PDA

View Full Version : I smell a rat - What is the angle?

Chris Coose
08-15-2008, 09:23 AM
I post a small propane space heater on craigslist yesterday
http://maine.craigslist.org/hsh/796173849.html

I get tis quick response:
"Hi...I'm very glad that the item is still available, thanks for the prompt response and i will love to make an instant purchase, so please and please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist, i dont mind adding an extra $50.00 for you to take the advert down from craigslist so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the item. I will also like you to know that i will be paying via check,and it will be over night payment due to the distance. You dont need to bother yourself with the shipment ok, i will do take care of that. So i will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check.

1. Your full name
2. Your mailing address be it residential or postal address
3. Your Phone Number.

Once again, I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping...i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check. Thanks
James"

I thought to ask him for his phone # but then I thought if I'm going to spend time entertaining myself I'd send it by the pack of thieves in the bilge first for disection.

So what's up?

The additional 50 bucks is just wrong on craigslist. No caps for the personal pronoun who writes like he's a banker in Africa. Checks. he's gonna send somebody by. Just wrong but why don't I want to proceed?

Phillip Allen
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Rat-rat-rat-rat-rat...

Paul Pless
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Ask him for a certified funds check and see what his response is.:p

CK 17
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure what the angle is, but he types with one of Niegerian scam accents. . . . .

ljb5
08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Pretty soon, he'll ask you to cover some incidental expense... probably ask you to give $50 to his mover to cover costs while he waits for his relocation pay.

He'll give you an extra large bank check, tell you to keep a bonus for yourself, and ask you to hand $50 to his friend.

Then his check bounces.

Check out www.419eater.com

Lots of hilarious stories there.

You can have tons of fun with this guy.

Chris Coose
08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
It's all in the check scam isn't it.

Tylerdurden
08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
It's all in the check scam isn't it.

No, its fine. He is just talking down to you.:D

John of Phoenix
08-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Once they get your account number... WHOOSH!

Yeah, this stinks.

Craigslist Nigerian Scams and More
Emails from Nigeria offering you more than your selling price if you accept their check or money order are typical. The fact that this is a scam may seem obvious but there are lots of variations on this theme that fool people every day. Don't add your name to the growing list of Craigslist fraud victims. Be smart, be aware and if in doubt ask your friends or someone with internet savvy what they think if things sound fishy.

This page details a few common Craigslist scams but no list is ever complete because new versions of old scams appear all the time. Once you know the common themes these criminals use you can usually spot them a mile away and they become little more than a subject of amusement.

To help avoid these scams Craigslist suggests that you keep all transactions local and don't do business with people that live beyond your local area. You are also urged to use caution and common sense as you should with all online financial transactions. I once received an offer for a purchase where the person said they lived in California but requested that I email the item to somewhere in Oregon. Now what's wrong with this picture?

Offering more than what you asked for is another odd piece of behavior. Who would make such an offer? Poor grammar and misspelled words are other clues. In the offer I mentioned earlier both Oregon and California were misspelled and English was obviously not their native language. That doesn't necessarily mean the inquiry is coming from abroad but it's certainly a red flag.

http://www.fraudguides.com/internet-craigslist-scams.asp

Keith Wilson
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Cash, cash, cash only. He'll go away - or if he doesn't, you'll have the cash.

Tylerdurden
08-15-2008, 09:43 AM
I usually respond cash or sex acts only.

Chris Coose
08-15-2008, 09:44 AM
My reply:

"Great.
let's have your phone # and a cashier's check for 300.

CC

Kaa
08-15-2008, 09:57 AM
My reply:

"Great.
let's have your phone # and a cashier's check for 300.

CC

Chris, cashier's check is not necessarily bulletproof. I recommend *cash*, preferably checked at your local bank.

Kaa

John of Phoenix
08-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Craigslist provides the following advice on avoiding scams to anyone using their service:
Trust your instincts
Deal only with local buyers and sellers
NEVER wire funds to a distant buyer, via Western Union or any other carrier
Be wary if the other party wants to use an escrow service such as BidPay, Squaretrade, or even PayPal
NEVER give out personal financial information (eBay or PayPal info, checking account number, SSN, etc.)
always remember the most important rule -- BUYER BEWARE

shamus
08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
I once received an offer for a purchase where the person said they lived in California but requested that I email the item to somewhere in Oregon. Now what's wrong with this picture?

When you email an item it gets stuck at the first wireless connection?:o

Dale R. Hamilton
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM
The fact that he refers to your propane heater as an "item" is all the proof you need. Who would do this? you would ask if the heater was still available. He can't because he sends this message to millions of people at a time.
How you Paul?

Dale

Phillip Allen
08-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I wonder if these guys make much money at this...any body know of an example?