PDA

View Full Version : Covey Island Boatworks recovering quickly

Maritimer
08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Many thanks for all the condolences sent our way (I'm the communications manager for the yard) for the loss of the plant and for the loss of schooner Maggie B.*

Many of you will be pleased to know that company still plans to have the next project -- a 70' Jim Taylor schooner for a Nova Scotia customer -- underway next month. Office space has been rented in Lunenburg and the managing partners are scouting available construction spaces.

Although the company is looking -- and moving -- forward, last week's events still take some processing for me. I have been with the company half-time for fifteen years, live just a few miles from the yard and was one of the firefighters responding. The convenience store, across the street from the rubble, is where I get my gas in this rural area. I didn't think there were any pictures of the fire, but the local paper carried one today: http://southshorenow.ca/archives/081908/news/index039.php

BTW, although I wasn't aware of any suspicions, a Nova Scotia deputy fire marshal said the fire was not deliberately set:
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/384289

I'll check in again when there are more developments re: the recovery.

*Maggie B does not belong to us, of course, but to owner/captain Frank Blair who has demonstrated his grace in the face of his loss on this very Forum. However, Covey Island built the schooner and has been closely associated with owner and yacht since the planning phase. There's a great sense of loss.

Paul Pless
08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the update and goodluck on your continued rise from the ashes.

MiddleAgesMan
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the update, Maritimer.

I was only recently made aware of the fine boats that come from your yard, by means of the story about how Tom Goodwin selected your yard for his solar electric ketch. Tom's brother Pat was an old friend from our navy days on Eleuthera but I lost touch with Pat more than a decade ago. The stories of Tom's boat brought some fond memories of Pat and his family.

If Tom ever reads this I would appreciate an update on Pat. The last time we visited at his home on Paradise Island (summer, 1993?) he was pleasant and upbeat but his wife said he was ill; I finally quit sending Xmas cards when they started coming back.