed and breakfast you're talking about. A pretty white clapboard house, IIRC. I think there was a big campground adjoining that area, too.

We stayed a week at a b&b in Reedville, at the tip of the Northern Neck, then stayed a couple more days on the eastern shore of Maryland. It was one of our best vacations ever.

Wayne

Signmaker
08-27-2003, 04:31 PM
I can highly recommend Mike's Marine Service at Remlik Marina on the Rappahannock for all types of work on wooden boats. Talk to their yard foreman, Chat, who has been incredibly helpful to me in the restoration of my '64 oak framed and planked 43' Evers ketch. They also do not object to any work you choose to do and in fact will help you along the way with guidance and assistance. They love wooden boats and handle alot of the local waterman's repairs/maintenance. Good luck!