PDA

View Full Version : Salmon for everyone

ron ll
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
My office window looks out on the ship canal right outside the locks where for the last couple of weeks the gilnetters have had nets draped on both sides of the channel (sometimes drastically narrowing the navigable channel). Its hard to get my work done because there is so much going on out there. Sealions are rolling, breeching, and feasting on salmon. (They look like they are laughing, but its hard to tell with sealions). The fisherman are staying with their nets trying to get the salmon out of them before the sealions get them. And tugs and barges and ships and yachts are trying to thread their way between the nets.

In the last hour, the Seattle Police boat pulled up to the gilnetters and had a lengthy chat. Of course I can't hear them, but I'm guessing it had something to do with restricting navigation. Then again it may not have, because after the lengthy chat, the fisherman loaded four nice large salmon onto the police boat (which coincidently has a crew of four). The policemen smiled and waved to the fishermen as they motored away.

Salmon for everyone! :D:D (Just hope a couple of the salmon make it thru to spawn.)

Yeadon
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Classy. Must've been a shake-down cruise for the boys in blue.

John of Phoenix
09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
"A salmon in every pot."

Catchy, don't you think?

ron ll
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Interesting. Just now a Coast Guard big orange RIB pulled up to the same fishermen and had a much shorter chat. There were also four crewmen in the RIB but they left without any fish and now the fishermen are moving their net. :D

The sealions are having a ball. The blast out of the water with a salmon in their mouth and shake it violently with fish parts and water flying everywhere. The seagulls are descending enmass to get the salmon parts that the sealions are shaking loose. Altho I can't see them, I assume the crab on the bottom are also dining well on the scraps that sink.

Salmon for everyone....except the Coasties :D

TimH
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
And i thought the WBF was a big distraction. I look outside and all I see are trees :)