PDA

View Full Version : Euro question

Tealsmith
10-22-2008, 01:46 PM
What percentage of normal retail purchases are made with euros? Have some countries done away with their native currencies? I know that some countries have (Sweden) have voted to not use it. Just curious.

Flying Orca
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
AC-B, on the one hand I agree with your wish, but on the other, I love UK currency... brings back pleasant memories, just holding the oddly shaped and sized (to me) coins.

Tealsmith
10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Are euros accepted at all in the U.K. or Sweden, or must they be exchanged for pounds? Do any countires use two currencies at the same time?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Are euros accepted at all in the U.K. or Sweden, or must they be exchanged for pounds? Do any countires use two currencies at the same time?

Do you serve lobster?

Sit down sir, we serve anyone.

In theory the euro is not usable in the UK, in practice some accommodation can usually be reached.

Clencher
10-23-2008, 12:13 AM
I was in Switzerland last week. Not being "in Euope" they still use the Swiss Franc. But they'll take your money whatever it is, pounds, dollars, euros. You always get change in Swiss Francs though.

Good scenery mind you.

Oyvind Snibsoer
10-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Most places that cater to tourists will take Euros, or Dollars or Pounds for that matter, here. Only bills, though, not coins. And your change is in Norwegian Kroner.

I heard from a friend who lived in Spain when they converted to Euros, that the price of a cup of coffee effectively doubled over night. With Pesetas, a cup of coffee cost around 0.50. When the Euro was introduced, it was more 'convenient' to charge exactly 1.00, so all the coffee shops did that simultaneously. Happened with other low-cost items, too. Salaries stayed the same, of course :-b

Tealsmith
10-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Thank you for the information.

Vince Brennan
10-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Now, THAT was an interesting thread. Informative, polite and civil.

WHAT the (censored) is something like this doing, polluting MY FILTHY BILGE?:eek:

Tealsmith
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I'm very sorry, please forgive me.

paladin
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I still like the way that they do it in Saudi.....
You work for wages....paid in cash in U.S. dollars......
When you prepare to leave the country and wish to change the dollars to a bank draft or travelers checks, you don't pay for travelers checks, they pay you (or did)...and you gain a 8-10% premium for not removing the currency from Saudi...it adds up in a hurry. Take the travelers checks with you and pass through Greece.....buy gold in Greece at a bit below market using the travelers checks. Arrive in the U.S.....sell gold at a 3-4% premium....wait one week, take the cash back in a money belt...work another 90 days in Saudi, repeat....each time gain 15-20% in the market, per trip.....

Mad Scientist
10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Last time I was in the U.K. (pre-Euro, in the 90's), some of the change I received was in the old pre-decimal British coinage. If they still do this, it must really confuse things!
But, I suspect all of those ancient coins are out of circulation now...

Tom

paladin
10-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I loved it in Cambodia during the Vietnam war years.....They would take American currency, and give you the change in riels, but they were "smart".....they figured that stupid Americans didn't know that the old riels were worthless and so they gave change in the old currency....they did the same with postage stamps....if you purchased stamps they gave you the worthless ones before the change in government. My aunt collected currency and stamps. She said that the couple of hundred dollars in old style stamps and currency financed much of her retirement as the old stuff was destroyed that couldn't be passed off to "tourists"....