PDA

View Full Version : A basket of parts

cs
10-23-2008, 07:16 AM
(2)1982 GPZ 750 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180299385589)

A true basket of parts.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/14/78/dca9_1.JPG

http://i4.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/14/79/041f_1.JPG

I think his buy it now price ($2,500) is way to high and I probably won't have a chance of meeting his reserve, but I will put a bid in anyway. Looks like fun and if by chance I do win it, Happy Birthday to me.

Chad

capt jake
10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
I bought a bike like that (basket case) back in the 70's. It was a lot of fun, putting it back together. I only paid $50 though. ;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
... a nice safe mid-life crisis?

cs
10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Not really, unless I've been going through a mid life crisis since I was in my teens. :D

Besides, I'm only 24. ;)

Chad

Tylerdurden
10-23-2008, 07:38 AM
OCD again Chad?

cs
10-23-2008, 07:39 AM
No not really, I just always keep a weather eye out for bikes like this.

Chad

Popeye
10-23-2008, 07:41 AM
I think his buy it now price ($2,500) is way to high

i think for $2495 you could get something a tad better and even go for a ride on the same day you pick it up

cs
10-23-2008, 07:42 AM
I concur and would never pay that much for a basket of parts, but who knows how low his reserve is. I'll put a bid on it in a second and see what happens.

Chad

cs
10-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Well we know now that the reserve is greater than $100. Let's give it a minute more and than add some more.

Chad

Tylerdurden
10-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Chad, Find a used bike parts yard. They always have several repairable's on hand. I have one maybe 10 miles from me and he has 11 bikes that run and only need minor repairs in the same class as this one. The most expensive is $1100.
I never can tell what you are serious about because every week it seems like something new.
Maybe you could list out your purchase priority's?

cs
10-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I've come to the conclussion that $200 is not going to meet the reserve. Not sure if I'm going higher or not.

Chad

cs
10-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Mark I have two priorities, one is a diesel car and the other is a motorcycle. If you noticte I'm always looking for a bike to rebuild and I'm constantly looking for a car.

Priority on the bike is really too strong of a word. I look and if I see something I like for a price I like I go for it. If not I move on, no lost sleep.

The car on the other hand is getting more and more serious and I keep looking but not finding what fits (at least in my price range). I may end up getting a small gas burner in the interm.

Chad

cs
10-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Okay I reached the ceiling on what I was willing to pay on that basket of parts and $250 was not enough to get it. So back to work.

Chad

Mrleft8
10-23-2008, 08:15 AM
$250?!!! OK you have just proved what I suspected for a long time..... YER NUTZ!!! :D I wouldn't pay more than $25 for that bucket of bolts.
Hell there's a HD Sportster for sale down the road here for $3500 in perfect condition.

cs
10-23-2008, 08:16 AM
You're probably right. My sanity has always been questionable. :D

Chad

BTW that was really 2 baskets of parts. ;)

Tar Devil
10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
$250?!!! OK you have just proved what I suspected for a long time..... YER NUTZ!!! :D I wouldn't pay more than $25 for that bucket of bolts.
Hell there's a HD Sportster for sale down the road here for $3500 in perfect condition.

Most folks would pay more than that to have that junk carted off.

botebum
10-23-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm going to play the part of your wife for a minute- Chad, darling, you don't need another project right now. You haven't touched that boat thing, that you just had to have, in weeks, you run like a snail and that's gonna' get you kicked out of the military, you haven't met my needs as a woman since 1998, blah, blah, blah;):D

Doug

cs
10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Are you bugging my house? ;)

Chad

Tar Devil
10-23-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm going to play the part of your wife for a minute- Chad, darling, you don't need another project right now. You haven't touched that boat thing, that you just had to have, in weeks, you run like a snail and that's gonna' get you kicked out of the military, you haven't met my needs as a woman since 1998, blah, blah, blah;):D

Doug

I'd go along with all that... except the "Chad, darling" part.

My wife has terms of endearment for me... usually hyphenated names starting with "dumb-..."

paladin
10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Chad.....I paid less than 300 bucks for my Ariel and it was almost runable at the time......and I'm embarrassed to tell you what I sold it for, but it prepaid my granddaughters college tuition, room and board....and she's only 11.

Dan McCosh
10-23-2008, 03:11 PM
This reminds me of a guy I knew in college who had managed to acquire two Austin Healeys--one that didn't run, and the other for parts. His then-new wife caught him dragging a basket full of motorcycle parts up the back stairway, and pointed out (in her calmest Brooklyn voice) the fact that with all three machines, she was still taking the bus to work.

He went out and bought a car that actually ran.

--a Corvair.

