PDA

View Full Version : Newt Skewers LW MSNBC Reporter on Palin

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGhy8LVwAo

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Yep, Newt was prepared for that question.

Peggy Noonan has got it right.

Gonzalo
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Peggy Noonan has got it right. I'll bite: what has she got right?

Dan McCosh
09-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Lessee, Ms. Palin was mayor of a city only slightly larger than my high school. She is governor of a state about the same size as the city of Denver. Time to take on the world.

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Gonzalo: Noonan was on MSNBC this morning saying that the Palin choice is a HUGE risk. It could turn into BIG boost.... and it could just as easily turn into a BIG bust.

What no one in the know is challenging is the fact that this was a hasty choice by McCain without a thorough vetting process. The Republicans are keeping their fingers crossed. There is a lot of fear out there among Republicans.

LeeG
09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Good ol' Newt, did he get religion too?

Phillip Allen
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Lessee, Ms. Palin was mayor of a city only slightly larger than my high school. She is governor of a state about the same size as the city of Denver. Time to take on the world.

maybe being Mayor of Chicago is a better qualification...what do ya say?

of course not...bigger is always less transparent...the size of her town is not very important at all...but you knew that

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
So Phillip, your comfortable with Palin as president? She's ready to fix the economy, get Putin out of Georgia, find bin Laden, all that kinda stuff?

Phillip Allen
09-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I hope she's ready to WORK on the economy...don't care about getting Putin outa (beyond expressing our view of it) Georgia...Laden is dead...

TomF
09-03-2008, 12:12 PM
...the size of her town is not very important at all...but you knew thatDisagree.

At a couple of points in my career, my job's involved working with Ministers and Deputy Ministers from the Federal government and all Canadian provinces.

While the people can be of the same quality from big or little places, the type of experience and the viewpoint that result from working in a tiny place or a large one are very different. Not always transferrable learning.

Osborne Russell
09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
I realize simply asking the question reveals me as a traitor, but -- what experience does Ms. Palin have of the world outside the US?

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 12:15 PM
When you stop and consider all the choices Johnny Mac had for VP.... the Palin choice seems stunning.

I get a big kick out of all the Repugnicans at the Convention telling reporters that Palin was the best choice McCain could have made. LOL!

"I should've picked Jindal... I should've picked Jindal..."

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Sarah Pindal was not the best choice available even if Johnny Mac was determined to choose a woman.

GOP Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison was on TV this morning gamely defending Johnny Mac's pick and praising Governor Pindal. But then she was asked; "Senator Hutchison... in all your years in politics and involvement in the Republican Party... have you ever met Sarah Palin?"

"Well... no..." said Hutchison, casting her eyes down to the floor. I actually felt sorry for her. She has far better credentials to be on that ticket than Gov. Palin.

Of course... Hutchison is a bit "soft" on the abortion issue. The GOP in 2008 is run by the ideologues.

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 12:38 PM
When you stop and consider all the choices Johnny Mac had for VP.... the Palin choice seems stunning.

I get a big kick out of all the Repugnicans at the Convention telling reporters that Palin was the best choice McCain could have made. LOL!

Your side had it's chance and bypassed a woman more qualified and more popular in the swing states than Obama. Instead he went with a 30 year Washington insider. Conservatives are thrilled with Palin as the GOP is the party prepared to break the glass ceiling. After four years under McCain she could easily be ready to be the first woman president.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
She may not have to wait four years the way McDubya's brain is going.

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 12:44 PM
She may not have to wait four years the way McDubya's brain is going.

I applaud your service to our country, but seriously wonder what happened somewhere along the way.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Agent Orange probably. I got over the bullet wound pretty quickly.

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Blah, blah, blah, Hillary, blah, blah, blah...Yeah. We all know you've got a thing for Hillary Clinton.

John McCain's age, health and mental agility will be at issue... especially since he decided to pick a green, inexperienced, young VP.

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Agent Orange probably. I got over the bullet wound pretty quickly.

In all seriousness words can't express my gratitude for your service. A past associate of mine in our same industry was a chopper pilot in Vietnam. Not on offense though, his job was picking up wounded soldiers. As with many other tasks over there, it was a nasty job with a mighty short life expectancy. As I'm sure is the case with you, he survived many close calls and was lucky enough to only leave a finger (and part of his soul) behind.

