PDA

View Full Version : It is the sequel to Mayor of Mooseport!

PatCassidy
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
McCain questions Obama's ability to lead. And now he pick someone who was mayor of a town of 7,500 people before becoming govenor of Alaska less than two years ago.

She would be one heartbeat away from becoming president of the United States.

Priceless!

PatCassidy
08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
As Bugs Bunny would say: "What a maroon!"

Mrleft8
08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
OOOooooooooooooooooHHH! Think of all those "disenfranchised female voters" having another choice!!! (IMHOP, anyone who votes for a candidate based on something as shallow as that deserves what they get..... But I DON'T!)

Another One
08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
OOOooooooooooooooooHHH! Think of all those "disenfranchised female voters" having another choice!!! (IMHOP, anyone who votes for a candidate based on something as shallow as that deserves what they get..... But I DON'T!)

I liked Hillary for a lot of reasons - one minor one was how she'd overcome constant accusations of being an uppity abbraisive know-it-all because she was a smart, confident woman. (I'm not sure why I'm putting all that in the past tense.) Palin seems very nice, but seems more like the type to be in charge of a church fundraising committee than to be in charge of a country. Just being one of us concave types will not be enough of itself to win us over.

Another One
08-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I just have to add: I think it's condesending crap to assume that the only reason women wanted to vote for Hillary was because of her gender. It completely dismisses her accomplishments and our ability to make discriminating decisions. I merely disapproved of the concept of McWhatsisface as president before. Now I'm mad. :mad::mad::mad:

PatCassidy
08-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I am incredulous! John McCain is going to have spend the next two months defending his VP choice.

The first question McCain will face from the press is going to be " Is Sarah Palin ready to take over from you as President of the United States?"

Next question: "What leadership qualifications does Sarah Palin have that Barack Obama lacks?"

Third question: "What qualifications as mayor of Mooseport makes Sarah Palin ready to step up as leader of the free world?"

PatCassidy
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
More questions Palin will face:

"What interactions have you ever had with minorites?"

"Will being a mother of five with an infant child impact your ability to be Vice President or President of the United States?"

PatCassidy
08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
And who is going to be toughest on Sarah Palin? Hillary Clinton - that's who! Anybody think Hillary will hand over her woman voters to a pro-life woman?

SamSam
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
The Republicans don't want to win and have to deal with the mess they've created. They're just evil, not stupid. They're just in the game for bitching rights.

Another One
08-29-2008, 11:48 AM
"Will being a mother of five with an infant child impact your ability to be Vice President or President of the United States?"

Another interesting part of the story: Palin gave birth to a baby with Downs Syndrome in April... what does it say about 'family values', that the mother of a Downs Syndrome infant would voluntarily go through the rigors of campaigning for the Vice Presidency? Who is going to care for the child?

A nanny?

Those questions shouldn't matter any more because of her being a woman than if she was a father under the same conditions.

PatCassidy
08-29-2008, 12:02 PM
The motherhood issue is a real question. It may not be fair - but it is real. The republicans have framed the last election and this one as a campaign on international terror. McCain has framed the argument. And now he has picked a mother of five to fill the roll.

LeeG
08-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Another interesting part of the story: Palin gave birth to a baby with Downs Syndrome in April... what does it say about 'family values', that the mother of a Downs Syndrome infant would voluntarily go through the rigors of campaigning for the Vice Presidency? Who is going to care for the child?

A nanny?

don't diss nannys, in my short lifetime of parenting, volunteering at day care, being a stay at home dad walking a stroller where nannys stroll, being around other young,,and old parents at the park I think a lot of nannys provide better child care than a parent with fuzzy boundaries constantlly correcting and mediating a childs interaction with the world.

Just because people can procreate means they should be care givers.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Statistically, the risk of Downs' Syndrome in an infant is closely related to the mother's age at conception) and Governor Palin is "pro-life".

If you are opposed to abortion, and are appoaching forty, the responsible thing to do is to use birth control. Millions of women across the world know this and have chosen not to risk inflicting Downs' Syndrome on a child, merely because they want another baby.