Paul Pless
10-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Dougokay okay okay that was pretty good.:D
Can you do JCSOH's reponse to Chad too?;)

Tylerdurden
10-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Chad, if you are stuck on diesels may I recommend converting something. Lots of box trucks use 4 banger Cummins or rice motors.
Buy one in aluminum, strip out the drive train and scrap the rest.

I am looking for a decent postal jeep for just such a thing. Many platforms are suitable for conversion from gas to deisel.

John Meachen
10-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Any day now we are likely to see a post from Chad about his plans for a bio diesel fuelled motor cycle!It just might be a good idea.

boylesboats
10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Chad, save your money man....
All I see is someone trying clean their up yard by selling junks that you can't get parts for...

I don't know how many of those older jap bikes I scrap out... They only worth $150.00 in running condition... It ain't worth it....

cs
10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I think the value might be higher to me because that is a bike that I like and to me it would be a fun project. I need to look around here for a bike junk yard. I always here about one but have never found it, but than I haven't searched way out of my way to find one either.

Chad

boylesboats
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Awww Heck Chad,
There gotta be cheap old bike "running" locally in your area... That'll be a big plus for ya...

cs
10-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Last year I almost bought an old Honda that was a basket case for $200. It was in better shape than the GPZ's shown above, but I like the GPZ better. I didn't get that bike last year because I decieded to do the pack canoe. I don't regret the choice. I look all the time on CL's but basket case bikes are not as common or as cheap as they used to be.

BTW just for comparison, here is a 1983 GPZ 1100 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-gpz-kz-kg-1983-gpz-1100-fuelinjected-kz-gp-ninja-1000-1100-gpz_W0QQitemZ300266385588QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 00266385588&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 ) that has a buy it now price of $2,000 which is $500 less than the buy it now price of the 2 basket cases.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/14/30/36e1_12.JPG

Chad

Lew Barrett
10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I've always liked the GPZs, but ther appears to be a ton of stuff missing there. It's hard to tell what's in that bucket, but whatever it is, it's in a rusty bucket!
Keep up the search, Chad!

Lew Barrett
10-23-2008, 07:08 PM
You'll find the brakes not up to the engine on any early 80's Suzuki or Kawasaki you ride today. They seemed great at the time, though! That's a good motor.

cs
10-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah the GPZ's and the Interceptors have always been some of my favorite bikes. These are the beginings of the "crotch rockets".

Chad

boylesboats
10-24-2008, 02:36 AM
Hey Chad,
Long ago there was a meanest bike ever made by Kawasaki.. It have been named "widowmaker" because nobody was ready to experience super streetbike like this http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_H2
It may be jurassic by now...

cs
10-24-2008, 05:29 AM
On a prevous thread I had posted my Kawasaki Triple story. I've owned two '76 KH-500's (at different times). I burned up the engine in the first (clogged oil injector) and the other one never ran and needed the lower end re-built (I ended up selling it). I'll look and see if I can find where I had posted my triple story.

Chad

cs
10-24-2008, 05:35 AM
I found my triple story, and of all places it was in Mike's Motorcycle Safety Thread. Funny thing to find a story about a Triple in a thread dedicated to safety. :eek:

But here is the story from that thread, and keep in mind this is all true.

Ohh, is this where I get to tell my Kawasaki triple story? To bad, I'm telling it anyway.

Way back when I owned a '76 KH500, the one and same Kawasaki triple 2 stroker. Well mine had this thing where it would hesitate when you tried to pull out at sane speeds. So everytime that I started the bike moving from a dead stop I would start moving at insane speeds, thus the hesitant throttle problem was solved.

So one day I'm at a "T" intersection and I rack it the throttle up a bit and dump the clutch, same thing I always did, but this time a couple of other factors came into play. First I must have racked up the throttle a little bit too much and second the intersection was pavement with a lot of loose gravel on the road. You just think you can see where this is going.

Well like I said I racked it up and dumped the clutch. Those triples kinda screamed at me a bit (loved that sound), the back wheel started doing this slippey slidey thing and the front wheel decieded that it was tired of being earth bound. I came out of that intersection on the back wheel as the back wheel slid and spun around to the left causing me to make a right hand turn (the way I was going anyway) all the time the front wheel just a spinning freely away as the nose was up about 80 degrees (at least it felt that way).

Sheer stupidity, blind dumb luck and some sweat and tears kept me and the bike as one and in the road. Of course me being who I was and all that I never once let out of the throttle, may have been my hands were frozen stiff with fear and I couldn't untwist my right hand. By the time that I managed to get the front wheel back to earth it was time to shift to second gear. By this time I had my wits back (its amazing how much time you have to notice things in that split second) and when I hit second gear I looked down at the speedo and was already doing 50mph+. Man that bike would scream.

Besides the above incident there were three things I learned about that bike.