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
In all seriousness words can't express my gratitude for your service.

So long as you do not run for public office as a Democrat. Never forget what they did to Max Cleland and John Kerry.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Disagree.

At a couple of points in my career, my job's involved working with Ministers and Deputy Ministers from the Federal government and all Canadian provinces.

While the people can be of the same quality from big or little places, the type of experience and the viewpoint that result from working in a tiny place or a large one are very different. Not always transferrable learning.

Damn Tom...do I have to start naming names...starting with our founding fathers???...?

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
So long as you do not run for public office as a Democrat. Never forget what they did to Max Cleland and John Kerry.
He took care of that already -

...but seriously wonder what happened somewhere along the way.

paladin
09-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Screw them all...
Screw them all....
the long and the short and the tall.....
F&^%$# old man Lockheed for building this jet...
I know some guys who are cussing him yet.....

and so on......

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Instead he went with a 30 year Washington insider. My goodness!

When McCain serves in Congress continuously for 26 years, it's immensely valuable experience. When Biden serves in the Senate for 36 years, he's a "Washington insider", which is bad.

When Obama runs for president after being in the Illinois Senate for eight years, and the US Senate for four, he's dangerously inexperienced. When Palin runs for VP after being Mayor of Wasilla, AK, population 7000, for six years, and Alaska governor for under two years, she's an admirably qualified candidate.

Am I missing something here? Does this make any sense at all??

Phillip Allen
09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
You're right about that Keith...I never believed this experience vs. inexperience B.S. anyway

our founding fathers weren't experienced at all...

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 03:55 PM
After cheney and rummy, I've decided that experience is highly over rated.

Dan McCosh
09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I like the idea that answering a question skewers the reporter.

Phillip Allen
09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I like the idea that answering a question skewers the reporter.

Dan...reporters LIVE for the chance to trip up someone, you know that

PatCox
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
If there is anyone likely to be harpooned by japanese whalers in a case of mistaken identity, its Newt. He likes to spout through his blowhole, too, so you can't blame them.

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
John Teetsel

In spite of petty politics, now in the world can an ex combat pilot vote for a wet behind the ears, South Chicago liberal who like others around him, secretly loathes the military? Do you really want someone that an unrepentent terrorist started in politics for commander in chief???

Compare this to a seasoned vet who has paid all his dues and has already proven by action to march to his own drummer. Not only that, you must know something about the impact of tax increases on capital formation and the incentive for investment. Do you think it would be good for the country and yourself to double the tax on stock held for one year or longer? I simply can't believe you would support Obama over McCain :confused:

Lew Barrett
09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Speaking of Newt, how is the former Speaker doing since he was found unsuitable for the job? Has there been anything since that has demonstrated his integrity as having been improved?

Lew Barrett
09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Get used to it, and he isn't the only one. I love the guys who think the Reps have the hammer hold on service.

And decency.

Nicholas Scheuer
09-03-2008, 04:18 PM
"What has Obama done? besides talk, and write two books?"

Just writing off the top of my head, without reference to either of those books (in the same room right now) let me try.

Got elected to the Illinois Senate.

Got elected to the US Senate from Illinois. ((both of the above without selling his soul to people like Mayor daley or Gov. Rod Blagoyevich)

Appears to have a healthy marriage to a ton of WOMAN. (Newt has failed in this department)

Has helped raise two daughters, ages 10 and 7, who can assume a National stage with grace and poise. (anyone who thinks that is easy is a fool)

Got a job teaching Constitutional Law at the University Of Chicago, one of the World's leading universities.

Was elected to be editor of the Harvard Law Review.

Got a great job on Wall Street. (plenty of people have said he could have had his pick over a lifetime career)

Got a job as a Community Organizer in Chicago, and the people who he was working for still sing his praises. (go ahead, tell us that is an easy job to succeed at)

Somehow Impressed Valerie Jarrett along the way. (She is a distinguished leading woman power broker in Chicago exhibiting a ton of talent extending over a considerable number of years)

Directed an outstanding campaign for his US Senate seat.