LeeG
08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
The motherhood issue is a real question. It may not be fair - but it is real. The republicans have framed the last election and this one as a campaign on international terror. McCain has framed the argument. And now he has picked a mother of five to fill the roll.

when you put it that way it really makes her look like a woman in the kitchen, regardless of who she is or her capabilities. Makes for some entertaining inner dialogues.

"ok, she must be a real go getter, all those kids AND kinda,,pretty,,that means she really won't be in the background,,oh crap she's probably got more on the ball than McCain and will be another stealth president like Cheney!,,
,,yeah but she is hot"

SamSam
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Just because people can procreate means they should be care givers.
Just because people can procreate doesn't mean they should.

Another One
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM

It still sticks in my craw, Pat. Maybe it speaks to her youth - parents of young children have a number of demands on their time which don't apply to empty nesters. I still don't see why Daddy can't tuck the kiddies in and run their baths just as easily as Mommy. And being the Governor of Alaska, presumably the family dynamics have already been worked out to allow her the flexibility she needs to do her job.

And why does motherhood make one incapable of dealing with international terror in a decisive way, if necessary?

Another One
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Statistically, the risk of Downs' Syndrome in an infant is closely related to the mother's age at conception) and Governor Palin is "pro-life".

If you are opposed to abortion, and are appoaching forty, the responsible thing to do is to use birth control. Millions of women across the world know this and have chosen not to risk inflicting Downs' Syndrome on a child, merely because they want another baby.

But many women who are opposed to abortion are also opposed to birth control.

PatCassidy
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I agree with everthing you stated. But this is about a popularity contest on a national scale with major international ramifications. Palin was elected govenor of Alaska with 114,000 votes. I just don't get it.

Another One
08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree with everthing you stated. But this is about a popularity contest on a national scale with major international ramifications. Palin was elected govenor of Alaska with 114,000 votes. I just don't get it.

I know. [sigh]

Can't wait till all of this is over. :rolleyes:

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
But many women who are opposed to abortion are also opposed to birth control.

So I understand. But there is such a thing as abstinence, which is recommended by many of that persuasion, or so I have been told.

Either way, it does not do much to encourage confidence in this lady's judgement.

Another One
08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
So I understand. But there is such a thing as abstinence, which is recommended by many of that persuasion, or so I have been told.

Either way, it does not do much to encourage confidence in this lady's judgement.

Be careful, Andrew, lest we drift into religious territory. You know how strident those discussions can get down here. ;)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Oops! Thanks for the warning.

I have a mentally handicapped brother (not Downs' Syndrome - encephalitis when he was two, but the effects are similar). Ruby and I have two sons and Ruby would very much like a daughter, but for the reason given we are working towards adoption.

Is that non-religious enough to be safe? It explains my reaction. :)

Another One
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Oops! Thanks for the warning.

I have a mentally handicapped brother (not Downs' Syndrome - encephalitis when he was two, but the effects are similar). Ruby and I have two sons and Ruby would very much like a daughter, but for the reason given we are working towards adoption.

Is that non-religious enough to be safe? It explains my reaction. :)

So you and your bride are to be parents of a child who very much needs a home, and whom you will bring into your life willingly, purposefully, and with significant personal and financial effort. Congratulations will be in order. That's the way parenting should be.

When your little girl arrives, send me your snail mail address and her size so I can knit something for her!

(Sorry for the drift, y'all.)

Mrleft8
08-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Jami.... I wasn't speaking of "Disenfranchised female voters" I was quoting the pundits who were speaking of "Disenfranchised female voters".... I was making fun of the PUNDITS, not the....Oh never mind, yer just looking for a reason to be pissed off....

Another One
08-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Jami.... I wasn't speaking of "Disenfranchised female voters" I was quoting the pundits who were speaking of "Disenfranchised female voters".... I was making fun of the PUNDITS, not the....Oh never mind, yer just looking for a reason to be pissed off....

No, actually, I'm realy not. (pissed, or looking for a reason to be). Sorry if I'm not effectively conveying my tone. I'm just rolling my eyes at the pundits, the political parties, and the whole silly mess.

