PDA

View Full Version : This Sucks

Joe (SoCal)
09-24-2008, 06:14 PM
7:11 PM and its dark on the Hudson.

The season is ending, and I have been stuck behind a desk most days till 5-5:30 occasionally 6:00. By the time I get home with traffic its 6:30 -7:00 PM :(

Gone are the days of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZJdcg6JMA

:(

Memphis Mike
09-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Get you a motorcycle. You can ride one of those after dark.:D

TimH
09-24-2008, 06:25 PM
gonna get worse before it gets better.

hansp77
09-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Hey! it's been a long dark winter down here. This absolutely does not suck.:p
The sky is blue today, the air is crisp, the sun is like a great white irradiating lamp shining straight through our absent ozone layer- and my skin is already burned from yesterdays picket fence painting. Summer is arriving baby!:D And I have a day off:cool:

Saltiguy
09-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Florida! I'm on the water, every day, year round. Haven't worn long pants in 5 years.

rufustr
09-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Long pants?????
Who wears long pants?????

capt jake
09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Heck, it will start getting dark here at about 430 PM before long. I just can't wait! :)

skuthorp
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
"Summer is arriving baby! And I have a day off"

Me to tomorrow, nice and windy from the north, 24C, good sailing weather so I will getout tomorrow!
No complaints re winter though, heaps of snow and the best skiing in years!
Sorry Joe.

TimH
09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Summer is arriving baby!:D And I have a day off:cool:

Got an extra room? :)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Yeaaaaahhhhhhhh...sigh... I worked hard all summer, and didn't get near enough sailing or power time.... Big boat comes out on Oct 3rd... a touch early, but hey, I ain't gonna have time to use it any more this year. Winter sucks.

hansp77
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
No complaints re winter though, heaps of snow and the best skiing in years!

I didn't see the white stuff this year- definitely didn't help. Even when I do see the white stuff my my buggered knees don't let me do too much in it.:(

Got an extra room? :)
Briefly yes- ;) and then in a few months we are out on our asses into the worst rental market I have ever seen. We might end up living off the boat for a while- hey it will be summer after all.:cool:

Concordia...41
09-24-2008, 07:04 PM
We were just out on a little boat - last or next to last race of the season. It depends on how we did. We had such a commanding lead, if we finished ahead of our competition, we don't have to even go out for the last race. :D

But tonight was a little breezy :eek: Right now it's blowing 24 with gusts to 33 and we were on a 21'. :D Brought a new guy (5th man) along for ballast. He said he didn't know what to do and the other four of us just said "Hang on."

Two left bleeding. I've got one purple forearm and from the ache in my shins, they're probably some shade between gray and purple. I need to look at my back though. One of the early tacks sent me down through the companion way so I just rotated through the tack and heaved my fat ass back out. :rolleyes: Unfortunately my spine raked over the genoa car in my path. :(

Ow.

Sailing is fun.

Now that wasn't necessarily fun, more like exhilarating in between expletives. :rolleyes:

Katherine
09-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I go to the office in the dark and soon I will be leaving it in the dark too.:rolleyes:

Wayne Jeffers
09-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I go to the office in the dark and soon I will be leaving it in the dark too.:rolleyes:

I remember that from the time I lived in Chicago. I hated that more than I hated the sub-zero temps and high winds.

And in the summer it didn't get dark until after 10:00pm and it was getting light again by 4:00 am.

Wayne

John B
09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Its the pits , I haven't been sailing for weeks. Summers a coming though, and the boat is like a loaded gun.. just ready to set off anytime....
Next race is late october, 120 miles on the coastal classic ,yehaw.

hokiefan
09-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Try the come in late and then leave early to make up for it plan.:D

Nahhh, that doesn't work for me either.

Cheers,

Bobby

Rigadog
09-24-2008, 08:40 PM
:( Seems like this shorter day thing happens every year :(

Keith Wilson
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Ancient Music
Ezra Pound

Winter is icummen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm.
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.

Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham.
Freezeth river, turneth liver,
Damn you, sing: Goddamm.

Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am, Goddamm,
So 'gainst the winter's balm.

Sing goddamm, damm, sing Goddamm.
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMN.

boylesboats
09-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow Joe, it almost that time to haul Tidbit in, isn't it?

BTW, when did ya came back?

Phil Heffernan
09-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Last year I had a GREAT winter. Know why? Because I was OUT IN IT!

Harden up people! Get the right clothes, and use layers. Pray for snow and go SKIING:D or snowshoeing or skating or whatever you do, just DO IT outdoors:cool:

The indoors, dark in the morning-dark at night, can't wait till April school of thought is why you all HATE Winter :p

As they say, if you can't beat it, Join it ;) Oh and did I mention, GET THE RIGHT CLOTHES

PH

boylesboats
09-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Phil,
I ain't even ready for winter yet :eek:
I am still hangin' with the ol' sun til dusk..

Phil Heffernan
09-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Phil,
I ain't even ready for winter yet :eek:
I am still hangin' with the ol' sun til dusk..

Hey me neither;) I'm just psyching myself up:cool:

PH

BrianW
09-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Spent the day on Beaufort, helping researchers with a whale survey...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BrianW/North%20Slope%20Summer%202008/IMG_4655small.jpg

hokiefan
09-24-2008, 11:44 PM
....while sweating buckets in 95 degree temperatures and 95% humidity. The best day of my life recently was the day we finally sold my mother's house in West Palm Beach and moved her to Massachusetts... and I'll NEVER have to go back to Florida (except to visit my father's grave... and I'm thinking about transplanting him!)

To each his own. I like the heat. I'll admit my yard is almost fully shaded, makes a huge difference. I also don't go inside to cool off, if I did I'd never go back out in it. Cool off in the shade outside with a water bottle, can take 3-5 water bottles to cut the grass. Last weekend was cool, 82 degF, only needed one towards the end. And thats only because I was hurrying to get back in to see the end of the VT/UNC game. We won, yeah!!!!

Cheers,

Bobby

Phil Heffernan
09-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Hey Brian

Can I come up to Alaska and work for you? ;)

You have the best gig on the forum, from what I can see...Adventure, on the water, in boats...What's not to like? :D

PH

brad9798
09-24-2008, 11:48 PM
YES!

The corporate world does suck, no? ;)

Seriously, though, the days are way too short now.

Yeadon
09-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Phil Heffernan for the win.

I gotta get me some skis.

doorstop
09-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Summer is just about here....YOU BLOODY LITTLE BEAUTY!!!!!

I know it is because I have spent the last three days putting the local cray boats back in for the season. Season starts next Wednesday and they are all of a rush to splash their boats.

If I get a free day next week I will ride the Kwaka to Mount Gambier to renew my pot license and maybe next week I will unearth my ugly little boat and get her ready for my daily forays out into Rivoli bay for a cray or two myself.

AAAAAH Summer..... bliss!

Duncan Gibbs
09-25-2008, 03:40 AM
Hey Corporate Cubical Dude! I knowz whar ya comin from!! 5 weeks into the new job and I'm rat-arsed by the end the day. Precious little time to work on the Pippin and the wind is a really good constant NE. Times like this I want to snap my fingers and see the Pippin magically finished and on trailer.

Dreeeeeeam
dream
dream
dream
dreeeam
Dreeeeeeam

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Yesterday it didn't rain, we had no rain on the 2nd of August either.

Mrleft8
09-25-2008, 04:28 AM
2 words Joe...... "Panther Vision" :D

Wild Dingo
09-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Summer?? What summer?? what friggin spring for that matter!! Bloody rain rain and more friggin rain!! A pox on the cold wet miserable weather some mad wakker called winter!! Got a nice 1C yesty morning at 5am just in time for me to get up :mad: Dont recall ever being sooooo friggin cold! Shyte! ice on the car for gods sake and it was under the carport!! Colder than a nuns tit!

