PDA

View Full Version : How to fix plank hood ends? (Bow)

Noah
05-23-2003, 11:45 AM
In my previous post about what it would cost to fix the stem, I touched on the fact that the hood ends of the top two planks were rotten for about 6 inches back from the stem.

How would you go about fixing this? Replace both planks full length? Just scarf in two new shorter pieces? Other techniques?

Thanks,

Noah

Alan D. Hyde
05-23-2003, 12:33 PM
I have never done this myself, Noah, but I have been repeatedly told by those who have done it (and should know) that a good 12-to-1 scarf is just as strong, if not stronger, than the wood in the rest of the plank.

Alan

Bob Cleek
05-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Alan's absolutely right. As a practical matter, however, in most instances it is easier to replace the whole plank. You will have to remove the planks in any event to scarf in new healthy wood. At that point, unless they are very heavy and extremely long, it is probably going to be easier to simply use the old plank as a pattern and cut a whole new one.

Noah
05-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Ok, that sounds like good advice.

Still not sure about the boat, and what the owner will accept for an offer. Just trying to figure out what I'm gonna need to fix, and how I'm going to do it.

Thanks,

Noah

rbgarr
05-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Noah- You may have mentioned this in your earlier post about this particular boat, or investigated it, but if you've got hood ends that are rotten, there's a good chance the stem is in need of repair also if only for fastening purposes.

[ 05-23-2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]

Noah
05-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Yeah Rbgarr,

Down the list of post's is one called "What would it Cost?" or something like that.

The Stem needs to be replaced as well as those two planks on either side. It may only need to have the first 1-2ft scarfed in, but probably the whole thing should be replaced. I'm figuring that it might run around $5k to get the whole thing done the way I want it. Maybe more. I will factor this totaly cost into my offer.

Noah

Ken Hutchins
05-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Noah, might I suggest that you visit the Lois McClure and talk to Paul Rollins, I think he will be there on the weekends, he has lots of experience building and repairing. He should be able to offer some advice and possibly some estimates.