PDA

View Full Version : Will Obama debate himself?

johngsandusky
09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
McCain says he's not going, Obama says he is. Will one of them blink? Or will this be a debate of one? If Obama goes on alone, will it be a long campaign ad, a big success, or just silly?
I seem to remember this happened once, a one man debate, (not in a presidential race) and it came off as self-agrandizement.

Tom Montgomery
09-24-2008, 05:00 PM
McCain will show up.

StevenBauer
09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Why doesn't Sarah fill in for him?

Steven

seanz
09-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Washington won't miss a couple of senators for the evening, they can have the debate and still do their day job.
Jokes aside.....McCain takes a big risk with this tactic. What if he postpones the debate to take care of business and business gets worse?

John of Phoenix
09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
What's going to happen in Washington will happen without him anyway so why not in Mississippi too?

He's going to get creamed in that debate whether he shows up or not.

MiddleAgesMan
09-24-2008, 05:24 PM
.McCain takes a big risk with this tactic. What if he postpones the debate to take care of business and business gets worse?

It's a desperation tactic. He was hoping Obama would sign on but I don't think--and I hope--Obama doesn't fall for it.

Barney Frank has suggested in no uncertain terms that McCain's presence (and posturing) could be the death knell for any agreement.

Imagine that! McCain gets directly involved and kills the deal and the market tanks... :( Yeah, that would give him another point in his game of counting coup. ;)

John of Phoenix
09-24-2008, 05:30 PM
McCain gets directly involved and kills the deal and the market tanks...
He said he didn't know squat about economics. Now he wants to prove it.

Scott Rosen
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
If McCain doesn't show up, I think Obama wins by default. He doesn't have to say a word.

johnw
09-24-2008, 05:54 PM
McCain will be there. I wonder if they'd carry Obama debating an empty chair?

Mrleft8
09-24-2008, 06:02 PM
McCain will be there. I wonder if they'd carry Obama debating an empty chair?
That'll happen in any case.....At this point McCain couldn't debate his way out of a wet paper bag.

Wayne Jeffers
09-24-2008, 06:58 PM
. . . Barney Frank has suggested in no uncertain terms that McCain's presence (and posturing) could be the death knell for any agreement. . . .

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said McCain's move was "the longest 'Hail Mary' in the history of either football or Marys.'' The chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, which was holding a hearing on the bailout, added "I'm not particularly focused on Senator McCain. I guess if I wanted expertise there [from the GOP ticket], I'd ask Sarah Palin."

:D

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/24/mccain_suspending_campaign_ask.html

Wayne

skuthorp
09-24-2008, 07:51 PM
If McCain doesn't show they could declare a dead rubber and Obama could take the audience to the local for a jar or two. Probably do him some good, though I'd say he should stay on the waggon himself.

Rigadog
09-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Wouldn't that technically make him a "masdebater"? Ha, Ha!

Maybe it would be a good time to bring out all the third party folks and let them have a go.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
If McCain doesn't show they could declare a dead rubber and Obama could take the audience to the local for a jar or two. Probably do him some good, though I'd say he should stay on the waggon himself.

He's been known to do just that, according to his English BIL.:)

botebum
09-24-2008, 09:37 PM
McFeeble will be there. Anything else is suicide.

Doug

johngsandusky
09-26-2008, 06:52 AM
We'll find out tonight.
I do think it was a big gamble. If no deal is made, McCain will suffer. If a deal is made, he benefits substantially. Obama's response was pretty good, but "if they need me, they'll call" is something no leader should ever say in a crisis. If Obama didn't think McCain had gained on him, he wouldn't have made surprise appearances on all the evening news shows(Fox included).
Those of you who pretend that McCain can't debate Obama are delusional. McCain has had two presidential primary campaigns, did very well in those debates. He's done plenty of debating in the senate. He asked for ten debates. The Obama campaign feared that, agreed to only three, all moderated by liberals. If Obama is so great on his feet, why do they make him bring his teleprompter on the road? More of a salesman than a leader. Great with a script.

StevenBauer
09-26-2008, 06:57 AM
It was McCain with the Teleprompter at the Whitehouse yesterday.

Nicholas Scheuer
09-26-2008, 07:10 AM
I used to have a High-Maintenance drama Queen for a girlfriend.

After that experience I sure wouldn't want a POTUS like McCain.

I just jeard Frank say on the News that McCain doesn't have any role in The Bailout negotianions and the only reason NcCain couldn't go to the debate was "if he didn't want to".

IMoby Nick

Hot Air
09-26-2008, 07:19 AM
Frank? The same guy that had a Gay prostitution ring being run from his Washington house and who used to fix his lover's parking tickets? Another great leader of our nation.

johnw
09-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Frank? The same guy that had a Gay prostitution ring being run from his Washington house and who used to fix his lover's parking tickets? Another great leader of our nation.

Thank you for your deep insight into the financial crisis.

Keith Wilson
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
but "if they need me, they'll call" is something no leader should ever say in a crisis.Obama isn't the leader yet, just the Senator from Illinois. The election isn't until November.

However, nobody should discount McCain's abilities in a debate. He's no fool; he's been in politics a long time, and he knows his stuff. He's very good in the "town hall meeting" format, and actually answers the questions much of the time rather than dancing around them.

Lew Barrett
09-26-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree with Keith on this. Whatever their qualifications to actually run the country, both of these guys are capable of a very clean cut. The right should be just as wary as the left of calling any outcome before it's time, though.

It is however a temptation that can't be resisted to point out that the very premise of this thread was DOA on posting and that the most prescient and cogent response was Tom's post #2. Who could have doubted it in the end, or the beginning for that matter? Clear as a bell to anyone watching, and the motivation to engage us in a guessing game about the outcome is probably the most interesting question raised by the thread.

Could move the discussion here without skipping a beat:

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85912