PDA

View Full Version : She Will Be Slammed In the Debate {if she shows up}

Memphis Mike
09-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Her coach certainly hasn't done a very good job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP12aNzocSc

ishmael
09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I can't watch the yu toob, but the left better watch out for this lady. She's not at all dim, as you want to paint her. She'll hold her own with Biden, if not clean his clock.

sv Lorelei
09-25-2008, 12:26 PM
From MSNBC this morning

"Palin said Wednesday (http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/articles/2008/09/25/palin_us_could_face_another_great_depression/)that the United States could be headed for another Great Depression if Congress doesn't act on the financial crisis. Palin made the comment in an interview with 'CBS Evening News' anchor Katie Couric while visiting New York to meet foreign leaders for the first time in her political career. As Palin sought to establish her credentials in world affairs, first lady Laura Bush said Palin lacked sufficient foreign policy experience but was 'a quick study.' Recent surveys have shown that Palin's popularity, while still strong, has begun to fade."
Don’t miss this exchange between Couric and Palin…
COURIC: You've said, quote, "John McCain will reform the way Wall Street does business." Other than supporting stricter regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac two years ago, can you give us any more example of his leading the charge for more oversight?
PALIN: I think that the example that you just cited, with his warnings two years ago about Fannie and Freddie -- that, that's paramount. That's more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.
COURIC: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.
PALIN: He's also known as the maverick though. Taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about--the need to reform government.
COURIC: I'm just going to ask you one more time, not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation?
PALIN: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.

.....A swing and a miss....

TomF
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
edited - Lorelei beat me.

More at:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/24/eveningnews/main4476173.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Uncle Duke
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
I can't watch the yu toob, but the left better watch out for this lady. She's not at all dim, as you want to paint her. She'll hold her own with Biden, if not clean his clock.
I did watch. And I think the Democrats should be just giggling with joy - that was the most content-light interview I've seen in ages.
The questions were reasonable but the answers were about as deep as one might expect from a beauty-pagent contestant - vague responses with no detail, just fluff. And - not even really very good at the fluff, she looked very nervous.
If that is the best she can do after strenuous coaching, then McCain should be very, very nervous. Biden will eat her lunch at the debate.
It's going to be almost embarrassing to watch. But I will <Grin!>

Flying Orca
09-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm beginning to get the impression that she makes Danny Quayle look good.

john l
09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
you can't turn fir plywood into mahogany no matter how much stain you put on it!

Nicholas Scheuer
09-25-2008, 12:49 PM
I'll repeat what I posted on another thread from Garrison Keillor in yesterday's Chicago Tribune:

"What we are seeing is the stuff of a novel, the public corruption of an American war hero. It is painful. First there was his exploytation of a symbolic woman, an eager zelot who is so far out of her depth it isn't funny anymore. Anyone with a heart has to hurt for how McCain has made a fool of her."

This ain't the news from Lake Wobegon.

Moby Nick

pcford
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Have you been following what this poor woman has been saying?....In particular in those rare times when the press is allowed to approach her? Sad.

Ish, I am beginning to be concerned about your grasp of reality. Granted, it always seems tenuous but even that seems to have deteriorated.

TomF
09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Watching CNN the other night, they discussed the jaunt she'd taken to the UN to meet world leaders, and media access thereto.

The anchor noted that it was 26 seconds (could have been 29) that the sole producer from the entire media pool was allowed to be in the room, once the opportunity was given to hear Ms. Palin's voice. Hustled out the door when someone had the temerity to ask her a question.

I'm not making this up, you know - them's the facts.

The only bit we're free to speculate about is why.

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2008, 01:09 PM

WOW You're just an idiot Ish :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back on ignore with you buddy.

TimH
09-25-2008, 01:16 PM
WOW You're just an idiot Ish :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back on ignore with you buddy.

ROFL!!

You crack me up Joe :D

Chris Coose
09-25-2008, 01:20 PM

This is what he must perceive as he shall be voting for her and her running mate.
"hold her own with Biden"!!!! Hold her own what?

Rick-Mi
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry to interrupt this left wing circle jerk, but you better prepare yourself for the change from Governor to Vice President Palin.

TimH
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
she sounds like a blonde

Chris Coose
09-25-2008, 01:32 PM
she sounds like eyster

Joe (SoCal)
09-25-2008, 01:34 PM
she sounds like eyster

spew :d:d:d

TomF
09-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Rick-mi,

You know that "panic" word you kept tossing around a few days back? Best evidence I've seen of panic is your own vocabulary, when McCain or Palin are caught out in public.

