PDA

View Full Version : gotta get this house insured...

Phillip Allen
08-21-2008, 09:32 AM
after the fire I recieved notice that State Farm was dropping coverage for my house (makes sense to me...burned up)

Now I need to get insurance again but don't really know how to shop for insurance...anyone got a step by step procedure for getting the best deal (not neccessairly the cheapest)?

capt jake
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Only deal with a company that uses agents. I once had insurance direct from the company (Minnesota Mutual) and called to ask them about a 'possible' claim. I wanted to know if it would adversely affect my rating and rates. 5 days later I received a letter of cancellation. I hadn't even received, let alone, filled out the claim form. Needless to say I filed the claim, but with a notice like that, I had to find a company that would take me as with the cancellation, I was considered high risk.

I know have an agent that I can field questions through, without to going to the bean counters at HQ. I have had horrible service from Allstate in past, even with my father in law being my agent. I have had good luck with PEMCO (they are great) I am now with Farmers and like th rates and service.

Gary E
08-21-2008, 09:42 AM
I recently "shopped" for car insur...just for the fun of it... tv ads ya know...
called Nationwide, and gave them the spec;s they said xxx, about 1/2 of the old Co I had been with of over 19 yrs.
Called the old co and asked for a re bid bassed on, if ya dont come close, bye bye... they would not budge...

Since you only find out who's "best" when it comes to PAYING a claim... how ya gona ever know?

For your situation, call an independent agent in the yellow pages.

capt jake
08-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I must add hat my wife was shopping for cheaper auto insurance also. Being s we have everything insured by one company now, we get discounts. I also opted for a million dollar rider which also reduced our overall rates, but you can only do this if all of your items are insured with the same company. I was amazed that the additional coverage only cost about an additional $150 year, but it also increased my coverage on everything.

Gary E
08-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Independent Agent and specially if he's a family friend really helps.
I remember long ago (1950's) when a storm blowed a lot of tree limbs down and one poked a hole in the porch roof.

Then one evening durring Mom and Dads bridge playing the conversation turned to the storm and since the other party was Dads insur agent, he asked what did you do?..did not see a claim come through? ( insur agent Milt knew how to change light bulbs, only the screw in type, not a clew about bayonet or flouressents ) Dad said he and I repaired it one weekend and thought nothing of it. Milt asked How much did the repairs cost?...Dad gave him a number and got a check in the mail.
Ya think that would happen these days?

capt jake
08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Milt asked How much did the repairs cost?...Dad gave him a number and got a check in the mail.
Ya think that would happen these days?

Uh.....no. :) I did receive a check one time for a claim on stolen property. When the property was returned, I took the un-cashed check back to the agent. He didn't know what to do with it. He had never had that happen before.

J P
08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
USAA?

(weird, this program won't let you run a string of all caps?)

Phillip Allen
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
U.S.A.A. ?

(weird, this program won't let you run a string of all caps?)

gotta go through edit/quote

J P
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
gotta go through edit/quote

Not following. Have to quote myself then edit it? I tried editing, added spaces, tried periods. Oh well, no biggie.

I'm not sure how USAA's homeowners compares, but I've had good service from them with auto and renters policies. I'll be getting a quote from them when I get the house done enough.

Phillip Allen
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
if your post is not up to your standards...edit it and it usually works...(go back and change to all caps)

J P
08-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Huh, now editing works, didn't before.

G'luck with the insurance

davidagage
08-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I have had USAA car insurance for 30 years!! only had 1 minor claim for a parking lot incident (<$1K), When we moved to FL I asked about homeowners coverage. They no longer write homeowners in FL!:eek:. I had to go with Statefarm (who is now patitioning the state for a 47% increase in rate!:eek:). Again, 20 some-odd years of home ownership and never had a claim...just fixed stuff myself..

David Tabor (sailordave)
08-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Gecko ads are the real deal....

paladin
08-21-2008, 06:39 PM
and good luck collecting with State Farm......The lady that hit me wouldn't even face me in a court room and her laywer (state farm) weaseled out by just buying me a new car......and the one she destroyed was brand new....didn't even cover the hospital bills....and my lawyer said at the outset we would never recover in Calvert County and he was right....

Captain Blight
08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
U.S.A.A. is the bomb. For real.