Directed an even more outstanding Campaign for the Democratic Nominee for President Of The United States.

Is now directing an outstanding Campaign for the Presidency, a campaign almost anyone would say is utterly free of the rancor and tawdryness evident in most of the campaigns of others.

Knows how to play basketball well, either on the palygrounds of Chicago, or the gym at the Capital.

Newt Gingrich should take lessons, so that before the end of his life he might amount to something more than a smarmey politician.

Moby Nick

Nicholas Scheuer
09-03-2008, 04:19 PM
How could I forget!

He also wrote two best-selling books. (that ain't easy either)

MN

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
My goodness!

When McCain serves in Congress continuously for 26 years, it's immensely valuable experience. When Biden serves in the Senate for 36 years, he's a "Washington insider", which is bad.

When Obama runs for president after being in the Illinois Senate for eight years, and the US Senate for four, he's dangerously inexperienced. When Palin runs for VP after being Mayor of Wasilla, AK, population 7000, for six years, and Alaska governor for under two years, she's an admirably qualified candidate.

You are missing a whole lot. First of all, in case it escaped your notice Obama has run on "change" since day one. Since when is picking a career politician for a running mate change from the status quo?

Not only that, you have candidates on the ticket mixed up. Gross lack of any form of executive experience resides on the TOP of the democrat offering. We are 270 electoral votes away from a total nube holding the most powerful job in the world. John McCain, like Joe Biden has stood the test of time and both have experience to back them up. But, there is a huge difference between voting for the back up option vs the person who stands to be president.

Finally, even though Sarah Palin is the last resort fill in to the president, she has more executive experience than Obama who the democrats made the big mistake of electing in the primary. Any criticism of her lack of qualifications is magnified when the democrats examine their own offering. Newt really laid it out well and stopped the negative reporter cold in his tracks looking for a place to hide. I'm surprised you are having such difficulty understanding the issue here.....

Donn
09-03-2008, 04:23 PM
My goodness!

Well, maybe "experience" should refer to our experience with them.

Start with the fact that Congress is just about the only entity in the US with a lower favorability rating than Dubya.

Then look at the single thing political punditry thinks Americans most desire...CHANGE.

Joe Biden has voted with the Democrat Party 96.6% of the time.

Barack Obama is close behind (when he votes) at 96%.

John McCain votes with the Republican Party 88% of the time.

Sarah Palin doesn't vote in the Senate, of course, but you must admit she's different from The Three Senators.

If America wants CHANGE, which ticket give them the greater chance of obtaining it?

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Donn, you know better than that. First, my point was about logic in the arguments; when exactly the same data is used as both positive and negative, depending if it's "our" side or "theirs". Second, this is an election for president and VP. Which candidate's proposed policies represent change from the polices of the past eight years?

And please use the correct name; the Democratic party, not the "Democrat" party

Sorry Rick, not worth the trouble. Never mind. I understand the issue very well.

Donn
09-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Obviously, McCain/Palin's proposed policies represent a greater chance for change from the status quo. A senator who does not blindly follow the party line and a female Washington outsider, versus two senators who only follow the party line.

And please use the correct name; the Democratic party, not the "Democrat" party

I'll consider it, when I see you get in the face of members who refer to Republicans as Rips or Repugnicans.

ccmanuals
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I realize simply asking the question reveals me as a traitor, but -- what experience does Ms. Palin have of the world outside the US?

I think she went to Vancouver a couple of times on vacation. :D

Bob Smalser
09-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Biden's a vet in case you haven't noticed.

Wrong. That's Biden's son. Biden is a fellow hero of the Cheney-Rove club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_biden

Biden received five student draft deferments during this period, with the first coming in late 1963 and the last in early 1968, at the peak of the Vietnam War.[7] In April 1968, he was reclassified by the Selective Service System as not available for service due to having had asthma as a teenager.[7]

Biden's image has other veracity problems, too.

August 31, 2008
Joe Biden's Mythical Blue-Collar Roots
By Steve Chapman

Joe Biden once got in trouble for plagiarizing a speech and inflating his academic record. So it will not surprise you to find that his famous working-class background turns out to be mythical. But it may surprise you to learn that Biden isn't the one who has trouble with the facts.

