PDA

View Full Version : Hatch rebuild

jclays
09-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I have a hatch 36"x48" Topside is textured fiberglass the opposite side is 3/4 plywood glassed over. It is 42 years old and all the wood has dried rotted. After I removed all the wood I have a fiberglass shell that I can now cut out a new piece of 3/4" plywood to replace the old one with. How do attach the two pieces together before I fiberglass over the plywood?
Thanks in advance
Jim

Varna
09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
The situation you describe for reassembly is not real clear. It sounds like you have the top and bottom and have the new ply core panel and want a recommend for an adhesive and possibly the process to bond it back together.
If that is correct you can use several agents to bond it-epoxy/fillers, 3M5200 or similar, System3 GelMagic. I'd be sure to clean the glass bonding surfaces well with acetone or similar solvent before the glue up. If you want the ply core to last almost forever seal it well with a epoxy resin coating before you glue it up final and try to get a complete resin fill between the shells and core which will make a very strong unit.
For assembly you can use light weight clamps, duct tape, loops of cord and wedges like shim shingles, inner tube strips/wedges, strapping tape. With no clamps I'd use 1/4"nylon cordage and wood wedges and possibly strapping tape for specific spots, but obviously the tape needs a clean non-resin surface to stick to.
Sounds like it rotted because it was a fast assembled factory job with polyester-sounds like a Cal25 or Columbia etc hatch.
How's AlamitosBay these days? Beautiful as always I'm sure-I grew up on Naples Island and miss it down there still. Happy Boating in the warm water.

jclays
09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Alamitoes Bay is still wonderfull heading there to work on the boat soon.

JimConlin
09-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd use a foam like Core-Cell A-500 (5#/ft^3) instead of plywood, 'cuz it's lighter. Bond it down with a soupy epoxy-microballoon mix. Hold it down for bonding with a vacuum bag or sandbags or bricks.

Varna
09-03-2008, 12:57 AM
jclays-Such a great sailing area- the westerly coming over the peninsula at the handball courts-if they're still there- clear and consistent, A.Bay is a perfect small boat area. I grew up on AppianWay near 2nd st. and worked a Hobie Cat rental on Mothers Beach(new beach to us as kids)-that was back in'73 and allowed long evening Hobie sails after closing out in the bay. Good Luck with your project.

SchoonerRat
09-03-2008, 06:15 AM
This thread has certainly drifted off course. I'll help it along.

Alamitos Bay is a great spot. I grew up there---hell, I'm still growing up there. Some things are gone---Woodie's Goodies, Chrisman's, Ross's Landing. Others remain---ABYC, Leeway Sailing Club, LBYC, Marina Shipyard. I spent much of my life working and playing in Alamitos Bay. I've sailed everything from Sabots and R/C models to 100' schooners out of Alamitos Bay. I was even a gondoleer in Alamitos Bay.

I love thread drifts!!!

jclays
09-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Beautiful place...

jclays
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Did the job. Once I removed the old rotted plywood (42yrs old) found it infested with termites and larve. Removed all old wood and burned it in the outside firepit. Left with a fiberglass hatch shell that was recessed 3/4 inch. I layed down fiber glass mat and wetted it down with poly resin, then layed in 5/8 plywood and weighted it down until the whole thing was set. I then layed down fiberglass mat on the exposed wood surface and wetted it down also until the mat was translucent and thoroughly filled in and saturated. Everything setup and fieels like a solid deck. It should last another 42 years. Thanks for all the input.

JimD
09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Got any pics? :)

paladin
09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I just caught the bit....
wetted it down with poly resin, I really hope you meant epoxy and not polyester......

jclays
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I just caught the bit.... I really hope you meant epoxy and not polyester......

Nope... Just the regular old fashion resin. I understand that epoxy is the current technology but the old style poly still has its place. Have used the stuff making surfboards for 30 years my current boat( circa 1966) is built with it, the stuff works very well. I dont know that the poly resin is compatible with the new epoxy resins. For example making repairs to existing hand laid hull circa 1966. However I know that poly resin is. Breath easy though.. My new boat projects will employ Epoxy resin.

jclays
09-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Got any pics? :)

How do I post pictures??? Ive got a digital camera and am more than glad to take some.
Jim