Rick-Mi
09-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Rick-mi,

You know that "panic" word you kept tossing around a few days back? Best evidence I've seen of panic is your own vocabulary, when McCain or Palin are caught out in public.

I've never seen any crowd as bi-polar as liberals when it comes to the polls. One day we must remove sharp objects from your presense and the next one would think you can fly with no wings! I'll tell you one thing, don't give up your spot on the bridge just yet, the real poll is coming soon.

John of Phoenix
09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
she sounds like eyster
:D Perfect. :D

TomF
09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Rick-mi,

I think a variety of things could sink the Obama campaign. Panic over Palin isn't top of the list.

Unless "circle jerk" is how you describe your own participation in a run of Rep posts, that descent into vulgarity is a great indicator of your own panic.

Scott Rosen
09-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Did you actually READ her answer in post #13?

If so... can you interpret it for the rest of us? :p
It's obvious her supporters don't care what she says about trivial things like foreign policy and the economy.

It's guns, god and abortion, yeeeee haaaaaa!

Keith Wilson
09-25-2008, 01:59 PM
The only thing bipolar is conservatives' impression of what liberals think. Nobody on the left talked about "panic", only on the right. Nobody on the left is saying it's over.

There's an interesting video going around of Ms. Palin being blessed at her church in Wasilla by a visiting Kenyan minister before filing to run for governor in 2005. Among other things, he asks God to protect her from witchcraft. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkb9_zB2Pg Witchcraft could be a quite a problem for a governor of Alaska, I guess. . . .

johnw
09-25-2008, 02:00 PM
go easy on Ish. Haven't you ever heard the term 'low-information voter?

TomF
09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, were ill about this position that we have been put in. Where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh, it's got to be about job creation, too. Shoring up our economy, and getting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade -- we have got to see trade as opportunity, not as, uh, competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation. Maybe she was on the verge of speaking in tongues?

PatCox
09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Post number 13, Oh My GOD! She sounds like a mynah bird, literally like a parrot, just throwing out strings of sounds she has memorized but does not understand. There is absolutely no clue how to answer the question, and the usual low-intelligence sharpster's inane belief that she can hide ignorance with a torrent of words.

Rick-mi, oh my, oh my my. Guess what; your candidate is dumber than you, and thats saying something.

Another One
09-25-2008, 02:10 PM
By the way, did you see the new Palin video where her minister is praying for her to be delivered from witchcraft?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/25/sarahpalin.republicans

Muthee, in the sermon, calls on church members to try to gain footholds in centres of influence, such as politics and the media, and praises Palin for her bid to become governor of Alaska. He spoke about the hindrances she faced from her enemies. "In the name of Jesus, in the name of Jesus, every form of witchcraft is what you rebuke. In the name of Jesus, in the name of Jesus, father make away now," Muthee said.

That's gotta be a help for her just now, huh?

Phillip Allen
09-25-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm tired of debates...too much like football no matter what is said

OTOH, If Biden beats her as soundly as these gallows watchers (vulgarly knitting at the foot of the scaffold); the Democrats may end up looking like bullies...that could strengthen her support

ishmael
09-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Putting me on ignore for expressing a polite opinion simply demonstrates my point. The Left is terrified of this woman. I'm not sure what to think of her, and I'm about as partisan Right as a wombat. Fascinating to watch the panic.

johnw
09-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Ish, that's not low-information. That's delusional.

TomF
09-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Where's this alleged terror, this panic?

I see ridicule, disbelief. Despair that politics isn't, for a sizeable group, about what it should be (i.e. policy, issues, rather than warm feelings).

Keith Wilson
09-25-2008, 02:20 PM
The Left is terrified of this woman. This is utter nonsense. I was a bit surprised at first; I couldn't imagine what McCain was thinking. Then I realized she was picked to "energize the base", which she certainly did, while nobody else knew much abut her except that she was attractive and gave a good speech. Now her weak points are becoming evident; she's surprisingly ignorant of international affairs and national economic issues, and she can't BS her way through it. She was picked solely for political advantage, but I don't think it will work.

PatCox
09-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Reminds me of this faamous performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

Memphis Mike
09-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Putting me on ignore for expressing a polite opinion simply demonstrates my point. The Left is terrified of this woman. I'm not sure what to think of her, and I'm about as partisan Right as a wombat. Fascinating to watch the panic.

Terrified? HA! Amused yes but hardly terrified. I say more power to her. She's doing more to help to help secure an Obama victory than anyone.

