PDA

View Full Version : What I did/didn't do in Bar Harbor

Dale R. Hamilton
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
First what didn't happen. No visit to the Hinckley yard. The woman who answered the phone said NO VISITORS- boat builders notwithstanding. I could go to the company store (big deal) but no access to the buildings or boats. Something about insurance- so be warned- these guys are not friendly to builders.

However- I was welcomed at the Ellis yards and the Wilbur Lee yards and given a personal tour. Lots of good boat talk and came home with a few ideas too. These are the good guys- encourage you to go when you are in BH.

Also went to WB publications and school in Brooklin. I met Matt Murphy, our esteemed editor and Aaron Porter of Pro Boat Builder. Both very interesting men- I hated to end our conversation, but I was unannounced and it was the middle of their work day.

I visited the school, and even from the parking lot I could hear the drone of a dozen palm sanders going at once. It sounded like a giant beehive. But I guess I can sand on my own boats- and I don't have to pay for the privelige.

Finally several live lobster meals at the Trenton Bridge lobster company. 2 plus pounders- Well worth the visit and the price.

Dale

MiddleAgesMan
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Did you have any trouble keeping those buggers on your plate long enough to eat them? ;)

bamamick
09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Did you make it to the Port in the Storm bookshop? One of my favorite spots, right at the head of Somes Sound in Somesville by the footbridge.

You didn't happen to walk the trail to Shipwreck Harbor did you? Probably my favorite place in the world (away from home). Dang it. I know that you asked for advice, but there is so much to think about when folks do that. About the ten best trips of my life have been to Acadia. I'd head up there this minute if my wife and I could just find the time.

I am very glad that you had some nice times.

Mickey Lake

botebum
09-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a great time! And nary a whisper of guns or politics? WOW!:eek: I wanna go!

Doug

paladin
09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Now I gotta tell ya....I would go back just for the lobster....I think I did, three or four times.....them was good critters...