PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Of Solace

Memphis Mike
11-16-2008, 11:03 AM
We saw it last night. A plethora of clipped and dicey, violent imagery!

So Fruedian in it's bloodlust. The hunt. The thrill kill! Exciting! It gives rise to man's more primal nature.

I tend to be more of a fan of the For Your Eyes Only era. Roger Moore. The requisite British gentleman and cad.

Moore was such a pip!

Thoughts?

Paul Pless
11-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Roflmao!

Uncle Duke
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Well - it's pretty close.

You need to include something about Jung, about 'projection', about childhood memories, about unrequited love and about your cat whispering to you.

Oh, and you need to end it with a better question than "Thoughts?" - it needs to be a specific question mostly unrelated to the rest of the post. In this case something like "Is the age of cads over or do fish need bicycles?"

:D:D:D

Memphis Mike
11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Well - it's pretty close.

You need to include something about Jung, about 'projection', about childhood memories, about unrequited love and about your cat whispering to you.

Oh, and you need to end it with a better question than "Thoughts?" - it needs to be a specific question mostly unrelated to the rest of the post. In this case something like "Is the age of cads over or do fish need bicycles?"

:D:D:D

Why the anger, Uncle Duke? Could this be the result of some obscure, repressed, childhood memory?

Uncle Duke
11-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Why the anger, Uncle Duke? Could this be the result of some obscure, repressed, childhood memory?
All my childhood memories are obscure and repressed. If you have a specific one in mind which you are projecting onto me then you might be well off spending some time studying it. Memories are tricky things. Sometimes they are really sub-conscious desires in disguise.
Is that what yours are?
I knew a woman once, a gently soul, who had a mean dog - probably raised badly. After she was gone I had a vivid dream where she and the dog were very, very good friends. Not that there is anything wrong with that - just a dream.
:D

Sue H.
11-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Please expand upon that, Uncle Duke, whilst we expound upon the significance of it all.

Expansive expounding - anyone?

ishmael
11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't go to theater/film anymore unless there is something really good, so I don't know about the latest Bond offering. I imagine it's a bore. Blow stuff up in the latest way. That people find it entertaining is strange. More than a bit disconcerting, too.

LeeG
11-16-2008, 01:04 PM
something is missing

Uncle Duke
11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Please expand upon that, Uncle Duke
It is well known, Sue, that memories are unreliable. They are not signposts to the past or photographic snapshots - they are hidden doorways to possible pasts, to the past as it might have been or should have been. In most cases they are markers for desires - either the desire to have or the desire to rid oneself of something.
A well-known Reverend once asked for "Thoughts?", his dream being that he might get some - but that is a waking dream, a conscious desire - unlike dreams of very friendly dogs which is unconscious.
What are your dreams? Are they waking and real? Or are they teasing hints - your subconscious desires asking for validation?
So many questions...

Memphis Mike
11-16-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't go to theater/film anymore unless there is something really good, so I don't know about the latest Bond offering. I imagine it's a bore. Blow stuff up in the latest way. That people find it entertaining is strange. More than a bit disconcerting, too.

Why the anger Jack? We should laugh! Dance! What would Jung think?

You're such a pip!

ishmael
11-16-2008, 01:24 PM
No anger, just boredom.

huisjen
11-16-2008, 01:32 PM
something is missing

Peanut Butter?

Dan

Uncle Duke
11-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Peanut Butter
Yes, Dan, you're correct - peanut butter is missing.
The stuff sold as peanut butter now is just wrong. I remember as child the smell of fresh-made peanut butter, strong and persistent. You could smell the peanuts and the sun that grew them and the honest sweat of the women who ground those peanuts one at a time with love and patience. Those aroma-memories are as real as un-dying fondness for Converse sneakers.
American smells which are now lost to a whole generation.
Will we ever get them back?

Uncle Duke
11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Sue, I notice that you haven't answered about your dreams - a question which was meant fairly, a measure of your thoughtfulness which should survive even these trying times.
Do you have dreams? Or have you, like most Americans, put your dreamkillers 'in battery' and on-guard for any dream-noises in the night, killing anything which knocks on your conscious door?

Tylerdurden
11-16-2008, 01:51 PM
This thread is getting......

