PDA

View Full Version : Soooo... Facebook anyone?

Wild Dingo
10-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Now Im not usually one to get into such things but see Ive got this massive mob of hoons and near on all of them are using this Facebook thing so of course after months and months of cadjoling pleading beggin and such Ive given in and joined

But brother is it starting to make me feel... ANCIENT!!!... geez so many young people on that thing its damned near scarey!

Anyway it got me thinking... Joe I reckon is a sure bet to be on it but is anyone else using it?

Cheers
Shane

Flying Orca
10-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh, yeah. Standard thing in my circles - it's almost replaced e-mail as the way we keep in touch.

Wild Dingo
10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
You dinkum? I mean Ive spent a few hours checking it out but well to be honest it does seem to be young people... mmm maybe its just me having so many nippers over 21 that theyre all looking terribly young?

GOD!!! dont tell me Im getting old???? NOT ME!!! aaahhhh gak!! :eek:

mmmm so thats why Ive gotten no invites to be friends... buggar must be the damned white beard again! Sodding thing no matter how often I get the hairdresser to dye the thing the ruddy flamin white comes sneaking back through... and here I thought it looked distinguished and would cause sheilas to have palpatations and connipshuns in their rush to "invite me to be their friend" :( :rolleyes:

An here I was expectin a flurry of invites from these sheilas overseas to come visit awhile... sigh... :D

Cheers
Shane

Flying Orca
10-25-2008, 12:01 PM
When I first got on Facebook, it was mostly young people - I got on so I could keep tabs on what employees of my agency were posting, as I'd heard from colleagues that they'd had to let people go for violating confidentiality. Within a couple of months, though, as the Facebook phenomenon spread, my friends (mostly older than the employees I was keeping an eye on) started showing up.

I don't spend a lot of time on it, but it's nice to pop in for a few minutes and see what my friends in Mumbai and Glasgow and Vancouver and Santiago (etc.) are up to. We tend to use it to arrange social gatherings and other events like gigs, too.

Stick with it, you'll get the invites--and you can always search for people's names or e-mail addresses and send out some invites of your own!

reddog
10-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Shane;I'll have you as a friend.send me an invite to:
Earl Woodworth.

earl

Michael s/v Sannyasin
10-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Well, it was first developed by a kid at Harvard, specifically so that he and his close circle of friends could share stuff. Then, more people around his school wanted to join in. Then, kids from other schools wanted to join in. He kept it strictly for college kids for a long time. Eventually high schools were allowed to join.

Once MySpace started getting popular with old farts (who were mostly interested in networking with cute young women), Facebook allowed anyone of any age to register (in order to keep their market share).

The kid who started Facebook was offered a billion dollars by Yahoo for the company, which he turned down. Microsoft was said to have offered six billion. The kid said they might consider an offer of ten billion, but were not really planning to sell before going public some time next year. They make about 150 million a year on advertising.

I don't have a page.

Yeadon
10-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I've got one, but then, so does nearly everybody I know. Some people have pages and claim they despise them, yet they have a page.

I don't despise my facebook. I do wonder how it will all, though.

Once, I had a friendster account, but closed it and messed around on myspace, which I've since closed and moved to facebook. I guess I'm just a trendy little bastard.

Flying Orca
10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
The first social networking site I recall being worth taking part in was sixdegrees.com, but successive generations are better conceived and executed. MySpace didn't do much for me, but was a useful tool for the band; Facebook has more potential for grownups, I think.

Wild Dingo
10-25-2008, 07:57 PM
So... okay perserve and the friends will come eh?

OLD FARTS UNITE!!! :D :D

Actually I got one this morning from some young thing in Santa Barbara... mmmm now if I was just a dirty old man... but brother shes the same age as my eldest!!! now THATS scarey :D

Okay I will hang in there and see what happens! :cool:

Earl invite on way old son!!;)

Cheers
Shane

epoxyboy
10-25-2008, 09:39 PM
And here was me thinking I'm the only person who hadnt leapt onto the social networking bandwagon. I have an "invite" from my sister (8 years my junior), but to be honest I baulked at the amount of personal info they wanted. As far as I'm concerned, if somebody really wants to get in touch they can use a phone book and find me easily enough - I take the same attitude to my cell, as I refuse to be contactable 24/7 (not a Tylerdurden paranoia thing, I just value my peace and quiet!!)
Employers "checking up" on employees out of work activities using things like facebook is just another good reason to keep the hell out, IMO.

