PDA

View Full Version : "Religulous" - Any one seen it ?

Rigadog
10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Pretty funny movie with it's use of old Bible films and wacky religious subject matter side by side. Bill Maher, funny as he is, comes off a bit too clever and smug at times. The only Christians who come off well are a couple of Catholics.

Flying Orca
10-28-2008, 06:08 PM
I think Oystagirl and I will check it out just for giggles. Probably not 'til it's out on video though.

Flying Orca
10-28-2008, 06:23 PM
...kneecaps? :confused:

ron ll
10-28-2008, 06:26 PM
A small hammer hasn't been working. We need a sledgehammer before religion does any more damage to this world.

Tom Montgomery
10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I will not go to see it.

I don't like Bill Maher. He strikes me as being smug, over-the-top, and too-clever-by-half ALL the time.

I guess that would be OK if he was strictly a comedian. But he behaves this way while asking us to take him seriously.

Flying Orca
10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
I've only seen a short trailer for the film - who is he and what's his schtick?

Donn
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
I've only seen a short trailer for the film - who is he and what's his schtick?

Great question. He's nobody, and his "schtick" is shock comedy, minus the comedy.

Tom Montgomery
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Bill Maher is a professional comedian. For several years now he has had a cable TV show on which he and three guests (from the worlds of politics, business and entertainment) sit around and discuss politics and the issues of the day. Maher is an outspoken and unabashed liberal. He always seems to have one conservative invited for the panel.

I find the show to be annoying. You can have Maher, Paris Hilton, Rick Santorum and Eddie Van Halen sitting around and sharing their ignorance about the issues of the day. We usually have much more interesting conversations here in the Bilge.

Also annoying: Maher can be funny, but he also takes himself VERY seriously.

P.S. I'm on Donn's "ignore list." Somebody let him know that I just agreed with him. It will rock his world. :p

Bob Cleek
10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I generally love comedians and I can't stand Bill Maher. His humor is mean spirited and smart assed. I don't know why they keep him on the air. Obviously, he has a serious gix about religion. He never misses a chance to run it down. What scares him about it escapes me. If you aren't into religion, fine. Just ignore it and go about your life. For Maher, it's some kind of crusade. Maher is Jerry Fallwell's evil twin. Two sides of the same wooden nickel.

Woxbox
10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Saw it. Michael Moore all over again, this time on religion. Some funny stuff, but I do think he's wrong in presuming that all wars fought in the name of religion were actually caused by the religion. Also, he goes after the Christians big time, hits the Jews less; the Muslims just a bit, and pretty much leaves everyone else alone. Worth a Netflix rental, but not a theater ticket.

ron ll
10-28-2008, 07:00 PM
If you aren't into religion, fine. Just ignore it and go about your life.

I wish it were that simple. I'd gladly ignore religion if it wouldn't keep intruding on my life and poisoning the world. Remember, among many other offenses, the current terrorist crap is a direct result of religion. Just how do we ignore it?

Vince Brennan
10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
I wish it were that simple. I'd gladly ignore religion if it wouldn't keep intruding on my life and poisoning the world. Remember, among many other offenses, the current terrorist crap is a direct result of religion. Just how do we ignore it?

Ask Madeline Murray-O'Dead.

A victim of convictions.

Rigadog
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I think Maher would say he's agnostic.
It did make me want to go to that Jesusland place in Florida, and also the Creation Museum.

Robmill0605
10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
I think Maher would say he's agnostic.
It did make me want to go to that Jesusland place in Florida, and also the Creation Museum.

These are people that scare me. The Jesus freaks that feel they have the right to shout down anyone who disagrees with them.
A glaring example would be the Westboro Baptist Church, who I just want to slap the be-JESUS ( pun intended) out of.
It's fine if you believe what ever you want. Just stop telling me I have to or I'm going to hell.