PDA

View Full Version : Changing cat's name....

paladin
09-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I've always referred to the kat as "Crab Bait"......but she's getting too brave now, sitting at the bottom of the stairs and "meowing" at 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. 'cause she wants fed on time....lately she's been emulating dawg and sits next to my chair at the dinner table and begging for extras.....especially salmon but of course any seafood....
How about changing her name to "Mooch"......between the two each is afraid that the other will get a little bit more, or one will get their head rubbed and back scratched a little more than the other.

TimH
09-24-2008, 03:27 PM
isnt it bad luck to change a cats name?

Tylerdurden
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I cannot repeat my cats name.:eek:

capt jake
09-24-2008, 03:44 PM
One of my cats has several names, depending upon how weird she is. ;)

weirdo
Phyco Kitty
Twitty cat
PITA :)

Hughman
09-24-2008, 04:10 PM
First, one must "un-name" a cat. This is accomplished by shaving the cat completely. this removes all traces of the cat's identity, even from the cat's point of reference. The new name is pronounced to the four winds, and smoke from the sacred pipe is blown into the cat's nostrils. When the pelt is grown back sufficient to determine the color of the coat, the cat is allowed to back in the house to eat, because by then, your wounds will have begun to heal.

TimH
09-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Lol :)

rufustr
09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Just be pleased the cat lets you live in its house.
Cats need to have servants.

ishmael
09-24-2008, 04:28 PM
"isnt it bad luck to change a cats name?"

Um, oh never mind. :)

Cats are fun characters. The trick, seems to me, is just letting them do whatever they want within a few boundaries. If they're smart they learn what those are easily. During the summer months this one wants out really early, but she's learned how grumpy I am a 4:30 AM and has stopped nudging me. I don't think it's because she really cares about my opinion, she just doesn't like being shoved out of bed.:)

Beautiful critters. Living with one is inviting a bit of the wild in.

Another One
09-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Seems to me that I heard a story about a cat with several different names that "worked" the neighborhood. "Rosie" got put out in the morning on one end of the street, and "Spot" got put out at night on the other end, and "Tiger" just always showed up in middle of the block around lunch time for a snack and a scratch. The cat (singular) had absolutely no problem with this . . . :)

switters
09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
First, one must "un-name" a cat. This is accomplished by shaving the cat completely. this removes all traces of the cat's identity, even from the cat's point of reference. The new name is pronounced to the four winds, and smoke from the sacred pipe is blown into the cat's nostrils. When the pelt is grown back sufficient to determine the color of the coat, the cat is allowed to back in the house to eat, because by then, your wounds will have begun to heal.
:D
I'm keeping this, pure brilliance.

paladin
09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
There's a "love seat" in the living room, enough for two people, and a sofa for three or four, and a recliner. The TV is set up but I only watch a couple of programs for one hour each....the rest of the week I have a 6 foot pile of CD's.....
When I came home after the car accident, I sat at the love seat because it was comfortable....dawg would lay next to me...when I get up dawg would move to where I was sitting and curl up...she now considers that her place...
Then we were adopted by kat....she would hide under the piano stool but hop up next to me after I moved to the sofa.....now she claims that part as hers. When I go down at night for some crackers/snack I stick my head in and there she is, all curled up....but yes Norm...she likes freshly cooked chikkin' as does dawg....and today at lunch I made a hamburger...she begged for some of that and surprisingly took it to eat.....I think both will be on the landing between floors tomorrow.....it's cleaning lady day and every three months I have the carpets cleaned....and they don't like the noise from the machines..
and Hugh.....I liked that...gonna have to tell that one to my granddaughter....as she wants to change her cats name.....I suggested Pyewacket but it was turned down.

ishmael
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
"Seems to me that I heard a story about a cat with several different names that "worked" the neighborhood. "Rosie" got put out in the morning on one end of the street, and "Spot" got put out at night on the other end, and "Tiger" just always showed up in middle of the block around lunch time for a snack and a scratch. The cat (singular) had absolutely no problem with this . . ."

They are survivors! I'll often look at 'wumpous and think if the crap really hit the spinner she'd have a much better shot at it than I would. "Well I can drink muddy water and sleep in a hollow log.":)

It's part, for those who like them, of their attraction. When I pulled into the drive this evening she came to have a look see. She'll usually takes the invitation to come in the rolled down window. Cautious, wide wild eyes. Even though we have a copacetic relationship I see nature without much restraint in those eyes.

Spin_Drift
09-24-2008, 05:08 PM
I've always referred to the kat as "Crab Bait"......but she's getting too brave now, sitting at the bottom of the stairs and "meowing" at 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. 'cause she wants fed on time....lately she's been emulating dawg and sits next to my chair at the dinner table and begging for extras.....especially salmon but of course any seafood....
How about changing her name to "Mooch"......between the two each is afraid that the other will get a little bit more, or one will get their head rubbed and back scratched a little more than the other.

LOL... If you call her Mooch, what will you call the dawg?:p:)

paladin
09-24-2008, 05:12 PM
dunno call the dawg nothin....I just whistle and she comes.......

Swiftlady
09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Let's see - reporting in with

ASTRAS, Matriarch of the Cat Clan. Magnificent long haired silky imperious commander of all. Name derives from Latin for Star.