JimD
09-25-2008, 02:33 PM
...OTOH, If Biden beats her as soundly as these gallows watchers (vulgarly knitting at the foot of the scaffold); the Democrats may end up looking like bullies...that could strengthen her support

He has to demolish her kindly and gently, like a caring father admonishing his little baby girl who thinks she's ready for the cruel world but daddy knows she isn't.

JimD
"Palin said Wednesday (http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2008/articles/2008/09/25/palin_us_could_face_another_great_depression/)that the United States could be headed for another Great Depression if Congress doesn't act on the financial crisis.

This must be why McCain chose her. See, he's admittedly not strong on economic issues but obviously she is.

ishmael
"Where's this alleged terror, this panic?"

Look around. I can see it right here. The Left is beside itself blathering and doesn't even realize it. Let's see, how many faux pearls WERE in Sarah Palin's graduation pearls? Up, it was an odd number, she's a witch, I know she's a witch.

Uncle Duke
09-25-2008, 02:34 PM
The Left is terrified of this woman. ...[snip].... Fascinating to watch the panic.
Terrified? I don't see any terror anywhere at all. I see people giving themselves hernias from trying not to guffaw in public.
The debate will not quite be a public train-wreck, but Palin will give vague political answers about how great John McCain is and how the American people rely on him. Biden will answer questions by covering the background of issues, where they stand now, opportunities for improvements and risk factors.
The difference will be distinct and obvious. And not to Palin's favor.

johnw
09-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Palin might actually beat expectations in the debate. The bar is set pretty low. But the expectations bar is set below expectations for basic qualifications. That's the one she's got to get by. It may happen, but I've got to say, Dan Quayle was ready to face the press the day after he was nominated. She's no Dan Quayle.

Ish, you're mistaking ebullience for panic. Not an easy mistake to make, but you've done it.

Rick-Mi
09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Rick-mi, oh my, oh my my. Guess what; your candidate is dumber than you, and thats saying something.

Yes, another smoke trail...... :D

BTW Pat, you disappeared on the first page of the "white privilege" thread before answering a question related to one of your statements.

Quotas have been illegal for years.

On what basis do you make a statement like that?

You claim racial quotas have been illegal for years. Perhaps you could elaborate on that a little further.

Rick-Mi
09-25-2008, 03:28 PM

In typical bi-polar fashion the victims don't even realize the dramatic swing in their own behavior in just a week or so on the issue of Sarah Palin. Just a short time ago they were ready for the rubber room and now after they have soaked up all the anti-Palin media propaganda, ignored the obvious bias in the ABC hack job, totally ignored the great interview with Hannity, are once again howling at the moon about the Couric interview and quickly forgot this lady drew 60,000 enthusiastic supporters in a swing state this weekend (and out drew Obama by thousands in another town). So now Obama makes a little blip in the polls all of a sudden the left thinks they are stomping on her political grave and Biden is about to roll her over! Just look at this thread and several just like it put up today! These people are now in a false state of euphoria when little has changed except in their own self induced psyche.

All of a sudden they think Palin is running from the debate and she will be "slammed" by pure blind partisanship projection. I say wait just a minute, because story is yet to be to told. One thing I do like is that the left has already declared her the loser, what chance could she possibly have?

Not a bad place for the pitbull to begin......;)

sv Lorelei
09-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Palin might actually beat expectations in the debate. The bar is set pretty low. But the expectations bar is set below expectations for basic qualifications. That's the one she's got to get by. It may happen, but I've got to say, Dan Quayle was ready to face the press the day after he was nominated. She's no Dan Quayle.

Ish, you're mistaking ebullience for panic. Not an easy mistake to make, but you've done it.

I agree, John. If she makes it through and keeps her foot out of her mouth, it'll be as close to a win as she's going to get with Biden.

Ish, At first I was wondering what McCain had up his sleeve with her, figuring maybe keeping her out of the limelight was just a tactic to "keep her fresh for the fight", and move her into play later. But the past couple weeks McCain's unwillingness to even let her stand surrogate to anything but the most innocuous circumstances, coupled by her inability to articulate anything original, or even deflect a question with any amount of composure, tell me that she just doesn't have the tools to play the game at this level.

I'm sure she's bright. I don't think she has a complete enough comprehension, nor a facile enough aptitude for politics at a National level. The depth of the answers she's given after (what must have been) some pretty intensive drilling on issues that she knew ahead of time were in play, tends to confirm that impression, for me at least.

