PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong here? (Aircraft related)

MiddleAgesMan
10-12-2008, 03:07 PM
What gives? ;)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w168/MiddleAgesMan/CessnaProp.jpg

Backfin
10-12-2008, 03:46 PM
It's a rig I've seen before. It's called a cloud router.

Tylerdurden
10-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Engine run up, the prop issue is an illusion.

BrianW
10-12-2008, 04:25 PM
It's the wacky rubber prop gag again. Gets'em every time. :)

Captain Blight
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
It's the wacky rubber prop gag again. Gets'em every time. :)That's awesome, do they make them for boats too?

MiddleAgesMan
10-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Engine run up, the prop issue is an illusion.

We have a winner!

A friend of my son shot this with his BlackBerry--nothing unusual about the scene, the plane, or the prop--they're trying to figure out why the engine is running rough. And then they took a look at the picture!

I like the cloud roto-rooter theory the best though. ;) We were trying to figure out what might have bent that prop and the only thing we could come up with was the plane was flying in reverse when it struck the ground tail high. ;)

BrianW
10-12-2008, 04:57 PM
they're trying to figure out why the engine is running rough

Well beside the thrust forces winning the battle over the centrifugal forces on the prop, it's missing 2 cylinders. ;)

So what was the verdict?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-12-2008, 05:00 PM
er, its a Cessna 172. The engine cowling is off. And no chocks.;)

Captain Blight
10-12-2008, 05:23 PM
And the front tire could use a little air.

MiddleAgesMan
10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I didn't get the end of the story so I don't know why it was running rough. But I did get the story about the young female flight instructor who was just taking off when she noticed it was running rough.

Instead of making a 90 turn to a cross runway or going around and landing on the one she took off from, she did a sharp 180 and aimed for a downwind landing on the original one. She didn't get down quickly enough and touched down near the middle of the 4000 foot runway, with a tail wind and 2000 feet of pavement in front of her. She couldn't stop so she had to lift off again and barely cleared some trees. At that point she got wise and made the 90 degree turn she should have made at the first sign of trouble. She landed on the crossing runway without incident. I understand she took the rest of the day off. ;)

The Bigfella
10-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I'd give her a longer holiday than that

I didn't get the end of the story so I don't know why it was running rough. But I did get the story about the young female flight instructor who was just taking off when she noticed it was running rough.

Instead of making a 90 turn to a cross runway or going around and landing on the one she took off from, she did a sharp 180 and aimed for a downwind landing on the original one. She didn't get down quickly enough and touched down near the middle of the 4000 foot runway, with a tail wind and 2000 feet of pavement in front of her. She couldn't stop so she had to lift off again and barely cleared some trees. At that point she got wise and made the 90 degree turn she should have made at the first sign of trouble. She landed on the crossing runway without incident. I understand she took the rest of the day off. ;)

ahp
10-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Where is the door?

The Bigfella
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
What is the pilot doing with his left hand?

Pugwash
10-12-2008, 06:58 PM
http://www.truckspills.com/truckaccidents/sliced_plane_1.jpg

Oops!

Paul Girouard
10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
--nothing unusual

about the scene, the plane, or the prop--they're trying to figure out why the engine is running rough. And then they took a look at the picture!

Ah, wouldn't the engine running rough be considered unusual? Maybe not, guess that would depend on the pilots opinion.

Props do look weird on start up and shut down. Thats normal.

E-2's , C-2's, P-3's etc all have that weird look when they fire-um up. Helo's not so much.

Paul Girouard
10-12-2008, 07:04 PM

Oops!

Parked to close to the foul line again eh! :D Or a wide right landing by the E-2.

pila
10-12-2008, 08:08 PM
The nose tire on the 172 doesn't need air. Run-ups pull the nose down with the brakes on. Most folks don't use chocks on a run-up on a beer can like a 172. High power setting run-ups for any extended time can do cylinder damage due to hot spots where the airflow isn't directed as in a cowled engine.
Neat picture:)

brad9798
10-12-2008, 08:50 PM
The front fell off!

:D

Bob Adams
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM

Oops!
Another prop driven plane got a little too close on the taxiway?

The Bigfella
10-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Another prop driven plane got a little too close on the taxiway?

Its OK, it'll buff out.

htom
10-13-2008, 01:14 AM
The sliced Seminole is neither a breast-implant deprived wife nor an instructor pilot having an affair with her; either the brakes failed or the would-be pilot did. Story and another photo. (http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Insurance/Plane.htm)

I don't understand the photo effect that generates the curved prop. Oh, never mind -- shutter opens, prop is constantly changing position and speeding up, shutter closes.

BrianW
10-13-2008, 01:47 AM
htom,

I don't understand it either.

Tylerdurden
10-13-2008, 04:12 AM

I had one like that when the mechanic forgot to wire the mags. I turned back when I had enough altitude and made it halfway downwind when it let go. Some flaps and a lot of skid got me to the numbers and my passenger thought I was the reincarnation of the Red Barron.
Only two ways to go, the Hero or the black spot.:D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-13-2008, 04:25 AM
This is one of two odd effects of propellers on film the other one occurs with old- fashioned cine film where at taxi speeds the props can appear to be turning slowly backwards.

What is happening is just that the tips of the blades are moving faster than the part of the blade towards the hub.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-13-2008, 04:33 AM
I don't understand the photo effect that generates the curved prop. Oh, never mind -- shutter opens, prop is constantly changing position and speeding up, shutter closes.

Given a mechanical shutter I can see a way to produce the curved blade effect in a still, - Set on 1/1000, each part of the film is exposed for one thousandth of a second, but it's done by a moving slit so that not all parts of the film get the same one thousandth of a second....

There is a lovely demonstration of the distortion in a Photo-finish picture
Usain Bolt (http://www.wikiupload.com/images/usain-bolt.php) - I saw that race on telly, and from memory he had two legs about the same size.

I don't know enough about digitals to guess whether there is an equivalent effect.

BrianW
10-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Well it had better be an illusion, or those prop blades are stressed. :)

I've been around a few rotating props in my time. Especially fond of tracking Huey tail rotors by sticking wax pencils into them at 100% NR, having them shutdown, check the marks, make adjustments, and do it all over again.

I've taken a few pictures of running props, and rotors, and except for the normal coning of helicopter main rotors (due to dissemetry of lift between the advancing blade vs retreating blade and/or weight) I've never seen anything like that picture.

Live and learn.