God I loathe winter... seems to be dragging its friggin feet this year :rolleyes:

Still luckier than most... still no snow in good ol West Aussie that Im aware off and damned if I want to know if it is here cause by god then I will KNOW its bloody cold

But rain?? strewth just that dark overcast mongrel sky no sign of the sun just a dim glimmer of lighter color that makes it day time and drizzling mongrel rain just enough to slowly and steadily soak the heck outta everything! gak I hate winter

Yeah yeah farmers need the rain yarda yarda but I AINT A FLAMIN FARMER!! I dont need nor want rain... what I need and want is HEAT!! mmmm did anyone mention roadtrip??? come on someone mention it!!!

Anyway in for some more wonderful cold wet miserable weather tomorrow... great... yeah got me a wog of monumental proportions :mad: sore throat snottin nose runny eyes headache every friggin joint aching hot and cold at the same time coughin like anything... miserable sodding mongrel weather!!

aahh tuffen up princess soon be summer an then watch the smile on me dial!! :D

TomF
09-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Yesterday it didn't rain, we had no rain on the 2nd of August either.Provoked a literal LOL.

Noah
09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Last Wednesday night beer can race last night - got a 3rd in 4 knot winds which is pretty impressive considering the weight of my boat.

I plan to get in another good month of sailing - the best sails are the last few.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I was wrong - apparently it was the Fourth of August.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/august.html

Very unsettled with heavy rain or showers for much of the month. It was also an exceptionally dull month.

willmarsh3
09-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Sailing under a full moon works well. Say in about two weeks... before it starts getting cold.

Russ Manheimer
09-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Joe,

As I've offered before, Sjogin can provide delightful off-season sailing.

Come on down.

Russ

TimH
09-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Hey Brian

Can I come up to Alaska and work for you? ;)

You have the best gig on the forum, from what I can see...Adventure, on the water, in boats...What's not to like? :D

PH

6 months of darkness?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-25-2008, 10:21 AM
6 months of darkness?

Come come - Sitka is about 57 north - about the same as Glasgow, and while it may lack the culture, it should get the same amount of sunshine.

carlg
09-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Went for a nice long row this afternoon. Temperature in the high 70's and the lake was like glass. Not another boat on the lake. Just enjoying the warm autumn days in Michigan. Wont last long, though.

BrianW
09-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Come come - Sitka is about 57 north - about the same as Glasgow, and while it may lack the culture, it should get the same amount of sunshine.

Actually that picture was taken around 70 22.00 north, which is where I work. Sitka is where I live.

We were in Glasgow once to catch a plane, and it was pouring. :)

C. Ross
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm thinking one of these might take the edge off January....

http://bluenose.cps-ecp.org/tales/iceboat2.jpg

Phil Heffernan
09-25-2008, 11:22 PM
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout;)

PH

TimH
09-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Went for a nice long row this afternoon. Temperature in the high 70's and the lake was like glass. Not another boat on the lake. Just enjoying the warm autumn days in Michigan. Wont last long, though.

rub it in. I wish I was in Michigan right now.

Shang
09-25-2008, 11:28 PM
7:11 PM and its dark on the Hudson.

The season is ending, and I have been stuck behind a desk most days till 5-5:30 occasionally 6:00. By the time I get home with traffic its 6:30 -7:00 PM :(

Gone are the days of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZJdcg6JMA

:(

Hey, Joe...
That's the way the world turns.
I might have retired five years ago but for the ways of fate.
Now, as the economy goes majestically down the toilet I'm happy to have a job at all...

David Tabor (sailordave)
09-26-2008, 08:59 PM
As my late F-i-L used to say... "It's hell to be poor and have to work for a living!":rolleyes:

Then again, given the current state of the economy if you have a job I guess you can't complain too much!

Even taking a HUGE hit in my investments this year I still am fortunate enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel and know I'll be retiring in not too many years!!!! :D

But, I do have to admit, you're right. This sucks. I mean, last week was GORGEOUS and I was lucky enough to get 3 days of sailing in.:)