In his Wednesday night speech at the Democratic convention, Biden referred to "those of us who grew up in middle-class neighborhoods like Scranton and Wilmington." In the video preceding his address, he said that the people he knew as a boy didn't regard themselves as working class but as middle class.

So what did the news media report? "Sen. Joseph R. Biden accepted the vice presidential nomination of the Democratic Party with a speech that harkened back to his working-class roots in Scranton," said The Washington Post. The Wall Street Journal informed readers that "Sen. Joe Biden showcased his working-class upbringing." The New York Times said he "spoke frequently, and earnestly, of his blue-collar background."

No, he didn't. In fact, he did just the opposite. Anyone paying attention would have noticed as much. But the legend of Joe Biden, born in a welding shop, dies hard with political reporters, who find it easier to romanticize a gritty, hardscrabble childhood than a conventionally comfortable one.

The facts are there for anyone who wants to look at them. When Joe Biden Sr. died in 2002, his obituary in the News-Journal of Wilmington reported that when he married in 1941, "he was working as a sales representative for Amoco Oil Co. in Harrisburg."

It went on, "Biden also was an executive in a Boston-based company that supplied waterproof sealant for U.S. merchant marine ships built during World War II. After the war, he co-owned an airport and crop-dusting service on Long Island." Upon moving his family to Delaware, the News-Journal said, Biden "worked in the state first as a sales manager for auto dealerships and later in real-estate condominium sales."

Executive, co-owner and manager? Those titles identify the jobholder as solidly middle class, if not better. They fall in the category of white-collar occupations, not blue-collar.

And Biden Sr. clearly knew the difference. In his book, "Promises to Keep," Biden writes that his father was "the most elegantly dressed, perfectly manicured, perfectly tailored car sales manager Wilmington, Del., had ever seen."

Biden notes that he himself could have gone to the best public high school in Delaware. Instead, he enrolled at Archmere Academy, a Catholic prep school that made him think he had "died and gone to Yale." He took a summer job to help pay the steep tuition, which today amounts to $18,450 a year.

That doesn't mean the Bidens never had financial trouble. Biden says they had to move in with his mother's parents after one setback, and he remembers "when the electric company would send a collector to the house."

For nearly a year, the father was reduced to cleaning boilers for a heating company. But middle-class people are not immune to unemployment and bad business deals, and the Bidens regained their footing before long.

So where did he get his working-class reputation? Partly it comes from Biden's streetwise demeanor and his preoccupation with the fact that his family wasn't as well-off as some of the people he knew -- which seems to have given him a permanent chip on his shoulder. Partly it comes from his frequent tributes to blue-collar folks, such as the firefighters who took him to the hospital when he suffered an aneurysm.

But mostly it reflects journalists' weakness for simple, vivid narratives. It's easy to write about a statesman who worked his way up from a log cabin. It's easy to write about a leader who came from great wealth. But someone growing up the son of a sales manager is a bit lacking in color and drama.

The errors about Biden bring to mind the recent satirical report from humorist Andy Borowitz: "A member of the U.S. Olympic diving team was disqualified from competition today when it was learned that he did not have a sufficiently compelling human story line to exploit on the NBC telecast of the worldwide sporting event."

Biden just didn't have a sufficiently compelling human story line for a presidential campaign. Luckily, he does now.
schapman@tribune.com

Copyright 2008, Creators Syndicate Inc.

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Obviously, McCain/Palin's proposed policies represent a greater chance for change from the status quo. What an extraordinary statement. In that case, please tell me how McCain's proposed policies differ from those of Mr. Bush. I've been asking that question for weeks now, and no one has yet attempted an answer; perhaps you can do it.

Rick's logic is impeccable: if his preferred candidate has a certain characteristic, it's a good thing. If the opposing candidate has the same characteristic, it's a bad thing. And there is absolutely no difference in the necessary qualifications for president and VP. The VP doesn't do anything significant unless he or she has to take over for the president.

gary porter
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
My goodness!

