PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tacoma(reudux)

ishmael
11-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Some have read that I've got this Tacoma truck that I inherited from brother. I haven't been driving it much, but finally got it to the dealer for a check-up and an oil change. It took me awhile, after driving a sedan for the last two years, but I've kinda come to like it. You sit up so high; feel like a potentate! LOL. With its drive train it will go through just about anything. I feel like a minor master of the universe. ;)

It's draw backs: It's not a comfy ride on the road. The seating is 'truck' not 'sedan.' It has very little room in the cab. It gets about half the gas mileage of my Corolla.

On the plus side. It will haul the boat without blinking. You can haul a bunch of stuff in the bed. It's, essentially, new. The truck has 2500 miles on it!

I'm not asking for advice, though it's welcome. I'll make my own decisions. I can't keep both of them.

Just observations. This is quite a truck I've inherited. It has self-dimming lights in cab when you step in or step out. Ha, I'm in a swamp yuppie Cadillac! Ah, heaven.

paladin
11-14-2008, 08:20 PM
If they are both paid for, keep both and inform the insurance company that NO one else except you will drive them to keep low insurance rates.....I bought a corolla for my daughter, but it's here 90% of the time so I drive it and get 36-40 mpg....but the Buick is really comfy for me.

Beowolf
11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Why not keep 'em both?

When it was time for us to step up to the family mover (minivan), we hung onto our truck. Two years later, I'm very glad we did. We've got three vehicles between my wife and I. The Honda takes the family everywhere, the Nissan takes me to work and back each day, and the Toyota does truck stuff: Pulls trailers, hauls lumber, blocks, stone, stuff that would seriously mess up the other two. The truck also goes through snow. Deep, deep snow.

How much would it cost you to keep a license on both of them?

I dunno.

CK 17
11-14-2008, 08:24 PM
I love mine. 25 mpg in warmer weather. I only wish it came with more goodies. visiblity could be better. the windshield side posts are very wide and will block out a whole car from most angles and a motorcycle from all angles. keep that head on a swivel and bend your neck.

huisjen
11-15-2008, 10:03 AM
I get between 31 and 37, depending how I'm driving it. (2000 Tacoma, Extracab, 2.3L, 5 speed manual) This last week and next week I'm commuting an hour each way to Belfast. Those straight, steady runs on route 1 are good for mileage. I may break my record, but I don't think I'm going to be able to break 40 MPG.

I keep wondering what it would do for mileage to put on a cap on the bed that rounds over from cab height in front to tailgate height in back.

Dan

ishmael
11-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi, Dan.

I just put this one on the clock with a full tank. It's only rated around twenty, but I'll bet it does better. Just drove it to town and back, mostly back roads. Golly Swett's Pond was silver in this late fall light. I got lost, had to double back.

It is a hell-uv-a beast compared to the Corolla. It has taken a bit of an adjustment, but I like it.:) I can be a tank commander, not just a driver!;)

huisjen
11-15-2008, 01:36 PM
This message is hidden because ishmael is on your ignore list.

...unless I'm not logged in. Now that I've logged in to post, Jack is invisible. Not a perfect system, but it reduces my exposure.

Anyway, anybody with a 'Tank Commander' mentality shouldn't expect good mileage. Drive it like you stole it... from your mother, who will be very disappointed if she finds out.

Dan

ishmael
11-15-2008, 09:50 PM
The tank commander comment was metaphor. You remember metaphor, right? This thing related to that with two images?

I sit up so high in this buggy. I'm ready to take on Krauts at the Battle of the Bulge. LOL.

Relax a bit. It won't hurt. Laugh. Love the woman you just married. My weapon hand is empty.

ucb4ume
11-16-2008, 08:16 AM
ishmael,

I have a 2007 Tacoma double cab. I get about 19mpg in town and about 22 on the road. It would probably get the EPA estimated 24mpg if I drove at or below 70mph on the hwy. It tows my 2000lbs trailer/boat with no problem, but the gas economy does take a hit when towing. Luckily, I don't have to tow it very far.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p300/ucb4ume/DSCN1881.jpg

ishmael
11-16-2008, 08:50 AM
I went to the dealer for the oil change and check up. They are good folks. It costs a bit more, but they've got good mechanix and good management.

Anyway, I was poking around the lot, just curious about what was there. There was a truck set up very similarly to mine, but with graphics and stickers and such saying it was an off road special. I tried to talk Bill into an extra-cab, but he bought what is, in part, an off-roader. His place, now mine, is at the end of a long stretch of gravel road, and he wanted something that would handle the winter on an island in Northern Michigan, not long road trips. So, it's become a dilemma. He he. A nice problem to have.

I do have the sense this beast would go through anything. Well, anything I'm liable to encounter. The Corolla has much better road manners.