Part of me is a little angry that a person who claims to love this Country so much, would take on the nomination for VPOTUS. Her subsequent performance make me feel that she did it for her own ambition far more than for the love of the American People.

I realize your opinion of her may differ. But hopefully you won't regard my indignation as fear of anything other than ending up with an even bigger incompetent in the oval office should the worst happen (as it sometimes does).

PatCox
09-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Rick-Mi, I make the statement that quotas have been illegal for years on the basis of being a lawyer and trained in constitutional law. Bakke v. Regents, waaaay back.

Rick-Mi
09-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Rick-Mi, I make the statement that quotas have been illegal for years on the basis of being a lawyer and trained in constitutional law. Bakke v. Regents, waaaay back.

Is that all your case amounts to counselor?

Please don't tell me you are unfamiliar with the concept of Numerus clausus , affirmative action, set aside contracts, battles all the way to the Supreme Court with the UofM defending their own brand of quota system?

If you think there has been no form or racial quotas for "years" I can't imagine someone who claims expertise to be so ignorant of reality.

Duncan Gibbs
09-25-2008, 04:02 PM
When she was first announced as running mate for McCain my impression was that she would "energize the base" but would also scare off any disgruntled Clinton voters who were going to switch to McCain. A few weeks in she would more than likely begin to scare off any McCain supporters who liked McCain's moderate republican face. I also predicted that the bruising glare of the spotlight would end up consigning Palin to the political scrap-heap like it did with Pauline Hanson in this country. I didn't expect it to happen so quickly though. But there you go!! :rolleyes:

John of Phoenix
09-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I can't wait to see her debate. I have no doubt that regardless of how well or poorly she does, she'll get rave reviews from the right. She's been a disaster so far and look how they rave. Jack hasn't even seen her and he's all agog.

I wonder how she spells potato/e.

Chris Ostlind
09-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Ricky's not going to dig into that one, Pat. He has all the very clear signs of a man who is past the point of desperation.

The polls just came out for Michigan, a state which Mac needs badly to avert a total landslide... and guess what... Mac is behind and getting behinder.

Maybe our favorite droid Michiganer can clone himself before the election and sweep Mac to the victory with mechanical ballot stuffing?

Didn't you say you were mechanically inclined Rick? Should be a snap to whip it out and chop it into small pieces, given enough time and electricity, GEEZ, there'll be three of you.

Rick-Mi
09-25-2008, 04:14 PM
She's been a disaster so far and look how they rave.

Oh my gosh, is it possible to be more disconcerted with reality? Sarah Palin has been the best thing imaginable for the McCain ticket! The base is on fire and women from all walks of life except "code pink" and the screeching NOW crowd are going wild. The combination of Obama being stupid enough to bypass Hillary and the Maverick's grand slam home run choice of Palin has made this a genuine horse-race in a year when the democrats should win by at least 15 points!!!

Keith Wilson
09-25-2008, 04:26 PM
That's not what the poll numbers show, Rick. http://www.pollster.com/polls/us/08-us-pres-ge-mvo.php A more accurate assessment is that she gave McCain enough of a bounce to pass Obama in the polls briefly for the first time since March, but the numbers are now about what they were before the convention. She hasn't helped with the center, and her recent fumbling interviews haven't encouraged those who worry about her readiness to be president.
. . a year when the Democrats should win by at least 15 pointsIt is perversely encouraging when you admit Bush has screwed up that badly.

John of Phoenix
09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Oh my gosh, is it possible to be more disconcerted [sic] with reality?
:D You guys really DO have a problem with reality. :D

Memphis Mike
09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I guess after they lose she can always do her layout in Penthouse. Not an issue I would buy.:D

Chris Ostlind
09-25-2008, 05:07 PM
... Sarah Palin has been the best thing imaginable for the McCain ticket!

Behold, Kool-Aid Boy has something to say.

Chris Ostlind
09-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I guess after they lose she can always do her layout in Penthouse...

It's not commonly known, but over the years I have made a very smart business out of my uncanny ability to read post-pregancy stretch marks, telling the women before me just where they will find true happiness.

Palin will get a free exam, but she has to have her husband come in for a phrenological exam to see just what the hell he's been thinking.

Memphis Mike
09-25-2008, 05:52 PM
I just saw the second half of the interview. All I can say is what a Bimbo!

Flying Orca
09-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I want to see this interview, does someone have a link?

Nicholas Scheuer
09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
TYhis dog will NOT be let out of the pen again without a leash any time soon!