Sounds good to me, whats your problem? what don't you understand?
gary.....:)

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
John Teetsel

In spite of petty politics, now in the world can an ex combat pilot vote for a wet behind the ears, South Chicago liberal who like others around him, secretly loathes the military? Do you really want someone that an unrepentent terrorist started in politics for commander in chief???

Compare this to a seasoned vet who has paid all his dues and has already proven by action to march to his own drummer. Not only that, you must know something about the impact of tax increases on capital formation and the incentive for investment. Do you think it would be good for the country and yourself to double the tax on stock held for one year or longer? I simply can't believe you would support Obama over McCain :confused:

I despise bush and everything heís done to this great country. McCain is more of the same. The Maverick thing was great while it lasted but it's gone. Loooong gone. The man has been bought and paid for dozens of times over. Just like bush.

As to taxes, McCain, Greenspan and dozens of others have said bush's tax cuts are folly. Because of those tax cuts were in debt up to our eyeballs and our currency is trash. We're borrowing trillions from China to buy foreign oil, much of it from people bush/cheney would love to invade. McCain wants to put us further in debt with more tax cuts, stay in Iraq and perhaps invade Iran.

Another thing - I don't want Palin's religion thrust into my life. I don't want it in research labs or hospitals or courts or anywhere it forces her superstitions on my values.

I havenít even scratched the surface but I'm ready for change and McCain isn't it.

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 05:22 PM
. . . who like others around him, secretly loathes the military? Do you really want someone that an unrepentent terrorist started in politics for commander in chief??? Is this intended to be a parody? How can we possibly take this seriously?

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 05:25 PM
A senator who does not blindly follow the party line....

Surely you are joking. Not in this decade.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, really. It's hard to post a serious reply to some of this stuff.

Donn
09-03-2008, 05:35 PM
What an extraordinary statement. In that case, please tell me how McCain's proposed policies differ from those of Mr. Bush. I've been asking that question for weeks now, and no one has yet attempted an answer; perhaps you can do it.

I shouldn't have to point this out, but Bush's policies are only a part of the status quo of our government. The President's policies have proven to be rather inconsequential in the face of a flagrantly partisan Congress. Liberals like Obama and Biden have led the effort to hamstring effective government at every turn. That's why Congress is so unpopular. They are each and both far more partisan than McCain and Palin. The last thing we need is a more partisan government.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 05:38 PM
For six years dubya had a republican house and senate. We should have had nirvana.

WHAT HAPPENED?

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Sheesh. How much more compliant could a Congress be? They were so obstructionist that Dubya was forced to use his veto HOW MANY TIMES?

Nicholas Scheuer
09-03-2008, 05:39 PM
The extreem partisanship you lament, Donn was begun by your party.

The neanderthals who support Bush also support his veto, and threat of veto of anything Congress wants to do differently from his program.

Moby Nick

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Donn, once again, please tell me how McCain's proposed policies differ from those of Mr. Bush.

Donn
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
For six years dubya had a republican house and senate. We should have had nirvana.

WHAT HAPPENED?

The same thing that has happened since he lost the "Republican" house and senate - nothing. Congress has majored in doing nothing for a lot longer than Bush's time in office. Of The Three Senators running for executive office, McCain is the least partisan. How is that so difficult to understand? Obama and Biden are statistically 10% more apt to put their party above their country.

Lew Barrett
09-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I stand corrected on Biden. And, as always, I'm willing to acknowledge error, which seems a tough pill for some here.

There will be plenty of vets voting for the Democratic ticket, and Reps hold no exclusive on service. Frankly, I find service history no prerequisite for holding office, myself, although -Mi's comments indicate the usual knee jerk response.

The rest of the C&P about Biden is reportage of the kind the author infers he would like to rise above himself. The whole piece is a speculative "who cares." You suppose Biden's life is more a lie than Bush's "Mission Accomplished" appearance in flight suit, or that the Biden family experience is less familiar to folks than the wealth your candidate married into when he divorced his first wife and married Cindy Hensley?

Thanks for the correction.

Donn
09-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Donn, once again, please tell me how McCain's proposed policies differ from those of Mr. Bush.

You are really dense, Keith. You should have noticed by now that I'm not in the least bit concerned about policy differences between Bush and McCain. McCain isn't running against Bush, he's running against Obama. The important issue is the differences between McCain's policies (and ideologies) and Obama's.