1. In second gear with throttle open the front wheel will come off the ground when it hit the power band (be very careful in corners with this).

2. Never ever trust the oil injectors to do what they are suppossed to do. The minute you do they quite injecting oil and you burn up the engine.

3. Handling is something that is better left to those that are designed for, something such as say a mini bike or a homebuilt skateboard, or anything but that bike.

Straight line though she was mean.

Chad

Chad

cs
10-24-2008, 05:38 AM
I'm sure that the BMW's are nice bikes but I've never been able to get past the look of the horizontally opposed engines on a motorcycle. But if ever one comes across up in my wanderings I will give it some serous thought.

Chad

Dan McCosh
10-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Wasn't Robert Persig last seen building a wooden boat?

garland reese
10-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Man, it looks like a lot of parts in that basket might not be useable...... lots of possibilities for cracked housings and such, I'd imagine.
Compared to the technologies of today's sport bikes, those old bikes are outclassed. Brakes, geometry, handling, suspensions..... all that stuff is much better these days. Don't discount checking out even a new bike. Depending on the level of restoration required, or desired, you can spend as much or more than to just buy a nice new modest sport bike.
I've seen brand new ('08) Yamaha and Honda bikes in TN for good prices.
Southern Honda in Chattanooga has brand new ('07) CBR900F (919) naked sport bikes for under 7 grand.......... yes, a lot more than a couple thousand, but you don't have to put another couple or three or more into it.
The 919 is sort of a working class sport bike...... I think it's pretty cool!
http://www.southernhonda.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=06963922X10K24K2008J7I1 1I13JAMQ1606R0&veh=40266&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2007

Sorry Chad, I know it's way out of the realm of what you might be lookin' for, but one reviewer says he gets in the 50s for mpg (I'd have to see that to believe it), and you don't have to suffer the wrath of reprecussion from the boss, for taking on another project ;)

One other thing I found amazing...... when I was bike shopping, insurance on a Kawasaki was nearly twice that of a Honda or Yamaha, and the Kawasaki was of a smaller displacement.

Tylerdurden
10-24-2008, 07:49 AM
I had a Suzuki T-500. I loved that bike for its reliability over the British bikes I have owned. Just a little blue smoke in the morning and one was good to go.

cs
10-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Not really willing to go out all at once and dump 7 grand on a bike. And besides where is the fun in that? :D

I'm always keeping my eyes open for a deal on a bike, and I guess if and when I get a bike the bike I get will depend on the deal I get.

It sure is fun watching and looking for and at bikes.

Chad

garland reese
10-24-2008, 08:52 AM
As far as motorcycles go, for me, the fun is mostly in the riding. Bikes in recent years are superior to their brothers of old...... I reckon motors don't change much, but EFI, suspensions, tolerances, tires, brakes, and performance geometries that have come from the track have trickled down to improve today's bikes. I think the handling characteristics of today's sport bike type are far better..... just a thought. I don't mind turning wrenches, but really, I just would rather ride.

From what I've found, motorcyle parts are expensive as well. Just the very minor changes I've made in my bike have cost me a fortune. As a matter of fact, I'm in need of a rear tire in the very near future....... LORD those things are pricey. And then you're lucky if you get more than 8000 miles out of the thing.

I'm sure there are some good deals out there.

cs
10-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I like the bikes of old (don't seem that old to me ;) ) and I've not really had a chance to go out and ride the newer bikes.

I also enjoy riding just to ride, but I also enjoy the time in the shop "tinkering" on things that I enjoy, boats, motorcycles and old MG's. I don't get as much pleasure from working on my truck or my car, but tinkering on toys is one of the great pleasures I have left. :D

As far as expensive, I mention that at one time I have had a total of two KH500's and one never ran for me. Part of the reason was that the lower half needed to be rebuilt and the price I was getting for the rebuild kit for that bike was around $900. :eek: But than the lower end of a two stroke is more expensive than a normal 4 stroke.

Just for comparision I rebuilt a straight 6 Chevy for around $1,000 total.

Chad

garland reese
10-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I put a re-manufactured short block 350 in my old 74 chevy pickup for less than $800 dollars in 1979. At the time, I thought that truck was old. In recent years, my personal vehicles have been 15 or twenty years old :D

I did finally break down and get a new vehicle a couple months ago.

Bike parts prices are a bit shocking!

I'm pretty basic on the vehicle thing. I just don't think of them as toys.... necessary (well semi-necessary) evils perhaps.... even my bike mostly gets ridden to work and for short/light errands.

I have a buddy at work. Bought aHarleyD. Has had it probably two years. He's put only 3200 miles on it! It has more trailer miles than actual road miles. He's got it up for sale.

In our garage sits a little RX-8..... but that is the "hers" mobile. When we take that..... she drives. I just hang on :D