PDA

View Full Version : Canada sends its naval forces to aid the US in Afghanistan

Syed
10-26-2008, 01:22 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a162/Eyre/clean340gi.jpg

S/V Laura Ellen
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Not so funny to the families of the Canadian forces that are currently serving (and those who have lost loved ones) in very tough conditions in Afghanistan.
The Canadian military is underfunded but still commits its forces in support of UN actions, and is still capable of getting the job done.

David G
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Those imperialistic, gun-waving, deep-frozen cowboys! It's all over but the shouting now... eh? :rolleyes:

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed aboot the U.S." -- J. Bartlett Brebner

David G
10-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry, Mr. Aylard. I was merely taking the post in its intended spirit... but you're right, of course.

mmd
10-26-2008, 02:46 PM
That photo is one of a series, and I've seen it photoshopped to depict the Canadian forces, the USA, USCG, Australia, etc. In fact, I've seen it posted by Canadian military members.

It's meant to be funny, and it is. Nothing to get all het up about...

norseman
10-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Good one Syed;-)

S/V, the invasion was not authorized by the UN, it was not a UN "action".

See for example canadian David Orchard;
http://canadianobserver.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/afghanistan-and-iraq-the-same-war/

Wayne Jeffers
10-26-2008, 03:09 PM
That photo is one of a series, and I've seen it photoshopped to depict the Canadian forces, the USA, USCG, Australia, etc. In fact, I've seen it posted by Canadian military members.

Yep!

I knew right away that it couldn't really be Canadian. No indication of fishing gear aboard. ;)

Wayne

Phillip Allen
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Yep!

I knew right away that it couldn't really be Canadian. No indication of fishing gear aboard. ;)

Wayne

dunno Wayne...looks like effective fishing gear to me

Tinman
10-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Good one Syed;-)

S/V, the invasion was not authorized by the UN, it was not a UN "action".

See for example canadian David Orchard;
http://canadianobserver.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/afghanistan-and-iraq-the-same-war/

Nope, sorry Norseman. Afghanistan IS a NATO led mission mandated by the United Nations. If you are looking for reliable information about Canadian involvement in Afstan, would suggest that David Orchard is not exactly a credible source. It is his party ^the Canadian Liberal partyłthat sent them there in the first place.

seanz
10-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Nope, sorry Norseman. Afghanistan IS a NATO led mission mandated by the United Nations. If you are looking for reliable information about Canadian involvement in Afstan, would suggest that David Orchard is not exactly a credible source. It is his party ^the Canadian Liberal partyłthat sent them there in the first place.

Ah, 'Is' and 'Was'.....
:rolleyes:

The invasion of Afghanistan didn't have a UN mandate (and may not have needed one) but military operations in Afghanistan have a UN mandate now.

Just for 'fun' everyone read this
http://www.newstatesman.com/books/2008/10/afghanistan-british-taliban

Sailor
10-26-2008, 05:16 PM
That couldn't be ours we don't have that weapon in our navy and our coast guard isn't armed. Our .50 Cals look nothing like that weapon.

Tinman
10-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Sailor. Actually we do. I was on Athabaskan just over a year ago, an there where 4 of exactly those weapons in racks on the brige. The crew regularly drills with them as defense against small boat attacks. They have a great "deterrent" effect. Every major ship in the fleet on both coasts now carries the browning .50 cal.

Phillip Allen
10-26-2008, 08:06 PM
That couldn't be ours we don't have that weapon in our navy and our coast guard isn't armed. Our .50 Cals look nothing like that weapon.

it's a FISHING pole!...the line doesn't show in this picture though

JimD
10-26-2008, 08:07 PM
I feel I must take a moment to set the facts straight. The photo in question was taken in the Persian Gulf and has nothing to do with Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan apart from the bigger picture in the war on terror.

Phillip Allen
10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
being a bit sensitive aren't we...?

seanz
10-26-2008, 08:19 PM
I feel I must take a moment to set the facts straight. The photo in question was taken in the Persian Gulf and has nothing to do with Canada's military involvement in Afghanistan apart from the bigger picture in the war on terror.

So they're fishing for Persian Catfish?
:p

S/V Laura Ellen
10-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Sorry, Mr. Aylard. I was merely taking the post in its intended spirit... but you're right, of course.

No offence taken. I was watching the local news when I posted my original post. They were announcing fatalities of Canadian forces in the Kandahar area. I may have over reacted.

JimD
10-26-2008, 09:01 PM
So they're fishing for Persian Catfish?
:p

The trolling motor is for sneaking up on suspected terrorist shipping. Catfishing is just the cover.

seanz
10-26-2008, 09:06 PM
The trolling motor is for sneaking up on suspected terrorist shipping. Catfishing is just the cover.

And the recoil from the gun is for a rapid (but defiant!) retreat?

Syed
10-27-2008, 03:12 AM

Exactly!

paladin
10-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Well.....I would use the weapon with caution.....It eats barrels, and the only replacement barrels available are Russian made as they still have the old hammer forge/dies to make them. We also buy much of our .50 cal ammo from them.
I would be more prone to purchase one of the new three shot bolt action magazine fed 20mm cannon that are currently available for about 7K and for an additional $3600 you can get a suppressor for it....then you can really reach out and touch someone....

Tinman
10-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Well.....I would use the weapon with caution.....It eats barrels, and the only replacement barrels available are Russian made as they still have the old hammer forge/dies to make them. We also buy much of our .50 cal ammo from them.
I would be more prone to purchase one of the new three shot bolt action magazine fed 20mm cannon that are currently available for about 7K and for an additional $3600 you can get a suppressor for it....then you can really reach out and touch someone....

It is my ferverent hope we never have to use them in the first place, but you are right a 20 mm cannon shell says "hello" in a very personal way.

Songololo
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Here's Denel's version:

http://www.denellandsystems.co.za/images/ntw_20_82/ntw_20_main_pic.png

A sales video :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXLRYf9EV2Y ... don't think I'd be walking around the bush dressed in black ...