PDA

View Full Version : our solution !

gregleeber
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Fellow Business Executives:

As the CFO of this business that employees 140 people, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barrack Obama will be our next President, and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way.

To compensate for these increases, I figure that the Clients will have to see an increase in our fees to them of about 8% but since we cannot increase our fees right now due to the dismal state of our economy, we will have to lay off six of our employees instead. This has really been eating at me for a while, as we believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who will have to go.

So, this is what I did. I strolled thru our parking lot and found 8 Obama bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the first to be laid off. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. These folks wanted change; I gave it to them.

If you have a better idea, let me know.

Joe Dupere
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Great, he fired all the really smart employees!! :D

Joe, FPoP

Gonzalo
11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
He might want to see if the taxes really do go up. Otherwise he is just making assumptions that are on very shaky ground. If he is a smart CEO, he'll wait and see what REALLY happens, not what Rush Limbaugh says will happen.

Is there any guarantee taxes wouldn't have increased under John McCain? No matter what he says, the record isn't very good. Even Reagan raised plenty of taxes after his big income tax cuts in 1981.

Of course! I didn't catch right away that this isn't a real note from a CEO, but a small-minded troll from a sore loser. My bad.

Milo Christensen
11-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Pretty good at basic arithmetic for a CFO.

we will have to lay off six of our employees instead. . . .

. . . I strolled thru our parking lot and found 8 Obama bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the first to be laid off. . . .

Memphis Mike
11-10-2008, 06:13 PM
The truth of the matter is Obama can't raise taxes on anyone until this economic mess is straightened out.

But if I was one of the people this CFO laid off in this manner, I would be suing his ass off.

Greg Nolan
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
And of course, if a proper national health plan is put in place (something McC would never have done), his overhead will go down significantly, enabling him to give his employees a raise.

gregleeber
11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
free healthcare is the most expensive healthcare possible. but of course all you liberals have your hands out when you hear free... :)

Memphis Mike
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I guess we have another candidate for the ignore list. Mine is getting rather extensive.:eek:

Flying Orca
11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
free healthcare is the most expensive healthcare possible. but of course all you liberals have your hands out when you hear free... :)

Taxpayer funded universal healthcare, on the other hand, provides overall better outcomes at lower cost. Spin that.

Vince Brennan
11-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I guess we have another candidate for the ignore list. Mine is getting rather extensive.:eek:

How many can you have? I just took Dutch off (since he's banned) which leaves four.

Speaking of ignore lists, what happened to that paragon of civil discourse, AbbyJ?

Vince Brennan
11-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Must really frost you hard to know that Chester county went Democrat for Obama.

Unheard of.

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-10-2008, 07:27 PM

Welcome neighbor! Come around anytime but save your smarta** rhetoric for the boys at the club. You do belong to a club don't you?
For the forseeable future the county's leadership will be in the hands of somewhat more libertal officials. I hope that smarts to both you and the boys at the club.
If you want to ever see a different outcome you must first try some kind of penitential rite for the very big hole you conservatives have driven our country in to. Sack cloth and ashes will do. Once your many political sins have been expunged you can try to build a new party but I fear our citizenry will have a severe recollection of the last eight years that will last till most of us are dead.
Please forego the blue font. This isn't facebook.

Phillip Allen
11-10-2008, 07:34 PM
I've never put anyone on my ignore list...too much like book burning

Memphis Mike
11-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I've never put anyone on my ignore list...too much like book burning

I've found this place is a lot more enjoyable AND tolerable if I don't have to read the insults of the RWW Neocons.

George Roberts
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
I believe Mr. Obama has expressed interest in raising the tax rates on the rich - those above $250K (or is it $125K).

It seems the employer has proper concerns. I think he makes the choice of who to fire on sound business practices. (Perhaps he could be less obvious.)

Lew Barrett
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM
I think John has it straight. If the employer has fired six people because he's concerned about higher taxes, he should have waited until his taxes were higher.
Right now, Bush is president and nothing has happened. A troll.

Gary E
11-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Must really frost you hard to know that Chester county went Democrat for Obama.

Unheard of.

Chester Co went DEM??? UNFREEKIN BELIEVABLE !!!

I bet the election was rigged... there's only 4 Dems in the intire co...or was when I lived there...

Ian McColgin
11-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Any employer who fires on the basis of a bumper sticker rather than on the basis of what's best for the business is likely the same schmuck who figures the corporate taxes will go up without any actual analysis. In a word, jerk.

David G
11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Folks -- as funny as the OP was, it's not real. It's just agitprop. A CFO for a firm that size would have very little to do with the hiring & firing of staff - other than those directly under him. As was mentioned, no exec with that level of fiduciary responsibility would be likely to make decisions on that basis. Now I'm not saying it's not possible. I sat behind my dad at many a board meeting for a firm that employeed 250-300 people. Some of the politics and stupidity would amaze you, but a successful firm just can't afford much of that kind of idiocy.

"Management is doing things right. Leadership is doing the right things" -- Peter Drucker

pila
11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I would guess that I would be considered a bit liberal (but I don't have my hand out for freebies) My Republican buddys are the cheap bastards in the bunch, always looking for something for nothing, including favors and free labor from me. Free health care? There is no such thing as a free lunch, or health care. Besides, all that bail-out money will come from us, even though taxes may go up, down or sideways. We will just have to pony-up for it at some point.

bob winter
11-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Crock of ****. Maybe more in the morning. This jerk souldn't a CFO of a phone booth.

brad9798
11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm still waiting on the oft-promised, much anticipated Clinton healthcare plan ... I doubt Obama will have any better luck!

Keith Wilson
11-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Two points, even though the story's made up: First, laying people off because he guesses that "our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way" is not a sound business decision. If he can get by without those people now, the he shouldn't have hired them in the first place. Second, if you have to lay off people, doing it on the basis of bumper stickers is spectacularly stupid. Eight people at random out of 140 could be the entire accounting department, or the entire sales force, or all the engineers. Anyone with half a brain would consider the affect on the organization, and lay off people so as to cause the least damage.
. . . free health care is the most expensive health care possible. but of course all you liberals have your hands out when you hear free... A statement of religious faith, unsupported by evidence. Every other wealthy country has some type of tax-funded heath care which covers everybody. Every one of them spends less than we do; 2/3 as much on average, and gets equal or better outcomes.

Somebody better shut the screen door, there are a lot of smelly unkempt things wandering in out of the woods lately, with fleas, probably..

Taylor Tarvin
11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
If you want to save a significant amout of overhead fire a full time CFO of a company with 140 employees.

Kaa
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Folks -- as funny as the OP was, it's not real. It's just agitprop.

Well, duh, of course.

Some of the politics and stupidity would amaze you

Dilbert is a reality show :D

Kaa

Tylerdurden
11-11-2008, 12:48 PM
You got em' Greg! Good work!:D

hokiefan
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, duh, of course.

Dilbert is a reality show :D

Kaa

Some years ago I was talking with my sister, who worked in HR at the time. I commented that Dilbert was an employee at my company. She laughed and said, "That's not possible, since he works for my employer!"

I do know that the Murphy fellow has been following me around, working 24/7 everywhere I've ever worked.

Cheers,

Bobby