PDA

View Full Version : strip plank size suitability

Hadyn
07-17-2001, 07:09 AM
Will strips measuring one inch by just over one quarter of an inch work well on an Endeavour 17 foot kayak?
The plans recommend three quarters by a quarter, or seven eighths x a quarter. But I can't get bead and cove in that size in my city in Australia.
This is my first strip craft and I have no idea of the affect larger than recommended strips will have on the appearance of the kayak which I want to finish in Bright/varnished style... and be proud of the finish and look.
I have to order timber 6 weeks before use, and start holidays then, so would appreciate knowledge from anybody with experience in the strip plank construction field. So I get started on the first day of the holidays.
Any help on strip planking will be appreciated. Hadyn

NormMessinger
07-17-2001, 09:25 AM
I suspect 3/4" strips are specified because that is what one gets when 1/4" strips are ripped of a one inch plank. (One inch planks are measured rough prior to planing to 7/8 or more likely 3/4). If your one inch strips will take the bend, and they surely will, go for it.

--Norm

Tom Dugan
07-17-2001, 10:43 AM
I expect they'll work fine. You may have to do a little more planing/sanding to knock off the edges down to a fair curve, but that'll just serve to thin them down to what was specified in the first place. And you might end up with a slightly heavier boat than you would have had by using 3/4 X 1/4.

Go for it.

-T

Mike Field
07-17-2001, 11:25 AM
Where are you hidin', Haydn?

Will
07-17-2001, 11:30 AM
I would consult the designer .1 in. wide plank will be over twice as stiff as 3/4 in. accross the face of the planks .This may matter if allot of edge set ( sideways pulling )is required to plank that particular hull shape .

Todd Bradshaw
07-17-2001, 12:40 PM
I'm sure there are areas on the boat where 1" strips will work, but there are probably places where the radius of the molds is tight enough that narrower strips may work better. I'd check the forum at Bear Mountain Boats. It's http://www.bearmountainboats.com/peertalk/

We can sit here and guess all day, but that forum will put you in touch with a lot of people who have actually built that boat and know what to expect.