Pete

Flying Orca
10-25-2008, 10:12 PM
As far as I'm concerned, if somebody really wants to get in touch they can use a phone book and find me easily enough

True enough... but one of the nice things I've found about Facebook are the serendipitous reconnections with people you wouldn't bother to look up even if you did wonder "Whatever happened to...".

Employers "checking up" on employees out of work activities using things like facebook is just another good reason to keep the hell out, IMO.

In general I agree. However, my field has strict confidentiality requirements, and if an employee violates them we can get into big trouble. Unfortunately, despite a couple of rounds of training, employees don't always "get it", and something as simple as a photo from work could be enough to violate the confidentiality rules.

I'm pleased to say, though, that I have never seen an online confidentiality violation from one of our employees. :)

Wild Dingo
10-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Im not worried about any info they ask for as Ive choice as to what appears on my "page" and what I give out...

As for picking up the phone book and rining me... mmm well me home phone no longer works still payin line rental as its connected to the internet deal I got but cant seem to get a phone to work on the damned thing... no biggie most people I know have my mobile and those that dont well they could always ask eh!! ;)

Funny I just got an invite from a sheila I went to school with WAY WAY BACK WHEN!! :eek: who now lives in England and searched for and found my name and hello!! :cool:

And of course Ive got me ol mate Earl to yarn with ;)

Cheers
Shane

David G
10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Shane,

You're not the only old fart to join up. I've had several invites over the last 6 months or so, and finally decided just today to go ahead and join. Had the same thing. Almost immediately, a girl I know from high school contacted me to say hi. I'm up to two "friends" already, cause Mik (Michael Storer) is also on Facebook. My older brother is also thinking about joining... and he's ancient.

"The thing to remember is that the future comes one day at a time" -- Dean Acheson

Wild Dingo
10-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Well there you go then!! All good ;)

So its NOT Shane Dingo its NOT Wild Shane nor is it anything other than Shane Eyre... give me a hoi!! :D :cool:

shamus
10-26-2008, 03:03 AM
I hate it!
As if mobiles and text messages weren't enough!
I was buying petrol the other day, and went into pay. The girl behind the desk, whom I didn't recognise said "When's Holly's birthday?"
(Holly is my daughter)
I said "Next Saturday. But she's gone off to Perth for a holiday. I don't know if she'll be back."
"Oh Yeah, I saw that on her Facebook..."

Keith Wilson
10-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I joined just to freak out my son at college.

Oyvind Snibsoer
10-27-2008, 02:48 AM
I created a profile last year. It was part of an assignment at a company event - sort of to push us into Web 2.0 and all that. But, hey, the WBF is Web 2.0, too, so I'm already there :-)

Anyways, I don't give it much thought, but old friends that I haven't met or though about in years keep sending "friend" requests. So I hook up with old friends again. And that is actually quite cool.

Phillip Allen
10-27-2008, 05:38 AM
I signed up a few years ago...never check it though

Hughman
10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I see Shane subscribes to the "anything worth doing is worth overdoing" theory, as applied to his facebook page, he's been busy.

I urge everyone on WBF to "friend" him immediately, to keep him busy. Otherwise, he's liable to commit an unscheduled impulse, and no tellin what that might be....:eek:

Phillip Allen
10-27-2008, 09:34 AM
I see Shane subscribes to the "anything worth doing is worth overdoing" theory, as applied to his facebook page, he's been busy.

I urge everyone on WBF to "friend" him immediately, to keep him busy. Otherwise, he's liable to commit an unscheduled impulse, and no tellin what that might be....:eek:

now THAT is funny!

Another One
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm there - helps with swapping pictures across timezones and keeping up with the little stuff that makes me feel connected to distant family. Shane, I'll "friend" you but I don't remember your last name! Someone PM me or something?

ETA: Oh, duh. See post #14.

Phillip Allen
10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Well there you go then!! All good ;)

So its NOT Shane Dingo its NOT Wild Shane nor is it anything other than Shane Eyre... give me a hoi!! :D :cool:

yeah...sorta rymes with Jane Eyre...

Another One
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Will someone be starting a WBF Bilgerat's group on Facebook, then? We'll need a mascot for the picture . . .

Hughman
10-28-2008, 09:31 AM
I like Jamie's idea. Scot? A Friends of WBF? Is this redundant?