PDA

View Full Version : rebuild overhead

stan v
07-30-2001, 09:18 PM
just tore off my old, short hardtop. got tired of softening my already soft skull. while i was at it, i removed the old, leaky, windows. aluminum frames, and all. question, what material do you recommend to rebuild window frames (wood type), and new top supports? will go back with an epoxy, and one part poly paint. this old boat will outlive me. thanks in advance, stan. great site

Ed Harrow
07-30-2001, 09:57 PM
Perhaps a few more details on your boat might help?

stan v
07-30-2001, 10:42 PM
it's been a long day. she's a 24' 1972 cabin cruiser. i've cut out and replaced the core material, and replaced the deck. just cut the transom out, and waiting for my shipment of 1808 stitchmat to arrive. the hardtop was typical of 1972, very low, and heavy. all repairs have been made with epoxy. the top rebuild i want will raise the height approximately 1', leaving an opening above the new glass windows of about 18". curtains will close this open area in bad weather. i am considering white oak for the roof supports, and new window frames. however, i am reviewing some of the discussions on this board regarding epoxying the white oak. fir, and southern yellow pine, are distant seconds. i hate to waste mahogony on a boat to be painted. thanks, stan

TomRobb
07-31-2001, 10:41 AM
If I were rebuilding a glass boat, I think I'd use foam/glass/resin pretty much as designed. Probably others here with more practical experience w/ plastic boats could suggest other options.