PDA

View Full Version : what happened to record?

scepticus
03-15-2004, 09:09 AM
I was doing a little shopping on line yesterday. Looking for spare irons for my planes mostly. Anyhow, turns out that Record planes are no longer available in the US. I ran across one mention that Rubbermaid now owns Record and that it's somehow their fault.

The difficulty finding what I wanted just made me want it more urgently. I eventually found a site in England that I ordered from. Between the price being listed in pounds and the confusion about the VAT and stuff, I have no idea what I actually paid for this stuff yet. I'll find out when I get the credit card bill.

Bob Smalser
03-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Highland hardware carries a complete line of Stanley plane parts that'll likely fit Record...ask them.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/

And these replacement irons are better than the originals:

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm

I believe Stanley still sells plane parts, too...somebody posted a link to that while back I didn't save.

[ 03-15-2004, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Bob Smalser ]

Bruce Hooke
03-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Yup, I'll second Bob's recommendation on Hock plane irons. Cancel that order from England if you can and put the money into high-quality replacement irons purchased on this side of the pond. Heck, what with the shipping cost it might even be cheaper to order the Hock irons.

Bruce Taylor
03-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Lee Valley carries Record planes.

http://www.leevalley.com/

Dave Fleming
03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Record of England is no more.

Irwin division of Rubbermaid bought the Marples/Record company and recently shut it down.

Factory and machinery are either coming up for auction or already auctioned off.

Rumor has it that the line will be ***outsourced*** to you know where, sigh.

Bruce Taylor
03-15-2004, 01:16 PM
:(

scepticus
03-15-2004, 01:21 PM
I checked with Highland, they said the stanley iron won't fit (this is the 60 1/2 low angle block) and they can't get record anymore, and no they don't have any left in stock.

I'm sure the hock irons are lovely, but if I'd wanted to put that much into my planes, I wouldn't have the planes I have. Perhaps one day, I'll upgrade.

I see that Lee Valley is in Canada. Apparently, it's only the US that doesn't get Record any more.

I noticed a couple other things in the past year or so that appear related... Quick-Grip clamps turned blue and now say Irwin on them. And Marples bench chisels have appeared on the shelf at Homer's big orange store.

Nicholas Carey
03-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Never mind the planes...Record vises aren't available any more. :(

Evidently Irwin/Rubbermaid plans to take over the DIY tool market in big box stores with lower quality stuff tagged with the Marples/Record name, so the US is SOL.

Bruce Hooke
03-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Ah, I didn't realize that you were dealing with a low angle block plane. That does make things a little tricker.

I have a rather different take on the hock irons. My experience is that by replacing the stock Record or Stanley iron with a Hock iron and otherwise tuning up the plane you can have a plane that works pretty near as well as a much more expensive plane. Of course if you are perfectly happy with the way the plane works with a Record iron then there's no reason to get the more expensive iron UNLESS it will cost you just as much to get a Record iron shipped in from the UK.

reddog
03-15-2004, 03:29 PM
scepticus;
Try this site.Lee Valley still has the Record planes and bench vices listed,but did mention that the company had been bought by Irwin/Rubbermaid.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=41230&category=1,41182,41189&ccurrency=1&SID=
I'm sure it'll be cheaper 'n buying from England.
Rubbermaid,go figgure! :rolleyes:
Earl

ChuckG
03-15-2004, 03:37 PM
:( Did you notice the Lee Valley prices are about $20-$30 higher than their recent catalog list prices?
Get 'em while they last ...

cg

Bob Smalser
03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Record vises aren't available any more. No....but the Jet copies are even better than the later Record vises.

For the cost of shipping a blade from England, I bet you can find used blades on Ebay that'll fit. How wide is the blade and what serrations are present for adjustment? I may even have one in my parts box that'll fit or can be made to fit.

I put this together as a kid from parts off of three broken planes and a mouth I fabricated myself....looks a little squirrelly, but it remains my only block plane because it works just fine.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/2594266/48396786.jpg

Bruce Taylor
03-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Bob, Record block plane blades are 1 5/8" wide (as compared to Stanley's 1 3/8").

Chuck, I think you're looking at the price in Canadian dollars.

Jamie Hascall
03-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Just after Record became part of the Cooper tools group, I bought a small machinists vise for my small drill press. I've cursed the danged thing from the day I bought it and have threatened to send it back to Record ever since because the jaws are so sloppily done. Now it looks like it's too late. Nobody would have given a spit anyway. One of these days I guess I'll just have to spend some real money for a better vise and probably for a better drill press to go with it.

(Those grapes were probably sour anyway...) ;)

Ron Williamson
03-16-2004, 06:05 AM
I bought a pair of Record 6" quick release machinist vises pretty cheap from LV.I think they're pretty nice.
R