PatCox
08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Its the most amusing election ever, and its hardly started. Crazy, senile, desperate(he's waited 8 years and he's too old) narcissist on one side, charismatic intelligent, but black man on the other. McCain showing just why you don't want him in control with this pick; a desperate, ill-thought-out, hail mary pass apparently the result of a hasty decision; panicked.

Oh, its gonna be sooooo funny, how he loses. The denial and frustration, the rage and the impotent fury, of those who live in a fantasy past, as a black man is elected president of the US.

ljb5
08-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Now that details are coming out about her brother-in-law scandal, there's a very real chance they'll do a Harriet Miers and withdraw her name from consideration.

She'll probably release a statement saying she needs to devote more time to her family and then they'll pick Mitt Romney.

I'm waiting for Hillary's response. All she needs is seven words: "Who? You've got to be kidding me!"

Nicholas Scheuer
08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
McCain is proving that his judgement isn't any better than Bush's.

Too funny!

Moby Nick

ljb5
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
...how could McCain claim 'good judgment' if his Veep selection was compelled to withdraw?

How could he get away with it?

Easy... he'd just tell everyone he was a POW and they shouldn't question him. :)

Bush did the same thing with Harriet Miers and the bottom 28% didn't even bat an eye.

George Roberts
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
"Palin gave birth to a baby with Downs Syndrome in April... what does it say about 'family values', that the mother of a Downs Syndrome infant would voluntarily go through the rigors of campaigning for the Vice Presidency?"

I guess that implies that mothers should not work. Or maybe it implies something about it taking a village to raise a child.

I rate the choices as 0 for 4 so far.

Tom Hunter
08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
The condisension aside, it means that we will either have an African American president, or that the first woman president of the United States will very likely be a Republican.

It means, without any doubt, that this election is a substantial break from the status quo, even more so than it was when Obama got his parties nomination. The two events are not the same, but either one stands on its own as a big step forward. Personally, I don't care why, it's still a huge change. Who ever wins we are all better off that we have candidates that reflect the make up of the country much more than we ever have before.

I don't know an awful lot about her, so I'm going to resevere comment on her qualifications and capabilities, I am sure they will become clear soon enough.

I don't regularly critisize people for thier opinions on the forum, but I am kind of amazed that she is under attack for being a mom.

Mom's get to vote, they get to run for office, run corporations, be governor or run for Vice President of the United States. In short, Mom's get to do what ever they damn well please, just like everyone else. Mom's get to do this because this is a free country, and we don't discriminate against people because someone calls them Mom, even if that person is young, has downs syndrome, or quite a few brothers and sisters.

StevenBauer
08-29-2008, 04:19 PM
I wonder how her lawsuit against the federal government is going to turn out. Could she end sitting across the aisle from herself in court? :D

Steven

troutman
08-29-2008, 05:59 PM
McCain will be the oldest person ever to be sworn in as president and his number two person is WHO?? Makes Dan Quayle look like a logical choice. She'll deliver exactly what? She must be a lunatic for the base. This is absolutely insane. I love politics.

MiddleAgesMan
08-29-2008, 07:22 PM
My GF is pretty much apolitical (she voted for Bush because he was better looking than Gore) but when she learned of Palin's selection she came to the conclusion McCain is certainly senile.

Hot Air
08-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Apolitical? She sounds kind of dumb.

Bob Adams
08-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Before you start, (oops too late) dissing this woman, you might consider that a politically inexperianced failed haberdasher from Missouri became what is widely considered a wise and fair president.

paladin
08-29-2008, 09:02 PM
where is Moosephart, Alaska...? never heeerd of it...

mdh
08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Before you start, (oops too late) dissing this woman, you might consider that a politically inexperianced failed haberdasher from Missouri became what is widely considered a wise and fair president.

That's true, and as he ended his term he was ridiculed as harshly as GWB is now. Palin also has more executive experience than BHO has. The election will be between BHO and McCain.

ljb5
08-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Yes, and a mild-mannered reporter named Clark Kent leads a double-life as Superman.... but don't get your hopes up too much. :)

Truman was also a judge, a senator (for 10 years) and a vice president before becoming president.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of political inexperience, where were you when they said the same about Obama? :rolleyes:

Let me get this straight.... Obama is politically inexperienced, but Sarah Palin is the next Harry Truman?

