PDA

View Full Version : Anybody See "Boogie Man" on PBS?

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
It's about the life and times of Republican dirty-trick artist Lee Atwater.
He's interesting as is the rehash of the presidential campaigns he was involved in.
I wouldn't mind seeing it again. He was such an SOB it's hard to keep tract of all the nasty things he contrived.

Phillip Allen
11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Do you reckon the Democrats have an equivalent?

Ian McColgin
11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
No. Dems only had the very funny Dick Tuck.

Phillip Allen
11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Hmmm...I see (sigh) (what else have you got that don't stink?)

Ian McColgin
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
The right, from the days of Metternich through Europe of the '30's and down to today has made a practice of cluttering issues of honor by accusing its opposition with exactly what it's doing. The most extreme of the "Left" - Stalinists and their ilk - do the same. It's a propaganda campaign that's left people who are of the still democratic right with the cynical notion that "they all do it."

But they don't. Take an example from the notoriously (and pointlessly) hard campaign strategy such as LBJ's demolition of Goldwater, the "daisey ad." It was incredibly effective and tasteless but there was nothing covert about it. It was a base play to emotion but it was not an effort to suborn our democracy.

Starting with Nixon, no Reublican candidate has run with honor and integrity until McCain, who let his minions tarnish his integrity but did nothing I know of over-the-top anti-democracy. Some ploys, Watergate, were lawless efforts to undermine the vote. Some, Iran arms for hostages, amounted to treason.

You can't find the likes in the Democratic campaigns of those times.

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Do you reckon the Democrats have an equivalent?

If they did he must have been a bozo 'cause nobody bothered to make a video about him.
But one can hope, can't one?

Vince Brennan
11-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Taped it... I'll see it tomorrow.

For some reason the Dems don;t seem to think that way... I dunno why not. It would seem that they'd HAVE to have people at lEAST as skilled at nastiness as the RNC has develoved over the last forty years, but they never surface if they do exist.

Even that baldie from Georgia who ran Clinton's campaign wasn't an out-and-out nasty...

I don't understand it.

So. Righties... who are your picks for the equivalents to the Roves, the Cheneys, the Atwaters , the Rumsfelds?

I'm looking for Sagretti types... dirty tricksters, subverters, agents provocateurs and downright criminals.

John of Phoenix
11-12-2008, 05:56 PM
However Atwater’s life ended [dead of cancer at 40], his legacy persists. You have only to see minutes of this year’s election coverage on television or scan a few headlines in order to see how “negative” campaigning has become the norm—whether posited as a first choice or defensive posture. While the mainstream media are reporting a backlash against such attacks, Atwater’s legacy is visible everywhere, emblems of the fears still “driving the country.”
Karma.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
11-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Word

Tom Montgomery
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
About a week before the election Chris Matthews was having a discussion with Pat Buchannan on MSNBC. They were talking about the projected black turnout and Buchannan was bemoaning the GOP's concession of black support.

Chris asks: "So Pat... Did you spend much money on inner- city radio ads when you ran for President?"

Pat replied: "Only the week before the election to remind them to turn out to vote on Wednesday."

And they both laughed like hell.

The GOP has earned it's reputation for dirty tricks. Even Republicans laugh about it.