PDA

View Full Version : portlight installation

TEWK
11-10-2003, 09:58 PM
I have some 'new' portlights that I am going to install, replacing some smaller ones of a different design and which I do not believe were properly installed anyway.

I am wondering if there are special fasteners that one should use, as the side of the flanges which would be against the wood have a taper much like a countersink. It appears that the fasteners would have a shaft larger in the middle, which passes through the hull than the threaded ends. If I am on the correct path, does anyone know where I can find such fasteners?

ion barnes
11-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Hhmm, your missing some parts I think. Most portlights would have anything if it were a special item, barring that they would have to be wood screws or machine screws. And in some cases, Oh! I know what your looking for! Barrell bolts; Seen them in a West Marine catalog. Ok, they are like a bolt with a flat or oval head and the nut is, well it looks like the reverse of the bolt, a blind hole nut if you are savey to my lingo. Yes the nut round, not hexagonal, and would be the larger diameter compared to the bolt diameter, and have a similar head to the bolt. Hope that helps. Ion

Ken Hutchins
11-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Let's get with the program, the proper name is SEX bolts. :D Available here mcmaster-carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/)

redsail
11-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Don't forget the dolphonite or similar bedding compound to set the new portlites in.

ion barnes
11-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks Ken, thats another site for my list. West marine does not have them listed anymore.

TEWK
11-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by ionbarnes:
Hhmm, your missing some parts I think. Most portlights would have anything if it were a special item, Well, they are not NEW, which is why I put that in quotation marks. They are old Wilcox/Crittenden's #4, which we got a foundary to make the backing rings for.