PDA

View Full Version : Shop-made outboard tiller extensions?

dmede
08-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Anybody here have any pics or plans of shop-made outboard tiller extensions?

I'm just going to get some DF closet rod for the handle but would like to see some ideas for the clamp on the tiller.

Rick Tyler
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I thought a section of PVC pipe and a hose clamp was the gold standard...

dmede
08-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I thought a section of PVC pipe and a hose clamp was the gold standard...

yeah, thats about all I can come up with on my own. But I'd like to see if anybody has come up with anything more sophisticated too. A faster release than a standard hose clamp would be nice.

Yeadon
08-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Does the manufacturer of your outboard sell an extension? If you're hell-bent on making the piece yourself, it might be interesting to take a look at the stock item to see how it attaches.

Lewisboats
08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
There are T type clamps that you adjust then cam up and down to open and close. Range is in 1 or so " incriments (circumference). Check with hose and pipe specialty suppliers. This uses a T shaped pull piece with a screw adjustable end. Oh...and you could use laquered Bamboo instead of PVC for a bit of class :-)

Steve

SaltyD from BC
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I bought an off the shelf unit made "to fit all outboards" earlier this year. It was for a skiff that I recently sold, with a 25 hp outboard. It worked OK, but it was a bit flimsy.

I can't recall the mfg'er but I'd recommend having a look at a decent marine store and you should find them. Again I wouldn't recommend using one, but you could get some good ideas. The mounting end was conoured to perfectly fit the twist grip of an outboard. I didn't realise they are all the same size/shape but I guess they are. It fit fairly snuggly just pushed on. And very snuggly with one stainless bolt tightened up. But like I said the handle was flimsy, and designed for slow speeds only as the warning stated.. It was composite tubing of some sort. It might even be worth buying one ( ~$25) and stealing the mounting end and attaching it to your closet dowel or other stronger shaft of some type...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Ok... so you want a photo of the turned and varnished tiller on my Seagull?

Thorne
08-27-2008, 01:02 PM
One option **might be** to glue a metal pipe female fitting on the grip of the outboard tiller. It could be cut with "L" slots to allow the tiller extension to mount via twist-n-lock with a bar through the tiller extension end.

Lewisboats
08-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Nice one...tricky to get right but nice...

Steve

catamaran29
08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
PVC, "slit" with two clamps does work well. But, I recently bought a small skiff and due to my size (getting on plane) and hunting fish I found the Minnkota trolling motor extension works very well. It appears a bit light, but I really appreaciate the foam handle and no sharp edges on clamps to catch my flyline. I paid about $30.00. MotorGuide has a similar adaptation. Both have removable rubber liners which allow them to fit gas outboards. Mine is a 1973 Johnson. Well lubricated twist grip is a must. I've been fishing saltwater Trout and Reds in North Carolina and putting lots of hours on the handle -- a lot of stop and go. Love it

DerekW
08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Anybody here have any pics or plans of shop-made outboard tiller extensions?

Instead of the so-slow hose clamp, I have an external sleeve which locks the traditional plastic pipe in place. It's just a piece from a plumbing fitting intended to mate with the pipe I used.

In use, the slotted end of the pipe is placed over the rubber twistgrip, and then the lock ring is slid down the pipe towards the powerhead. No picture handy, although I can get one in a day or two if needed.

A quick release skewer from a bicycle hub could be used to form a more sophisticated and elegant lock, but it seemed out of place on a plastic pipe :)

dmede
08-27-2008, 03:20 PM
I went down to the hardware store and just looked around to see what I could find and I came up with an 8" x 1.5" "slip joint" plumbing tube. It's chromed brass and thin walled. I think the thick, plastic PVC look is what I don;t like about that solution so this should look a lot better. It's a perfect friction fit over the OB tiller handle. I bought an ash rake handle that is just 1/8" shy of the right diameter so I'll have to pad it but I think it will work out pretty well. I'll get some pics up later. Thanks guys.

Wayne Jeffers
08-27-2008, 06:18 PM
yeah, thats about all I can come up with on my own. But I'd like to see if anybody has come up with anything more sophisticated too. A faster release than a standard hose clamp would be nice.

I used a piece of PVC conduit. I slit the end that clamps on the OB throttle/tiller in four places, 90 degrees apart. Instead of a hose clamp, I used several of the small stout rubber bands they use to bind bunches of broccoli in the supermarket. Roll them up toward the handle of the tiller extension to release. Roll them down toward the end of the PVC to "clamp" the extension to the OB throttle/tiller.

Holds securely. Only takes a second to roll it away and release the tiller extension.

Wayne