Gosh.

abbyj
08-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, and a mild-mannered reporter named Clark Kent leads a double-life as Superman.... but don't get your hopes up too much. :)

Truman was also a judge, a senator (for 10 years) and a vice president before becoming president.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of political inexperience, where were you when they said the same about Obama? :rolleyes:

Let me get this straight.... Obama is politically inexperienced, but Sarah Palin is the next Harry Truman?

Gosh.

Palin began her political career in 1992, Obama in 1997. :rolleyes:

Osborne Russell
08-29-2008, 09:58 PM

When did she begin her study of the constitution, and when did it end?

riptide
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM

Oh, please. Palin's first ten years count for nothing. Four years on the city council of Wasilla, and six years as mayor. Most high school principals have a more challenging job than does the mayor of Mooseport.

ljb5
08-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Palin began her political career in 1992.

On the city council of a town of less than 6,000 people?

Yawn. My manager has more direct reports than that.

And what did she do while she was there?

Introduced a sales tax, fired the police chief for political reasons, got sued, very nearly got recalled and used eminent domain to seize private property for her own pet project -- and got sued for that too!

How can a person make such a big stink in such a small town??

Not to mention, of course, that she's currently under investigation for abuse of power in the firing not only of her own brother-in-law, but also the Public Safety Commisioner.

Results of the investigation are expected within days of the presidential election. Naturally, she's already been caught lying in public statements and had to change her story. Now, she's trying to invoke executive privlidge to avoid answering any questions about it.

Do you guys really need so many scandals on your first day in office?

riptide
08-29-2008, 10:07 PM
And what did she do while she was there? Introduced a sales tax, fired the police chief for political reasons, got sued, very nearly got recalled and used eminent domain to seize private property for her own pet project -- and got sued for that too!

Let's see ... As mayor she fired a police chief for political reasons and used eminent domain to seize property for her pet project. As governor she used her husband and her staff to try to get her sister's ex- fired ... and when the public safety commish refused, she fired him.

Do I detect a pattern? Pretty strange history for someone who pretends to be the poster girl for ethical government.

ljb5
08-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Let's see ... As mayor she fired a police chief for political reasons and used eminent domain to seize property for her pet project. As governor she used her husband and her staff to try to get her sister's ex- fired ... and when the public safety commish refused, she fired him.

Do I detect a pattern? Pretty strange history for someone who pretends to be the poster girl for ethical government.

There's even more to it than that....

As governor, she replaced the entire membership of the Board of Agriculture and Conservation because she didn't agree with a decision made by the Creamery Board they had appointed. She fired them all, picked a new set who did what she wanted.

She doesn't seem to play well with others.

Her first response to disagreement is to fire everybody who opposes her. Sounds like a real bi-partisan team player. :rolleyes:

Tom Montgomery
08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Isn't that how Dubya, Cheney and Rumsfeld went through generals who opposed them? It seems to be a Republican thing.

Peter Kalshoven
08-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Not to pour gasoline on the embers, but you do all realize that she has more executive experience than JM, BHO, and JB combined? When was the last serving senator elected President? By my calculations, it was JFK. Something to think about.

Mrleft8
08-31-2008, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if she dropped out, citing "Family responsibilites" or some such.... Even the die-hard conservative elite are saying "What the hell is that batty old man THINKING!?"

ljb5
08-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Not to pour gasoline on the embers, but you do all realize that she has more executive experience than JM, BHO, and JB combined? When was the last serving senator elected President? By my calculations, it was JFK. Something to think about.

Yes, it is something to think about....

The obvious conclusion is that the idea of "experience" as a qualification is a red herring.

Some people would define "experience" as nothing more than the number of years spent sitting behind a desk. That's obviously not a good measure, because if it were, Palin would be at the top of the ticket, and nobody wants that.

Bush has eight years of hands-on experience in the Whitehouse, and the vast majority of voters don't want him around for one second longer than necessary.

It's time to stop talking about "experience" as a qualification and start thinking about qualities.