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c350/mudhutwarrior/richard_simmons.jpg

Uncle Duke
11-16-2008, 02:05 PM
This thread is getting......
Thanks, Mark - that reminded me of a very funny piece from TV, which I posted in a new thread...:D

David G
11-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Duke - were the two of you separated at birth?

Uncle Duke
11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
DavidG asks:

Duke - were the two of you separated at birth?
Are we not all separated at birth? Separated from the most complete environment we will ever know, from the most comfort and the most nourishment? It has been suggested that all of life after that vital separation is an effort to either regain that comfort or to deny it to ourselves and, by effect, to others.
Mimicry plays a large part in this - allowing us at will to take on the characteristics of others as a disguise or as a defense.
Or as humor, perhaps...:D

In all seriousness - there are very few writers, including outside this forum, who have a style so distinct and well-known that it lends itself to mimicry. George Will, for example, is a very good writer, but if you were given something of his without attribution you might struggle to decide who wrote it. On this forum there are really only 4 or 5 persons who have a distinct style, and at least half of them are from Maine.
Bless them every one - for standing out from the crowd.

Memphis Mike
11-16-2008, 03:05 PM
No anger, just boredom.

Guffaw! Laughing out loud! Big deep belly laugh!

Get over it!

{Uncle Duke, Sue is working on a painting trying to get over her childhood angst.}

Woxbox
11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Saw it Friday -- free tickets from friends. What hit me, besides the expected action movie formulas shifted onto overdrive -- was the total lack of humor. I don't recall the smallest effort at comic releif.

But I did find one thing pretty funny. At the end a big hotel (I think that's what is was supposed to be) starts blowing up and burning, one section at a time. Why? Because it's out in the desert and runs on hydrogen powered fuel cells, and bullets keep peircing the hyrdrogen tanks, which are inexplicably scattered all around the place. What a lame premise to set the joint on fire.

StevenBauer
11-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Awesome, Duke! You are the Man. ;) Nailed it!

Yours was good, too, Mike. :)

Steven

Ed Harrow
11-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Nothing this good since Pat Cox had a go!

Chip-skiff
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
What the devil is a 'Quantum of Solace'?

A cup of kindness?

Sounds as if the title-monkeys have run out of good ideas.

Bruce Taylor
11-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Nothing this good since Pat Cox had a go!

Pat's the master, but Mike is gets full marks for "A plethora of clipped and dicey, violent imagery!".

Duke's peanut butter was hot, of course, and "gently soul"...that's scary good.

LeeG
11-17-2008, 07:04 AM
enough about Jack,,middle east prof has a review of the movie
www.juancole.com

But this Bond film is explicit that the United States under Bush has become the bad guy, that US intelligence is in league with rogue mercenaries and brutal, rapist-generals who plot coups against elected governments. Bond therefore has to take on the United States government (at one point, a SWAT team from the CIA Special Activities Division tries to capture Bond in a bar in La Paz, but fails because Leiter tips Bond off to their approach. The good American in this film is the one willing to betray the US government to a more virtuous MI6 field officer).

George W. Bush is a lurking presence in this film, and appears to have almost single-handedly pushed Bond into championing the indigenous peasants against the white-tie global elite. The plotting of millionaires at a performance in Bregenz in Austria of Puccini's opera, "Tosca," to devastate and brutalize for their own gain the poor of Bolivia half a world away, recalls the scene in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" where Bush toasts his super-wealthy "base." He was implicitly promising that their enterprises will be deregulated and their taxes lowered and the costs of those things passed on to the middle classes and workers

Paul Pless
11-17-2008, 07:42 AM
enough about Jack,,middle east prof has a review of the movie
www.juancole.com (http://www.juancole.com)

But this Bond film is explicit that the United States under Bush has become the bad guy, that US intelligence is in league with rogue mercenaries and brutal, rapist-generals who plot coups against elected governments. Bond therefore has to take on the United States government (at one point, a SWAT team from the CIA Special Activities Division tries to capture Bond in a bar in La Paz, but fails because Leiter tips Bond off to their approach. The good American in this film is the one willing to betray the US government to a more virtuous MI6 field officer).