CARIAD part Siamese, dark tortie. Name is Welsh for darling, dearest. She was very wild as badly treated kitten so wouldn't allow any contact - the name was a magical invocation of more trust. After 4 years has decided in favour of cuddles.

RHIANE Cariad's baby sister, so also part Siamese She decided for cudlkes very quickly. But timid, and after years of clumsiness and total lack of social skills we think a tad wrong with wiring.
Impossibly elegant sleek black.

MORGAINA Long legged grey/ gold tabby, dog devoted to me and my feet but not a cuddler. Big strong resembles Abyssinian. A teenager just settling down from fighting the world.
Name links to our house - means sea lady, healer.

SOFIA part Siberian (from Russia) Big, shaggy, shiny black, heavy legs, a walking yoga mistress of peace and laid back strength. Deeply loving to captain John.
Named for the Wisdom aspect of the Divine.

BOUDICCA Sofia's daughter, huge, looks like a wild forest cat but is completely sweet though none messes with her. Also acquired John.
Named for the warrior queen of the iceni.

SENUA Baby sister of Boudicca, daughter of Sofia. Chunky soft black with affectionate but demonic character however young yet. Sigh more of my things on the floor and CLAWS!
Named for a newly discovered Celtic Goddess of healing; shrine excavated only 3 years ago, similar to the Sulis shrine in Bath.

Hwyl!

John of Phoenix
09-24-2008, 05:43 PM
You change the cat's name and she'll change the locks on the doors.

Katherine
09-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Gizmo = Gissy or Gissy Wiz
Sultan = Sully or Sr. Pukes-a-lot
Karmel = Karm or Karmal Cat

Vince Brennan
09-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Hugh! I'm shocked! You forgot to unship the cat's tail, replace the coins in the socket and reship the tail after dousing the new coins and socket with some rum. Be sure you fit the wedges well to keep the tail upright and remember the libational offerings to Poseidon!

S B
09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Have you asked the cat what it's name is? You may have been wrong all along.

Bill Lowe
09-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Are senior cat Saki is named after the rice wine we were making at the time he is king of the roost and Spookie well she has trouble with the spaces between the porch decking and then the threshold after a few pases jumps over it then looks back to see if its chasing her, does fine once fully inside or outside.

Vince Brennan
09-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Are senior cat Saki is named after the rice wine we were making at the time he is king of the roost and Spookie well she has trouble with the spaces between the porch decking and then the threshold after a few pases jumps over it then looks back to see if its chasing her, does fine once fully inside or outside.

Punctuation, sweetheart, punctuation.

I'm no expert at it but it does make posts more readable: effort counts.

(edit) I'm sorry, I missed that there was a comma! (/edit)

Also, "Are" or "Our"?

Yeadon
09-25-2008, 01:20 AM
any idea what the kat named you?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
09-25-2008, 02:24 AM
We are owned by a black and white cat - called Ilford - and a black/brown/white dawg - called Fuji.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/DougReid/LoomCat.jpg

A previous cat had a passion for prawns and especially prawns in chinese food and was known by turns as "Radar" and "Ya Theivin' Bar Steward".

Robbie 2
09-25-2008, 02:37 AM
Grey and white Female, the 1st female we have had,it definitely has a mind of it's own compared to the male cats we have had in the past.
"Shady Lady"

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-25-2008, 04:50 AM
We have a dim witted, but affectionate, eight year old Siamese. Her favourite activites are sleeping, mousing, begging at table and, above all, squeezing into, and hiding in, cupboards or behind furniture.

We have lost her pedigree and forgotten the name on it.

To my sons and I, she is known as "Squeak".

To my wife, she is "wherethehellisthatbloodycat".

She responds to both.

Concordia...41
09-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Back when I first got Puddin, she had a habit of getting right under Dave's feet when he had an armload of stuff. Hence the name "Youstupidlittlebastard" :eek:

Last year when I hurt my back, it was hard to lean over and pet her, so when I did get bent over or squatted down and she immediately stepped just out of reach of my hand her name became "Iain'tchasingyourass." :rolleyes:

Rigadog
09-25-2008, 07:20 AM
It's okay to change a cat's name. Just don't try to switch them from left paw to right. Really messes them up.

capt jake
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok, Ok, I have decided to re-name my big male cat.
Fat Cat is now called Wall Street. He seems to like it, but he is now demanding more treats. :)

Bob Roncace
09-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Based on my own experience with a cat as a "pet," I can reasonably assure you that you can call the cat whatever you want and the cat won't care... Just be sure to keep that food coming! :D

ChrisF
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
It does not matter what you call the cat; the cat will never tell its True Name.

The cat who lives with me is Pumpkin to my daughter and Crash to me (always crashing into the furniture or crashed out on the couch), but his True Name is grand and mellifluous and forever secret.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover -
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

TS Eliot (but you knew that!):)

TimH
09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
We call our cat Yeti because he has 6 toes on each foot.

TimH
09-26-2008, 03:10 PM
yeti

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/hoehnt/Yeti019.jpg

Spin_Drift
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
yeti

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/hoehnt/Yeti019.jpg

Yeti is a beautiful cat... I've had those "Snowshoe" cats in Alaska. They look so cute with all those toes.....

Spin_Drift
09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Maybe none of you have thought of this, but it only goes to say a cat must have nine names. :eek:

Why?

Because cats have nine lives, so each of them has to have a name...;):D