PDA

View Full Version : Where should we be investing now?

jack grebe
11-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Thoughts?

Tylerdurden
11-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Conservation and energy I would think. With the new admin some programs will move forward and doors will open.

ishmael
11-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Not advice, I'm by no means an expert on this, but I've been thinking about putting a bit of my money that went to the sidelines after 911 into innovative energy companies. That's a difficult call, because with a major recession hitting us the demand for energy is going to fall. Oil fell below 60 yesterday, and cheap oil is going to mean less incentive in the energy market.

Um, what else? Companies that are working on food. The population continues to increase and someone is going to have to feed them. I have mixed feelings about genetic engineering, but innovators in that field are liable to be profitable.

Banks. Not all lending institutions were stupid during this recent bubble. The ones with reasonable balance sheets will survive, and even thrive. Ya gotta keep that money moving, even in a downturn. Smart banks will bring a reasonable return, maybe not in stock price but in dividends.

Drug companies that are innovators. If Obama is able to pass even parts of his health care plan companies working on new therapies should do well.

Two cents.

Mrleft8
11-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Coke

Dan McCosh
11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
FWIW, biggest sector collapse recently has been alternative energy stocks.

spirit
11-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Keep most of your powder dry. There is a lot of deleveraging yet to come.

For cautious recovery (on deep dips): the consumer-staple ETFs, XLP and VDC.

For recovery (whenever the Dow approaches 8200): any of the most beaten-down, high quality ETFs or mutual funds, e.g. ILF and FCNTX. Note that the dividend on ILF is currently 20%!

George Roberts
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Local small businesses.

contented
11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
buying up as many coastal lots around the wooden boat school in brooklin as possible

Tristan
11-07-2008, 10:46 AM
wmt,pot,mos,mon,oxy,hess,unp,csx,mcd,fslr. Yesterday would have been a good day to buy a few positions (any time the market drops 500 to 700 points)

TimH
11-07-2008, 10:51 AM
land in Brazil or Costa Rica :)

Henning 4148
11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm with Mr. Roberts and Kerkorian here. Haven't done it yet, but it is what I intend to do in the future. Haven't been burned by the crash now and having been able to outwait the implications of the 2001 crash, I still do not fancy anonymous investment any more.

Kerkorian said, he only invests in what he understands. Served him well I guess.

So, what do you understand? Do you understand the business side of say genetic engineering? No? Well, then either put some serious work into understanding it and check if the business plans make sense - or find something to invest in that you understand.

Now, Kerkorian was recently in Germany looking for smallish companies to invest in, preferably managed by their owners. So, again, perhaps, this makes sense, to look for smallish companies to invest in. Next point is: Once you start to look for smallish companies to invest in, you can also look locally. In that case, at least you will hear rumors early if things are not well. You will even be able to tap into the rumors before you invest. And - instead of being a small shareholder of a big company, you may be a big shareholder of a small company for the same investment - with all the benefits that a company grants its big shareholders. Even if it is only a free drink now and then at the local cafe where you invested.

Another point is, that investment changes and shapes the world. So, with your investments, you can also influence (to a smaller degree than Kerkorian) how the world will look in future. Do you want brokers affording fancy Ferraris for having sold you toilet papers? No? Well, than don't give them your money.

By the way, be warned, none of this does guarantee you a positive ROI. You can loose everything if you invest. But I guess we just learned that this also applies to investments in Lehman Brother or other Pros. The incentives payed for selling crap seem to have been so high, that there was no stopping the greed. At least, investing in what you understand and believe in can make the world a better place for yourself.

brad9798
11-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I did the Costa Rica thing ... good stuff ... even have monkeys in the back yard when there! How cool is that!

jbelow
11-07-2008, 11:15 PM
We should invest where Obama tells us to invest . We should give our money to the government. Our leaders are much more intelligent than we the people. They know what is better for us than we do. They can redistribute our money as they see fit.

Memphis Mike
11-08-2008, 12:01 AM
We should invest where Obama tells us to invest . We should give our money to the government. Our leaders are much more intelligent than we the people. They know what is better for us than we do. They can redistribute our money as they see fit.

They're much more intelligent than you are....anyhow.

TimH
11-08-2008, 12:10 AM
I did the Costa Rica thing ... good stuff ... even have monkeys in the back yard when there! How cool is that!

is land cheap there? Are you near the ocean?

jbelow
11-08-2008, 12:14 AM
They're much more intelligent than you are....anyhow.

Why the insult ? You must be an Obama elitist.

Memphis Mike
11-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Why the insult ? You must be an Obama elitist.

GFY "Good For You"

BTW, I tried real hard guys but I won't stand for this ****.

jbelow
11-08-2008, 12:31 AM
GFY "Good For You"

BTW, I tried real hard guys but I won't stand for this ****.

Don't get so upset. Push the ignore button.

Memphis Mike
11-08-2008, 12:36 AM
Don't get so upset. Push the ignore button.

Screw you, Peterhead.:)

jbelow
11-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Screw you, Peterhead.:)

That is not nice.

brad9798
11-08-2008, 09:21 PM
TimH-

Up on a mountain side, but can see the ocean ... VERY cheap, with regard to US property.

I had a thread about it a while back ... I'll see if I can find it.

Nearly all in the development are ex-pats! Many are full-time living there!

Paul Pless
11-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Gosh 22 posts and no one has suggested buying guns yet?:rolleyes:

you guys are seriously slacking off...

Henning 4148
11-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Buy a gun? Can't just buy a gun, live in Germany, not willing to go through the trouble to get the required licence.

Doesn't mean I can't handle guns, I did my national service, got trained on automatic rifle, machine pistol and machine gun and got on especially well with the machine gun ;-)

No, for me, there are more important things to invest in than guns. For me, it is currently completing the solar heating system. Strange thing is, that oil prices started to drop the moment we had ordered the solar collectors. Didn't know the market was that sensitive to our decisions ...