PDA

View Full Version : 'The Reader'

bamamick
11-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Wow! Looks like an awesome film. Will Kate Winslet finally win that Oscar or will it go to the Aussies in their big winter film?

The premise is this, from what I gather: in the years just before WWII, a young man in Germany has an affair with a beautiful but quite a bit older woman. As the war begins he loses contact with her and though he searches for her never hears of or from her again until a few years after the war when as a law student he is sent to observe the trails of various war criminals who were members of the Nazi party. The woman that he has obsessed upon is to be tried as a Nazi war criminal for her part as a staff member in a woman's prison. Kate Winslet plays the woman, of course, and Ralf Fiennes plays the boy-grown-to-a-man who can not escape the memories of the times that they shared and what happened after.

I got all of that from looking at snippets on the internet and from reading a wee bit about it, but I believe it to be accurate. Of course I will have to wait until the film comes out on dvd to see it. We don't get movies here unless there are car chases or people with chainsaws in them, but I will see it eventually. If you get a chance let me know if you like it?

If I was about 50 pounds lighter and had about 50 times my income and my wife and I were on the outs, Kate Winslet's husband had better watch out. I would be in there sweeping her off her feet before she knew what hit her. You guys may not realize it, but I used to be pretty good at that sweeping thing.

Mickey Lake

PeterSibley
11-17-2008, 05:34 AM
have broom will travel ! :D with apologies to Chuck.

Did you ever see "The Pianist " ? From the above I think it is a film you would enjoy .

bamamick
11-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I did see it, Peter. I did enjoy it, though of course I am not sure that 'enjoy' is ever the right word for such a film. I was moved by it.

Mickey Lake