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
McCain has been, at times in the past, admirably independent. That's why I like him, and why I think he's the best person there Republicans could reasonably have nominated. Unfortunately, it appears he's forgotten that lately, and the choice of Ms Palin reinforces that impression.
I'm not in the least bit concerned about policy differences between Bush and McCain.You're not, but an awful lot of the voters are not pleased with the performance of Mr. Bush. You have claimed that McCain is the candidate that really represents change, not Obama. OK, fine; show me why. How do McCain's proposed policies differ from those of Mr. Bush?

And please try to discuss the subject without insults. I can write nasty things about you too, but that and $3.60 will get you a gallon of gas.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Of The Three Senators running for executive office, McCain is the least partisan. How is that so difficult to understand?
It's difficult because it's not true.
It was at some time in the distant past, but not in the last four years.

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 05:59 PM
I get it. We are talking to one of the 28%

Stay the course. Four more years.

I'm not in the least bit concerned about policy differences between Bush and McCain.... The important issue is the differences between McCain's policies (and ideologies) and Obama's.And I am praying that this is the line the Republicans adopt in the general election campaign. With 80% of the country thinking we are on the wrong track, I hope that McCain proudly identifies himself with the glorious policies of the Bush Whitehouse and the Republican Party.

Cuyahoga Chuck
09-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Sounds good to me, whats your problem? what don't you understand?
gary.....:)

Less than two years ago Sarah Palin was the mayor of a town with only 6000 people. Today we are told she is ready to be the vice-president and possibly the president of the United States. I can't imagine many folks are ready to buy that bridge. But if the Republicans think they can sell it they have a right to try.

johngsandusky
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Obama's lengthy list of accomplishments seems to consist mostly of running campaigns and winning. Does he do anything in office? (Other than vote "present") I kind of thought that we elected people for results. I'm glad to know that simply being elected, and spending campaign money, counts as executive experience.
He does speak well, though. Maybe he can sell snake oil.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I get it. We are talking to one of the 28%

Stay the course. Four more years.
More like "Two More John Roberts".

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Ummm... speaking of not showing up for Senate votes... check out Johnny Mac's Senate record over the past 12 months.

If "executive experience" is so important, then Sarah Palin should be at the top of the GOP ticket. I don't recall that Johnny Mac has been a Mayor or Governor lately.

Lew Barrett
09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
How is that so difficult to understand? Obama and Biden are statistically 10% more apt to put their party above their country.

If that is true, and voting the party line means putting party loyalties first, McCain will only make the wrong decision 85% of the time. What a useless statistic without much more information. It is from the outset an observation without merit or value unless the votes themselves are reviewed piecemeal.

McCain has fallen in line with the big carrot of power placed before him. And that's no surprise. They all do. It's really a question of "what's the line." So, what's the line?

Donn
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
More like "Two More John Roberts".

Bingo!

Keith, I don't consider calling you dense to be an insult. It's a simple fact of life. You are so blinded by your hatred of Bush you're willing to replace him with anything breathing, including a completely inexperienced radical leftwinger like Obama and a proven career Washington insider like Biden.

One last thing...and this is something that has bothered me since I began arguing with you. Let me be very clear on this; you are not a moderator of this forum, and you are in no position to dictate to me how to discuss, or what to discuss. If you don't like the way I discuss an issue, you have the option of bowing out...and that is your only option.

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
You are so blinded by your hatred of Bush you're willing to replace him with anything breathing, including a completely inexperienced radical leftwinger like Obama and a proven career Washington insider like Biden.Oh, please . . this sentence has so many errors I hardly know where to begin. I don't hate Bush; I kind of feel sorry for him, since he so obviously in WAY over his head. I strongly disagree with many of the decisions he's made, and I think he's done a tremendous amount of harm to our county, but that's not the same thing. I am not willing to replace him with anything breathing; Pat Buchanan would be worse, for example, as would Mike Huckabee, Rudy Giuliani, or Ron Paul. I think McCain would be a considerable improvement. Calling Obama a "radical leftwinger" is simply absurd in any normal use of the English language. Leon Trotsky he isn't. "Proven career insider" applies equally to John McCain, and is therefore not a sincere criticism.