Moby Nick

ron ll
09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Go to the Google News page. It is linked there in a couple of headlines today. http://news.google.com/

Memphis Mike
09-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Poor thing!

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4478156n

Flying Orca
09-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow. And I thought Stephane Dion didn't come across all that well sometimes.

Memphis Mike
09-25-2008, 06:16 PM
She is dumber than a bucket of rocks. I believe she is dumber than the Dubya.......if that's possible. I can see why the Right Wingers like her.

Tom Montgomery
09-25-2008, 06:22 PM
She is STUNNINGLY out of her depth.

Vince Brennan
09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Well, I, for one, AM frightened of Sarah Palin.

I'm frightened of her incredibly narrow view of the world, the economy (clueless), moral issues (my way or the highway) and the thought of her being one heartbeat away from the Presidency is enough to keep me awake at night.

How McCain (or, more likely, his handlers) ever could have thought that she would survive the spotlight of public scrutiny is totally beyond me.

Rick, Milo and Col. Bob can defend her as much as they wish, but her own actions and responses damn her far more forcefully than any vituperative that the Democrats could ever invent.

Those interviews are pathetic. I feel bad for her, stuck out on the floor and in the glare and not having the faintest idea of how to do the "Political Shuffle". If this were "Dancing With The Stars", she'd have been eliminated on the first night's voting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg6hF0nShQ is one of the interview parts and the rest can be easily found on YouTube.

I'm sorry, guys. I know you really feel that a Democratic win will be destructive to your way of life, but we simply cannot afford to have people like this in positions of authority.

After the loss to Obama/Biden, I'll bet she gets a pass on the next gubernatorial election in Alaska as well.

Damn shame. 'Way outta her depth here.

I've recently begun to wonder if she wasn't selected just so the Republicans can mount a "lost cause" campaign for the next election... "If we hadn't picked that (insert pejorative description here) of a running mate for McCain, he would have walked away with the election!"

Hmmmm?

carioca1232001
09-25-2008, 07:31 PM
'Palin is gorgeous', he is reported as saying:

http://broadband.indiatimes.com/toishowvideo/3527793.cms

Lew Barrett
09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
An awkward moment for both, no doubt. I wonder what prompted that comment, inappropriate enough to cause your toes to curl!

There will be many more such moments surrounding the Governor.

carioca1232001
09-25-2008, 08:08 PM
An awkward moment for both, no doubt. I wonder what prompted that comment, inappropriate enough to cause your toes to curl!

There will be many more such moments surrounding the Governor.

Zardari wouldn´t dare to seem as fresh in Pakistan.

Perhaps he is a bit like the Saudis of yesteryear, who (allegedly) would start hitting the bottle once airborne on a foreign carrier, a safe distance away from fundie society ?

Perhaps, again, he doesn´t have any class - no matter how much money he has - if one could be extravagant enough to compare him to his father-in-law Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto or the generals (excepting Zia) that preceeded him (Zulfi).

Memphis Mike
09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
It's no wonder McCain is trying to dodge the debates. This woman is not capable of debating anyone, much less occupying the desk of Vice President of the United States and possibly the President?

Phil Heffernan
09-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Oh my gosh, is it possible to be more disconcerted with reality? Sarah Palin has been the best thing imaginable for the McCain ticket! The base is on fire and women from all walks of life except "code pink" and the screeching NOW crowd are going wild. The combination of Obama being stupid enough to bypass Hillary and the Maverick's grand slam home run choice of Palin has made this a genuine horse-race in a year when the democrats should win by at least 15 points!!!

What you smokin' boy? :rolleyes:

PH

Joe Dupere
09-26-2008, 05:50 AM
Oh my gosh, is it possible to be more disconcerted with reality? Sarah Palin has been the best thing imaginable for the McCain ticket! The base is on fire and women from all walks of life except "code pink" and the screeching NOW crowd are going wild. The combination of Obama being stupid enough to bypass Hillary and the Maverick's grand slam home run choice of Palin has made this a genuine horse-race in a year when the democrats should win by at least 15 points!!!.

Palindrone...

Joe, FPoP

Sue H.
09-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Oh yeah - the baseball symbolism and the "Maverick" lingo makes us all forget what it really is. Please, dose us with more of your peppy RW atta boy talk Lil Riki. Are you GW in drag?

Milo Christensen
09-26-2008, 07:26 AM
. . . Rick, Milo and Col. Bob can defend her as much as they wish. . . .
. . . Hmmmm?

I deeply regret my initial enthusiasm. This morning I am deeply regretting my membership in the human race.

