PDA

View Full Version : Yacht Deliveries: Where To Start?

Captain Blight
08-24-2008, 11:14 AM
I think the title pretty well sums it up. This is something I think I'd like to get into. Where does one get started with this? And how?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jay Greer
08-24-2008, 12:22 PM
You might check with delivery skippers that are listed in such magazines as Cruising World. Used to be that we could just wing it, bringing a boat back from the coast of Mexico after a race. Marble Head to LA is a real long one! Nowdays, insurance companies get a bit fussy and ask for things like bonding and licenses. Needless to say, having your skipper's papers couldn't hurt either.
Jay

SchoonerRat
08-24-2008, 12:48 PM
A good start would be to go along on a few deliveries as crew. See if the work is for you. Delivery skippers earn their money. Go to a strange place, pick up a strange boat that you don't know the history of and that has been used hard by the owner for his vacation. Now you go to sea and take the boat home, against the wind at the wrong time of year. I've was lucky and had some cush deliveries, but they were by no means the norm.

Hwyl
08-24-2008, 12:56 PM
It's well known on here that I'm a delivery skipper. At best it's a part time job. I picked up a few qualifications along the way and that helps with the insurance companies.

I sent you a PM and will be away on a delivery for a couple of days(a boat that was on show in Mystic).

I have to be careful of advertising, so that's all for now.

bamamick
08-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Take care, Gareth. One of my dreams has been to help you with a delivery or two :).

Mickey Lake

PatCassidy
08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Fort Lauderdale is the hub of yacht movement. Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean in the late fall and Fort Lauderdale to New England and the Med in late spring. Check out "Dockwalk" and "Triton". I believe both publications are on line.

PatCassidy
08-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Here is the link for the Fort Laudedale boat show which is the biggest boat show in the world. It is held the end of October.

http://www.showmanagement.com/fort_lauderdale_international_boat_show/event/

Captain Blight
08-24-2008, 10:17 PM
A good start would be to go along on a few deliveries as crew. See if the work is for you. .
I've never sailed before in my life, my only qualification is that I know how to lay around boats the right way, I can cook out of a brown paper bag, I don't need much sleep, I'm not a chatterbox, and I'll do what I'm told when I'm told to do it with a minimum of backtalk.

90 days under sail and I can add a sail endorsement to my Z-Card, and any endorsement is always helpful. That's what the thread is about, how do I get started with this? Got some good advice so far, thank s a lot. Keep it coming if y'all know anything.

Kaa
08-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I've never sailed before in my life,

...that doesn't sound like a good start...

Kaa

sidsail
08-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Have a look at this site under crew position wanted/crew wanted... http://www.floatplan.com/ Many crewing situations, experience is not as important as compatibility, mechanical ability etc.. All the Best

Captain Blight
08-24-2008, 10:53 PM

KaaI'm sure this does:
I'll do what I'm told when I'm told to do it with a minimum of backtalk.

SchoonerRat
08-24-2008, 10:55 PM
If you're willing to work cheap (read that free,) delivery skippers do love help. I rarely paid crew any more than expenses and some pocket money. If it's experience you're after, I suggest hooking up with a boat that charters the Caribbean in the winter and the Med in the summer. The fun, sailing experience and lifetime of education will be worth it even if you don't come away with a dime. You should come away from an experience like that knowing if you really want to get into deliveries.

I started by taking racing boats home after a race, mostly boats that I was racing on or maintaining. I was a sailing junkie, and it never occurred to me that I could actually get paid to do this. I was happy just to go sailing. I only spent about 3 years doing deliveries of boats that I didn't know like the back of my hand. I didn't like the "unknown factor." I once had a horror trip on a big Hatteras that soured me forever on "stinkpots." Equipment failures, bad fuel, bad weather. It wasn't really, but I remember it as the worst time at sea I ever had.

willmarsh3
08-25-2008, 08:28 AM
I did my own yacht delivery in the summer of 2001. Ability with the mechanicals and electrical in at least one member of the delivery crew is a must, IMHO.
Please let us know how it works out.

SchoonerRat
08-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I did my own yacht delivery in the summer of 2001. Ability with the mechanicals and electrical in at least one member of the delivery crew is a must, IMHO.

AMEN to that!!

When you're a couple hundred miles out to sea it's kinda hard to find a mechanic who will make a house call. A good deal of self sufficiency is a requirement for anybody doing some serious sailing.

Rational Root
08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Why not - It's a perfect start - every delivery skipper started out that way at some point.:p

It's simple

1) Learn to sail.
2) Get several Years of sailing experience on many different boats
3) Profit !!!

If you want to know how many years experience you need...

Picture being the guy who owns a $50k yacht - it's your pride and joy. You start out asking the delivery skipper how long he's been sailing and he says about 1 year.

After you spit out your beer, depending on your mood, you either make polite excuses or tell him to sling his hook using some pretty flourescent language.

When you have come up with a number of years that would encourage you to entrust your baby (ie yacht) to this fictional mariner.... Now you know how much experience you need to have.

Kaa

Captain Blight
08-25-2008, 09:14 AM
I've stated this before, but I need to make clear again that I am not a captain. I only play one on the Internet. I hold a z-card with an able-bodied seaman's endorsement and I work as a brown-water riverine towboater; I'm not looking to start skippering sailboats back and forth, I wish only to work as crew (at least for now) when I'm not on my tugboat (30 days hanging around the house. And everybody who gave me advice upthread, thank you very much. If anyone else has anything to add, I thank you for that as well! :)

Kaa
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm not looking to start skippering sailboats back and forth, I wish only to work as crew

Oh, I misunderstood you then. I thought you actually wanted to deliver yachts, not crew on yachts being delivered :-)

In that case I agree with SchoonerRat -- as long as you're willing to work for free, you shouldn't have much problems finding a crew spot.

Kaa

Captain Blight
08-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, as far as that goes; as long as I'm willing to work for free, I shouldn't have much problem finding any job, anywhere!

SchoonerRat
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, as far as that goes; as long as I'm willing to work for free, I shouldn't have much problem finding any job, anywhere!

True though that may be, you MUST be willing to work for free to find a job crewing yacht deliveries!;)