One last thing. . . Let me be very clear on this; you are not a moderator of this forum, and you are in no position to dictate to me what I can write here. If you don't like the way I react to what you post, you have many options - you can take my suggestion, you can ignore it, you can complain about it, you can write more insults, or you can go away, but the one thing you CANNOT do is tell me what I can say. You're free to act like a jerk if you wish, but I will continue to call you on it. If you don't like it, tough. If you want me to stop, then you can change your behavior.

Donn
09-03-2008, 06:36 PM
You got it, Keith. Discuss things with your leftwing buddies. I'm out of your conversations.

Keith Wilson
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Godspeed.

Donn
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm not going anywhere, Keith. I'm just going to ignore any questions, rebuttals or other comms you send my way, as I do with so many of your ilk. If you prefer to discuss issues with people of like mind, you're certainly in the right place, but it seems awfully limiting. Sorta like choir practice.

John of Phoenix
09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I just love it when they create their own reality like that. Instant bubble.

Donn
09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
One's own reality is reality. Are you any different?

Rigadog
09-03-2008, 06:57 PM
'But she turned me into a Newt!!!"

Attribution: Monty Python

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm not going anywhere, Keith. I'm just going to ignore any questions, rebuttals or other comms you send my way, as I do with so many of your ilk. If you prefer to discuss issues with people of like mind, you're certainly in the right place, but it seems awfully limiting. Sorta like choir practice.

Donn, you prevailed on several fronts. It's just that liberals are so used to taking a beating when it comes to reality they become immune to the effects and just keep going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Rick. I needed that.

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/slap_mark_back.jpg

Rick-Mi
09-03-2008, 07:40 PM
You can be funny Tom.....

Donn
09-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Frankly, I find service history no prerequisite for holding office, myself, although -Mi's comments indicate the usual knee jerk response.

Of course you don't. That's the position of the left today, particularly since your ticket has none. It was a bit different when it was about Cheney, though, wasn't it? Maybe not for you personally, Lew, but certainly for your party.

jbelow
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Sheesh. How much more compliant could a Congress be? They were so obstructionist that Dubya was forced to use his veto HOW MANY TIMES?

Bush is compliant. I see that as Bushs greatest weakness. He compromises with the left too much. He could increase offshore drilling by executive order.

Tom Montgomery
09-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, except his brother was against it as Governor of Florida.

Lew Barrett
09-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Of course you don't. That's the position of the left today, particularly since your ticket has none. It was a bit different when it was about Cheney, though, wasn't it? Maybe not for you personally, Lew, but certainly for your party.

Cheney isn't a disgrace because he wasn't in service, but because his abuse of power is disgraceful.

Lord knows I'm not here to offer up Reagan, but your team loves him. Making B movies about war was as close as he ever got to the service. Regardless, military experience is not a prerequisite for making good decisions in my view. But perhaps I picked a poor example to illustrate my point. I simply selected one I thought you might have a fondness for. Likewise, Lincoln a Republican that you and I might agree upon , probably had better judgement than 90% of the generals in his employ.

I'll suggest that military experience isn't a negative by any means, but it doesn't stand as a requirement to be a good executive. Integrity, intelligence, a grasp of history, law, morality, steady nerves and the ability to intuit what is crucial in any situation would be useful skills and abilities, I'd think. A willingness to communicate well and make reasonable compromises might be another useful set of capabilities as the job is, after all, political. Find the person with the best balance of these qualities, and you have found a man that can run the show with some hope of success.
Military service comes in so many flavors and shades that it can provide important experience in only a specified set. Nothing inherent to be said of McCain's colorful Navy history, or equally, of Obama's lack of the same.
With any luck at all, only a minute percentage of potential POTUS candidates will have had military experience in 20 years. Or at least I should think, that's one desirable outcome and future. Unless one likes the idea of drawing national leaders strictly from a professional army, as they once did in Argentina and still do today in Burma. Lovely situations, those.

Paul Fitzgerald
09-04-2008, 03:52 AM
How can Palin be any worse than Bush?

