X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Memphis Mike
    Banned
    • Jun 2001

Question For The Motorcycle Guys

How many miles can I expect to get on Reserve with my new bike. As most of you know it's a Yamaha V Star 650. I'm trying to figure out the total range to a tank full. All I'm looking for here is a rough estimate. It's a 4.2 gallon tank.

Riding home tonight I had to put it on Reserve with 113 miles to this tank full.
  • Shang
    • Sep 2000

Re: Question For The Motorcycle Guys

Oh, gosh...I dunno... How far is it from the scene of the accident to the Emergency Room...?

Comment

• Phil Heffernan
      • Oct 2005

so you're gettin' about 28 mpg, the myth of great motorcycle fuel economy revealed (although that seems low, I get 35 mpg with my Sportster)...Still...

Fill up every 100 miles...That's the deal with your bike...running on reserve is risky, plus you're vulnerable to all the silt that is at the bottom of every tank...

IMO

PH

Comment

• Phil Heffernan
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Shang
        Oh, gosh...I dunno... How far is it from the scene of the accident to the Emergency Room...?
        Typical useless bike paranoia...Is this always here because the WBF is mostly old farts?

Whatever happened to gronicles anyway?

PH

Comment

• Shang
          • Sep 2000

Originally posted by Phil Heffernan
          Typical useless bike paranoia...Is this always here because the WBF is mostly old farts?

Whatever happened to gronicles anyway?

PH
          Aw, com'on... we all know that with a bike it's not a question of WHETHER you'll crash, it's just a matter of WHEN...!

And how much meat you'll leave on the road,
          "... Gronicles be damned! Never mind the mescaline, I want to RIDE...!"

I've mentioned before how well I remembered the nigh when I was laying there thinking, "Gee, I really love this bike..."
          Unfortunately at the time I was laying in the middle of Interstate Eighty-One with the bike on top of me...

Comment

• Memphis Mike
            Banned
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Phil Heffernan
            so you're gettin' about 28 mpg, the myth of great motorcycle fuel economy revealed (although that seems low, I get 35 mpg with my Sportster)...Still...

Fill up every 100 miles...That's the deal with your bike...running on reserve is risky, plus you're vulnerable to all the silt that is at the bottom of every tank...

IMO

PH
            Thanks Phil. A guy I know that has an identical bike told me he got around 160 miles to a tank full. That's why I was running low. I was trying to ascertain if he meant with or without the reserve.

Believe me, I didn't like it when it started running out and I had to reach for the fuel cock. I'll fill up from now on at 100 miles.

Comment

• Memphis Mike
              Banned
              • Jun 2001

Aw, com'on... we all know that with a bike it's not a question of WHETHER you'll crash, it's just a matter of WHEN...!

I've mentioned before how well I remembered the nigh when I was laying there thinking, "Gee, I really love this bike..."
              Unfortunately at the time I was laying in the middle of Interstate Eighty-One with the bike on top of me...
              BTW Shang, I'm not really the type of guy that runs a trailer guide through the hull of his Chris Craft.

Comment

• Phil Heffernan
                • Oct 2005

It's not a matter of WHETHER you'll die, it's just a matter of WHEN

Sorry pal, I've learned that survival in any motor vehicle is a question of judgement over luck, and all forms of motorized transport carry risk...

So don't lecture about my inevitable demise, I've ridden safely for too long to be scared off by the fears of amateurs

PH

Comment

• coelacanth2
                  • Apr 2006

Regular fill-ups are a good thing. If you really want to know, disconnect the hose to the carb, drain it into a measured container - that's your main. Then turn the cock to reserve - that's your reserve. usually about 20 miles, YMMV and walking to the nearest station is rarely any fun ... I should know
                  Brute force and ignorance, all in one bulky and unappealing package

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2001

Originally posted by The Bigfella
                    You got 26 mpg - leaving 24 miles in reserve. Riding style makes a BIG difference.
                    That's 137 miles total. That's the kinda answer I was looking for Big Guy.

BTW, these were all city miles and the bike really isn't broken in good yet. Will it improve?

Comment

• Memphis Mike
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by The Bigfella
                      Yep
                      Thanks. Then my friend with the same bike wasn't really too far off. His bike is broken in.

Comment

• botebum
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2002

You won't get the same mpg with Paris riding bitch but how far can it be to the nearest motel?

Doug

Comment

• LeeG
                          • May 2002

My dream Honda 250 would do better...heck a Honda Fit gets 28mpg.

Comment

• David G
                            • Dec 2003

My Honda CB400 gets 25 - 30 mpg. My new '09 Honda Fit gets 30 -36 so far. Guess which I'll be driving all winter.
                            David G
                            Harbor Woodworks
                            https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
                              obnoxiously persistent.
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by LeeG
                              My dream Honda 250 would do better...heck a Honda Fit gets 28mpg.
                              I rode a Honda 250 Superdeam - a truly horrible thing - they started life as a nice 400cc twin and then, specially for the Brit market, fitted smaller holes and matching pistons.

Gutless overweight pig of a bike - horsepower shortages held together with flat spots. Making progress meant keeping the tach between 8K and 10K and rowing it along with the gearlever.

Gave it away.
                              I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

Working...