PDA

View Full Version : When to paint - Winter or Spring

gimmellsmom
09-09-2008, 03:49 PM
We've recently aquired a lovely H28 and will be doing our first winterization (Lake Ontario area). Would painting in the fall - in preparation for a potentially harsh winter be better or spring to see how she held over the cold?
Thank you in advance!

oakman
09-17-2008, 06:31 AM
I would paint in the spring after the hard freeze of the winter.

Oakman

Scott Rosen
09-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Paint in the spring.

gimmellsmom
09-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the advice, one less thing to worry about next month!

FSS172
09-17-2008, 09:27 AM
One thought though (and sorry in advance if you're already aware of this): if you have any areas where the paint is missing, loose, flaking, or blistered those should be scraped or sanded to bare wood, allowed to dry if it's damp under there, and spot primed before winter. If you do have damp wood under the paint you'll want to find out why and correct that condition.

outofthenorm
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Welcome Gimmellsmom. FS is right. If there is anything bare or peeling, throw on a coat of primer or suitable sealer. Otherwise, Spring is best. Of course, you'll make sure she's well covered up for the winter won't you? Is this the H28 that was for sale at Ash Bridges? I'm at Bluffers Park.

- Norm

Jay Greer
09-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Welcome it is nice to have another H28 owner with our group! The main consideration is to keep the wood free of accumulated water during lay up. I usually do my painting in the spring.
Jay

jclays
09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Anytime if your in So California.

Gary E
09-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Your in the Lake Ontario area and that should be like every area I have lived, WET..Spring has always been WET...April showers bring Mayflowers etc... and Winter is always hard on paint. Fall is the best time to paint because the days are dry, and not so hot, makes the work go easier and protects for the coming winter.

gimmellsmom
09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Yes, we were the H28 at abyc. My aunt is down at bluffers, really nice - but too far for us durham folks, her new home is WYC. We will definitely scrape & prime any trouble spots; we can only hope for a dry winter & spring after all the rain this summer.
Thank you for all the advice - there will be more dumb questions to follow no doubt!