Cogito ergo doleo

PatCox
09-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Kathleen Parker, conservative columnist, writing in the Conservative National Review, says Palin has been so patheticly hopeless in the interviews that she should bow out, give up, go away:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDZiMDhjYTU1NmI5Y2MwZjg2MWNiMWMyYTUxZDkwNTE=

Yeah, we're terrified, thats the ticket. Keep thinking that, Rick-Mi.

Keith Wilson
09-26-2008, 09:35 AM
This morning I am deeply regretting my membership in the human race.Ah, don't worry about it too much Milo. I do the same every time I check out at the supermarket and look at the covers of the magazines. The world has been going to hell for as long as I remember, and as long as we can read about in the history books, and we're still here.

I have a cartoon on the wall at home, an episode of For Better or Worse, where vandals have broken up John's outdoor model railroad, he's lying in bed with Elly discussing rebuilding it, and says, "Guys who build stuff have had trouble with vandals every since the days of the cave men" She looks wry and says, "What does that say about evolution?" He replies, "The builders are winning."

johnw
09-26-2008, 02:13 PM
We've got to get Peggy Noonan to talk to live mics when she things they aren't on more often. She spotted the problem long before most of us.

"it's over..."

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/peggy-noonan-un.html

Rigadog
09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Reminds me of this faamous performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII

I hear this woman is in line for Secretary of State if McLame gets the job.

Rigadog
09-26-2008, 04:05 PM
As a woman from shanghai once said, "Rickmee". Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee Rickmee!!!!

Bob Cleek
09-26-2008, 05:26 PM
"The Left is terrified of this woman."

I am too. I fear those American voters who tip the scales one way or the other are just as stupid as she is, if not more so. These are the people who elected Dubya... twice! You think they know the difference between "smart" and "cute?" The Founding Fathers never intended that EVERYBODY would have a say in electing the President... hell, Washington never even ran opposed. The first contested election was between Jefferson and Adams. Only land-owning, educated, free white males were allowed to vote. That pretty much eliminated all the National Enquirer and People Magazine readers, who, as the "swing vote" in today's elections, really end up deciding who's going to be President. McCain's handlers aren't necessarily stupid. Just willing to do what they think it takes to win.

Lew Barrett
09-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Zardari wouldn´t dare to seem as fresh in Pakistan.

Perhaps he is a bit like the Saudis of yesteryear, who (allegedly) would start hitting the bottle once airborne on a foreign carrier, a safe distance away from fundie society ?

Perhaps, again, he doesn´t have any class - no matter how much money he has - if one could be extravagant enough to compare him to his father-in-law Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto or the generals (excepting Zia) that preceeded him (Zulfi).

No question, he was way out of line. She doesn't even blink or bat an eye, takes it all in stride, toothy smile the whole way.

So the question arises; does she get that this is an insulting form of patronization, or not? My wife suggests from looking that she enjoyed the flattery. I think either it went over her head, or she's an incredible actress and never missed a beat. Maybe she liked being called gorgeous on the international stage and thought it was a compliment. We'll never know.

Regarding being frightened by Palin; you bet. Very afraid. She herself is comical, but the consequences of her selection as potential VP is not funny. As has been repeated over and over, I'm not of her stealing the election, rather of the consequences of such an illiterate in power. I'll be amongst those who admit that I don't have a crystal ball on this one. One can but hope that we don't get to see Sarah Palin on the world stage for the next four years. Nobody will be laughing then.

Duncan Gibbs
09-26-2008, 06:17 PM
I deeply regret my initial enthusiasm. This morning I am deeply regretting my membership in the human race.

Milo, It's what I was saying all along: Ever since Palin took the job. Rather than unite the base she's scrambled it. The end result is that good people like youself are turned off and had the main fuse blown so the dang switch won't work any more. Is the McPalin ticket maverick, Christian right, moderate, hawkish? What, exactly, is it's story?? A pit-bull's/dog's breakfast, that's what!!

Cogito ergo doleo

Thinking is good Milo, just not that kind of thinking. Again, what I've been saying all along is that the reason Obama is popular is that he encourages thought: Like the feeling you get after walking away from a really good and engaged conversation. He's not the Blue Messiah, but rather a chap who likes to exercise his brain and has the ability to get others to do the same. There will always be some - like Abby and Rick - who are so rabidly anti-intellectual - they will always react to such overtures to the grey matter will almost visceral hostility and un-reason.

But you are not like that mate! Take comfort in your ability to reason.

johnw
09-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Thinking conservatives have a problem with her. It has nothing to do with the base.