PDA

View Full Version : finally looks like progress - pics of the Sea Skiff

Stargazer14
08-16-2004, 10:34 PM
After 3 years of renovation, almost every weekend, I finally finished painting today (Kirbys -very nice)and at last it looks like I am getting somewhere.
Later I will post a link to a site where progress fotos can be viewed, but in short, just about the entire starboard side of the boat was replaced - frame and laps, along with about 70% of the bottom. And of course the top, decks, rubrail, etc....

http://www.dplus.net/stargazer/boat8_16_04_.jpg

She is a 1968 Trojan Sea Skiff Bimini. Sorry about the tarp over the back of the open cabin, rain was a possibility tonite, but the classic lines of a 60's wood production boat attracted me to it and I saved it from the burn pile.
With luck, will have her in the water next weekend.
And speaking of classic lines, she looks good next to my 69 Benz, which keeps her company while I work away...

http://www.dplus.net/stargazer/benz_boat.jpg

Started this project knowing absolutely nothing about wooden boats, or any boat for that matter,
but thanks to more than a few nites on the forum, I did everything myself. I can not stress enough the value of this site. Thanks all -

Michael

High C
08-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Nice! I had an Owens of that era once, a similar look. Love it!

Stiletto
08-17-2004, 03:20 AM
Nice looking boat, you've done well!

Does the Mercedes leak around the sunroof? my friend had one and couldnt stop the leaks .( It rains a lot here.) He was sad to let it go .

Stargazer14
08-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Of course the Mercedes leaks around the sunroof - the reason you dont see many w115 bodied Benz's around is because they have rotted away, and this car will probably do the same before its diesel dies.
And the reason you dont see many '68 Trojan Sea Skiffs around is because of the same reason - rain water gets in and they rot away. The original design did not give alot of forethought to keeping out rainwater and I had to make a few changes to try to change this. I went over every inch of the topsides, making sure water was not sitting or running someplace it should not be. I removed the chrome edging where it would do more harm than the visual advantage was worth. I redesigned the edge of the top so water runs off instead of toward the sides of the cabin, etc. So the boat is not a true 'restoration', but instead a renovation with an eye towards trying to keep it original as possible yet keep it alive for as long as possible. After I get it in the water I will enjoy the float as I finish the mohogany interior, I have loved the whole project.

brad9798
08-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Good for you, Michael!

She is looking great!!!

Keep us posted- Another one 'saved.'

Brad

Alan D. Hyde
08-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Well done, Michael.

Congratulations!

And thanks for a good post.

Alan

kulas44
08-19-2004, 11:05 AM
awsome boat

Old Bear
08-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Great looking boat (and car). I like your approach - keeping an eye toward prevention. Good luck
Ed

imported_Daniel
08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Very nice! Congratulations, it would look pretty sweet towing behind that car!

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Great Job Michael. :cool:
My wooden boat mentor took 7 years to restore a 20ft. 1956 Trojan. :eek:
Thats the first lapstrake built Trojan I've seen.
She's absolutely beautiful. ;)
Congratulations! smile.gif
Looking forward to the launch photos. :D

Stargazer14
08-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks all for your comments - I didnt get many from my 'plastic' boatyard except -
"It'll never float again" and "Why bother? Buy a Donzi ! "
I myself woke up yesterday wondering why it took me 3 years to rebuild a boat that probably took a couple of guys only a week to originally put together.
I wish I could tow it behind the Benz - unfortunately it is too wide at over 10 ft. and the 220D only has 60hp -hardly enough to tow itself!

A shot of the boat from the past...

http://www.dplus.net/stargazer/trojanbimini2.jpg

Now to find a lass to stand on the bow to re-create that shot. Seems most have said for the last 3 years "Its either the boat, or me..."

...will try to get it ready to go in tomorrow.
;)

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-22-2004, 08:12 PM
"It'll never float again" and "Why bother? Buy a Donzi ! "
Snort..guffaw.. belly laughs... :D tongue.gif :D

You have TWICE the boat... You did a great Job, and it's a cool design :cool: and da dames are impressed by handy dudes :cool: :D ;)

Congratulations. You da man.(from a 1964 36' Chris Challenger owner)