PDA

View Full Version : OK, now I'm ticked...Pantry moths

coelacanth2
10-13-2008, 11:45 PM
About two years ago, we began having problems with pantry moths. The little buggers get into EVERYTHING even remotely grain based. The latest bloom sowed up in several bags of rice, two of which hsd never been opened. Also, a screw top container was infested. We've been using pheromone based glue traps with some success, but just when we think we've got it licked, like politicians, 'THEY'RE BAAAAAAACK":mad:.
Any suggestions? I don't like seeing my stuff go to feed these parasites.

Captain Blight
10-14-2008, 12:16 AM
About two years ago, we began having problems with pantry moths. The little buggers get into EVERYTHING even remotely grain based. The latest bloom sowed up in several bags of rice, two of which hsd never been opened. Also, a screw top container was infested. We've been using pheromone based glue traps with some success, but just when we think we've got it licked, like politicians, 'THEY'RE BAAAAAAACK":mad:.
Throw it all in a freezer for a couple days. For added efficacy, dump a CO2 fire extinguisher in it before you slam the door shut.

Captain Blight
10-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I have been spending too long in the seamy underbelly of the Intertube. I keep reading the thread title as "panty moths."

BETTY-B
10-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Are panty moths like fruit flies? Clean the dishes, wash the sink/counter and they go away?

The Bigfella
10-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Would panty liners help?

Spin_Drift
10-14-2008, 03:11 AM

Here. This is in pdf form. Hope it helps.
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/infoservices/pesticidesandyou/Summer%2003/pantry_moths.pdf

This too might be of help...
http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/health/moths.html

Freezing does not kill bugs. We had fruit flies and I made a trap in a jar for them and caught many. Put the trap in freezer (experimental) and they looked dead when taken out.

Interestingly, they were very much alive when thawed out again...:(

Mrleft8
10-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Fire works. Throw everything not in an unopened glass jar or can out. Clean every surface with chlorine bleach. Take the cabinets off the wall and clean behind them. (That's where you'll find a plethora of eggs and pupae) Cross your fingers and hope for the best. My experience is that once you get them, you'll never truely get rid of them.
I was lucky. I had a moth free house for 10+ years.... Then some kind individual brought me a bag of infested flour.....

Rigadog
10-14-2008, 08:04 AM
We had 'em too. Come in on a shipment of rice from the Far East, 'bout a year ago. You gotta get the little traps that have some kinda mothsex smell and they get stuck to the glue. If you are influenced by that smell, don't use the traps, or you will have an embarrassing situation to splain away. Option 2 is a shotgun, 12 guage is best, though some like a 4-10

David W Pratt
10-14-2008, 08:34 AM
We put a bay leaf or two in the containers. Keeps them out.
Good luck.

Phillip Allen
10-14-2008, 08:35 AM
you could do like happen to me...house fire, cabinets sat under the carport through the winter, walls re painted, cabinets re painted...not to mention the insect foggers set off numerous times during the rebuild to discourage spiders and such.

may be a bit extreme...

PatCox
10-14-2008, 09:14 AM
I just eat them.

Popeye
10-14-2008, 09:24 AM
moths in your drawers..

you need to get out more