PDA

View Full Version : Outside in or keep inside in?

cs
10-05-2008, 05:38 PM
The other day while talking to a lady at work we talked about when at home leaving the curtains open or close. I prefer to keep the curtains open when at home and her husband couldn't stand having them open.

So I thought I would ask the question here. Do you like to let the outside in or do you prefer to keep what is inside in?

Chad

Michael Beckman
10-05-2008, 05:41 PM
most of my house doesnt even have curtains.

skuthorp
10-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Window coverings at our place are largely to control temperature. New place will have double glazing and no curtains. But that's in a rural setting and screened from the road. The light and the view of the bush there is wonderful. Depends on your circumstance though, I knew a Hungarian woman who had 5 layers on her windows to keep the world out. Might have said something about living in a police state.

elf
10-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Beetle cat sail reef-up "curtains" get hung either to keep the heat in or the sun out, depending on the season. Often in the spring or autumn they get taken down entirely to let in more light. I have a few shades on other windows but they're full of dust from never being touched.

crawdaddyjim50
10-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I voted let the outside in. But with the caveat that depends on how close their nose is to the window...

Jim

Tealsmith
10-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Open during the day, closed at night.

S/V Laura Ellen
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Open unless there is a need for privacy.

botebum
10-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Only hang curtains in winter to help keep the heat in at night. Otherwise, they're wide open.

Doug

PatCox
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
First thing a burglar in your house is going to do is close the curtains, at least you cause him that inconvenience by keeping them open.

We don't lock our doors. Its just stuff. It doesn't own me. Anyone wants it that bad can have it.

Phillip Allen
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I gotta have light...at night all those "black" windows seem to absorb light so light colored blinds

it's all about light

doorstop
10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
If you don't ever want your curtains open then build a house without any windows I guess.
Me? I like mine open during the day but don't want to inflict my naked self on the neighbours at night.... NOT pretty!

pipefitter
10-05-2008, 09:35 PM
After welding all day every day, I value the darkness as it is soothing to my eyes. If I want to see the outside world, I go outside. With the land of perpetual sunshine, some darkness is welcome.

Paul Pless
10-06-2008, 05:17 AM
I like exposing myself to the world.:p

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-06-2008, 05:33 AM
A constant source of quiet domestic dishamony in our household!

I grew up around 51 deg N, my wife grew up around 14 deg N.

I open the curtains "to allow healthy daylight into the house". She closes them "to keep the light and heat out".

Our children remark on us going from room to room closing or opening the curtains. :D

paladin
10-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Having spent a few years near the Arctic Circle, and a few more in the same places as Andrew......I have heavy curtains on the windows/French doors so that I can sleep and keep out the heat, and when up and about have them wide open.

Phillip Allen
10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
A constant source of quiet domestic dishamony in our household!

I grew up around 51 deg N, my wife grew up around 14 deg N.

I open the curtains "to allow healthy daylight into the house". She closes them "to keep the light and heat out".

Our children remark on us going from room to room closing or opening the curtains. :D

I can get a good visual of that...funny

switters
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
most of my house doesn't even have curtains.

X2

but I'll put some up for winter this year because the bill got so high last year. If the local desperate house wives want to see my very middle aged shaped hairy body wondering around in the morning making coffee its their problem, not mine.

High C
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
No curtains at out house, but we'd never live in a home close enough, or unwoodsy enough, to others to need 'em.

Popeye
10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
..where the curtains are drawn but the rest of the furniture is real..

name the album

Leon m
10-06-2008, 10:15 AM
We're surrounded by nothing but nature...so deffinetly open.

Flying Orca
10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
..where the curtains are drawn but the rest of the furniture is real..

name the album

Moroccan Roll, Brand X.

hokiefan
10-06-2008, 11:09 AM
We open them in the day time, then close them at night. Its almost a way of telling the outside world goodnight.

Thats only for the shades in the front, the ones in the back stay open pretty much all the time.

Cheers,

Bobby

Popeye
10-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Moroccan Roll, Brand X.

phil collins

:cool:

Spin_Drift
10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Alaska house doesn't have curtains as we don't have people around there. We too like to have the light and the nature come inside.

Farm in Finland, curtains open during the day, closed at night...

cathouse willy
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I prefer to keep the curtains open, Just remember to turn off the lights before you go peering out the window at a strange noise. Nothing like being framed in the window by a light behind you for who knows to see