PDA

View Full Version : What is Coelan deck paint?

Peter Sibley
07-16-2001, 07:10 AM
I've been rereading the recent contributions to my thread on laid decks.ACB mentioned Coelan deck paint.....what is it?I've never heard of it.Is it a paint as per norm or something unusual?

ACB
07-16-2001, 09:45 AM
It is a flussigkunststoffe.

The website is www.coelan.de (http://www.coelan.de) , it is all in German, which I don't speak, but autotranslation tells me that its makers make pourable plastics for the reconstruction of buildings. A Google search will also show up the name of their UK dealer, http://www.aqua-marine.co.uk , which is in English.

Whilst the States has clear penetrating epoxy, we in Europe have Coelan, because so far as I know they lack a US dealer.

Now, what I think it is is a very flexible moisture curing polyurethane which adheres extremely well to wood provided the makers instructions are followed. Curiously they do produce an excellent application handbook in English with copious reference to application to new and old decks. I put it on Mirelle's decks five years ago and it is still absolutely fine. And NO deck leaks! Magic! It is expensive stuff, though.

Bob Cleek
07-16-2001, 02:19 PM
It's a very ancient formulation which was believed extinct for millions of years. Then, back in the 1930's, a coelancanth, a very oily fish from which the paint was believed to be made, was hauled up in a deep trawl net off South Africa. A few coelancanths have been caught since and a small amount of the paint has been made for experimental purposes, but it remains unavailable to the general public.

mmd
07-16-2001, 02:46 PM
Bob, your bull***t is matched only by your bravado! (lol) We all know that it is a product of Middle Ages Celtic tribesmen and was originally applied to Aeolian pipes which formed the frames of St. Brendan's skin boat in which he discovered America!

Peter Sibley
07-17-2001, 03:23 AM
Thanks ACB,what life have you got out of an application so far?( Are you in the tropics?)From what I could derive from the German and UK websites (my German is bad high school level)its a clear smooth finish,is it safe to work on when wet ?

Peter Sibley
07-17-2001, 03:31 AM
Sorry ACB, I know you said 5 years but is that without recoating?It's just that with UV exposure 5 years seems an amazing life for any clear product.

ACB
07-20-2001, 04:24 PM
Peter and anyone else reading this - I painted over it with common or garden deck paint, for the two reasons you give - it is like a skating rink when wet and UV protection. The makers say you can use it like a varnish but I don't - for the same reason - UV. I use varnish for varnish!

The stuff under the deck paint seems to be doing fine after 5 years...

JimConlin
07-20-2001, 09:21 PM
Bob C-
Isn't it the traditional dressing for gronicles?