George W. Bush is a lurking presence in this film, and appears to have almost single-handedly pushed Bond into championing the indigenous peasants against the white-tie global elite. The plotting of millionaires at a performance in Bregenz in Austria of Puccini's opera, "Tosca," to devastate and brutalize for their own gain the poor of Bolivia half a world away, recalls the scene in Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" where Bush toasts his super-wealthy "base." He was implicitly promising that their enterprises will be deregulated and their taxes lowered and the costs of those things passed on to the middle classes and workersWhatever... it was a freaking James Bond movie, try not to read too much into it.:rolleyes:

Milo Christensen
11-17-2008, 08:00 AM
The thread's not about the movie anyway, it's about a couple of dwarves gettin' their jollies beatin' up on Jack.

Uncle Duke
11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Milo states:

The thread's not about the movie anyway, it's about a couple of dwarves gettin' their jollies beatin' up on Jack.
I don't know what your dwarves are doing, Milo, but I was very clear that this was an homage:

In all seriousness - there are very few writers, including outside this forum, who have a style so distinct and well-known that it lends itself to mimicry. George Will, for example, is a very good writer, but if you were given something of his without attribution you might struggle to decide who wrote it. On this forum there are really only 4 or 5 persons who have a distinct style, and at least half of them are from Maine.
Bless them every one - for standing out from the crowd.
I'm not one of those with distinctive style, of course. But neither are you. Jack, Mark (TD), Dingo (who could not be successfully mimicked by anyone, I think) are among the very few with distinctive 'voice'.
As noted: bless them every one.

Milo Christensen
11-17-2008, 10:21 AM
. . . I was very clear that this was an homage. . . .

Suggest you check the definition. And the responses to your posts.

You want to be hurtful, be hurtful, but don't try a cover up with all the BS about homage.

Uncle Duke
11-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Did somebody say peanut butter?"Peanut butter's a dead subject, scooter. And it's not what the thread's about anyway. You and the dwarves can go back to your cave."

Edited to add: it's hard to do Milo - that could be any of a number of people.

George Jung
11-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I don't know if Jack is/was offended by this thread, but.... guiltily.... I've rather enjoyed it, because I've found myself laughing with, rather than at, him. First, a doff of the hat to MM; rather clever and well done - I didn't know you had it in ya! And Uncle Duke - masterful. And I'd agree with your assessment re writing styles and uniqueness. There are a few others here - maybe not as popular (dare I mention SamF?) but identifiable without their signature.

Thanks for the laughs. Just one question - you mentioned 'The Master' (aka PatCox). I don't recall that thread; any links?

skuthorp
11-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Sounds like another waste of time, a definite not-to-see. Didn't know what the thread title meant till I overheard someone talking about it.

Glen Longino
11-17-2008, 08:38 PM
..."I've rather enjoyed it, because I've found myself laughing with, rather than at, him." George Jung

Same here!
I'm sure MM intended humor, not hatefulness, and Jack is big enough to appreciate it as much as anybody.

Uncle Duke
11-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I should mention- Jack and I have touched base on a different subject since this started and he did not express any issues with it.
He's got a sense of humor - something which sometimes people forget.
It's just humor, for heavens sake!

ishmael
11-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, I'm big enough to take some ribbing. I don't mind it at all, make good fun of me and I'll laugh with you. We are all, when you get at it, sorta laughable.

If you accuse me of something heinous, however, I'll fight you. I'm an honorable man and won't conscience such nonsense.

PatCox
11-18-2008, 11:50 PM
I have lost the ability to parody jack, and I will say, that someone has to have established a pretty good recognizable style before parody is even possible, so there is indeed a sort of recognition of Jack's "style" in the fact it would elicit parody, noone else here has ever been parodied, to my knowledge, though Tylerdurden presents some great opportunities, too easy, though, all the paranoid paultards sound alike. Jack has been branching out in the strange personas he adopts. I liked him better when he was trying to be Walt Whitman, thats what I was able to parody, but lately he has become political, and its kinda strange, not the spiritual, gentle greybeard I am used to.

I mean, would Walt Whitman really admire Sarah Palin?

Glen Longino
11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
"I have lost the ability to parody jack..."

Maybe, but I bet you can still do an excellent Dam F? er, Sam F?

Paul Pless
11-19-2008, 07:15 AM
noone else here has ever been parodiedoyster has been, visciously so,
and then there was drongo...

Joe (SoCal)
11-19-2008, 07:56 AM
I can parody Oyster but it hurts my head when I do.

JimD
11-19-2008, 07:59 AM
...would Walt Whitman really admire Sarah Palin?

He'd probably agree she's a snappy dresser.