Dan McCosh
09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
maybe being Mayor of Chicago is a better qualification...what do ya say?

of course not...bigger is always less transparent...the size of her town is not very important at all...but you knew that

The town she was mayor of is about a fifth the size of the city I live in, and we have a volunteer, unpaid, part-time mayor. The city services here are excellent, FWIW. She paid herself $65,000 a year. There are more abandoned houses in Detroit than there are people in the state of Alaska. Many of the major problems of the US are concentrated in large urban areas, which is the main reason experience in small-town politics doesn't really count, in my opinion.
I also don't agree with Ms. Palin that her executive experience makes her vastly more qualified than John McCain, as she implied in her speech to the RNC.

ccmanuals
09-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Newt skewered by Jon Stewart (last night on the Daily Show) :)

jbelow
09-06-2008, 01:16 AM
"What has Obama done? besides talk, and write two books?"

Just writing off the top of my head, without reference to either of those books (in the same room right now) let me try.

Got elected to the Illinois Senate.

Got elected to the US Senate from Illinois. ((both of the above without selling his soul to people like Mayor daley or Gov. Rod Blagoyevich)

Appears to have a healthy marriage to a ton of WOMAN. (Newt has failed in this department)

Has helped raise two daughters, ages 10 and 7, who can assume a National stage with grace and poise. (anyone who thinks that is easy is a fool)

Got a job teaching Constitutional Law at the University Of Chicago, one of the World's leading universities.

Was elected to be editor of the Harvard Law Review.

Got a great job on Wall Street. (plenty of people have said he could have had his pick over a lifetime career)

Got a job as a Community Organizer in Chicago, and the people who he was working for still sing his praises. (go ahead, tell us that is an easy job to succeed at)

Somehow Impressed Valerie Jarrett along the way. (She is a distinguished leading woman power broker in Chicago exhibiting a ton of talent extending over a considerable number of years)

Directed an outstanding campaign for his US Senate seat.

Directed an even more outstanding Campaign for the Democratic Nominee for President Of The United States.

Is now directing an outstanding Campaign for the Presidency, a campaign almost anyone would say is utterly free of the rancor and tawdryness evident in most of the campaigns of others.

Knows how to play basketball well, either on the palygrounds of Chicago, or the gym at the Capital.

Newt Gingrich should take lessons, so that before the end of his life he might amount to something more than a smarmey politician.

Moby Nick

For all practical purpose , a national guard private or a volunteer fireman in small town USA has done more for his community and country.

jbelow
09-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Oh, please . . this sentence has so many errors I hardly know where to begin. I don't hate Bush; I kind of feel sorry for him, since he so obviously in WAY over his head. I strongly disagree with many of the decisions he's made, and I think he's done a tremendous amount of harm to our county, but that's not the same thing. I am not willing to replace him with anything breathing; Pat Buchanan would be worse, for example, as would Mike Huckabee, Rudy Giuliani, or Ron Paul. I think McCain would be a considerable improvement. Calling Obama a "radical leftwinger" is simply absurd in any normal use of the English language. Leon Trotsky he isn't. "Proven career insider" applies equally to John McCain, and is therefore not a sincere criticism.

One last thing. . . Let me be very clear on this; you are not a moderator of this forum, and you are in no position to dictate to me what I can write here. If you don't like the way I react to what you post, you have many options - you can take my suggestion, you can ignore it, you can complain about it, you can write more insults, or you can go away, but the one thing you CANNOT do is tell me what I can say. You're free to act like a jerk if you wish, but I will continue to call you on it. If you don't like it, tough. If you want me to stop, then you can change your behavior.

Keith , I believe you are disingenuous with your statement "I don't hate Bush". You have made it very clear that you our not a conservative.
If Obama is not a "radical leftwinger" , then what is he ?
I am afraid that the democrat party will do to the rest of America with what they have done to the majority of African Americans. When will the left learn that government welfare=solcialism=slavery. A moderate , uncorrupted , welfare system is need to help people get on their feet but not a life time sugar teet. A government that giveth can taketh away. Freedom and independence is what it is all about. Government should not block our path, instead it should promote and inspire our freedom and independence. We all deserve a square deal , nothing more and nothing less.